Personal View site logo
Amelie short - Competition finalist - shot on 600D
  • My New Years resolution was to find a competition to enter and get something filmed, I decided on the Jameson Empire - Done in 60 Seconds competition and have been selected as a finalist!

Wanted to share the video and, if you like it, please vote for me on the link below.

Vote Here

Filmed on my Canon 600D(1920x1080 @ 24fps) over two days. I only decided to enter the competition at the start of January and the deadline was the 20th so I didn't have as much time as I would've liked, fitting it around my day job(animator/3D generalist). Decided to spend 2 weeks planning and refining the idea and a week to put together an animatic and then assemble everything from there.

Location is in my flat, actress is my wife(who is an actress, handy!), I've still got a lot to learn about lighting so I'm not entirely happy with the look. Lamp lighting for the sofa and laptop close up shots and we have no plug sockets downstairs so just had to suffer the ceiling halogens :(

Used a bare bulb for the close up shots of the hands which I'm happier with(the typing one worked best I felt)

I used the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for all of it, I'm kicking myself for not using the 50mm 1.8(what was I thinking!?) mainly on a tripod and a shoulder rig for the final shot outside the door.

Edited in Premiere and graded in After Effects using Colorista II, once again I was short on time but was able to get a general warm hue on the live action shots and a green hue on the computer screens in fitting with the Amelie movie and the colour palettes used for her appartment and the outside world. Ended up being so tight on the deadline I didn't get to do a noise reduction and sharpening pass unfortunately.

I was going to just do the computer shots in after effects and apply a filter to get the screen look but after some tests it actually worked best just filming the monitor so I stuck with that, most of it is just me manipulating layers in photoshop in realtime(in the splitscreen email shot the cursor that appears is the move one if you look closely, couldn't find a workaround for that :) )

If there are any lighting/gaffers on here living in the London area that are looking for projects to get involved in I'd love to hear from you, it's definitely a weakness.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. If you voted, thanks very much!

Comments and feedback welcome.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Good effort...nice (and intelligent) concept too.

• Thank you!

I delayed starting putting it together to help refine the idea, it was a really interesting exercise to break down a film into plot points and cram it into 60 seconds.

On the first pass of the animatic I'd already cut out some of the more expendable plot elements but had about 30 shots, which works out at 2 seconds per shot of course.

I didn't want the piece to feel like some of the other ones that just rattle through shots to get it all in so I just found ways to economise.

There was some sacrifice to be made, it relies on having seen the film for it to make total sense, I wanted it to work in its own right, but I hope I retained some of the charm of the original film despite adding the modern twist.