Personal View site logo
SDHC / SDXC Card Slot to Compact Flash
  • I have seen some simular products online, but nothing that that will do a SD to Compact Flash only the other way around. I suppose manufacturers could make one unless they run into copywrite issues.

There must be somebody with some electrical skills that can do this so that we can increase the bit rate and time we can record video onto the GH2. Unless its totally impossible

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • I've looked at the SD card to SATA hard drive converter, and SD ribbon extension cable, and wondered if I could fiddle around with that in reverse if I powered the HD. But the device's bus all seem to be max around 22 MB/s, so that's fruitless.

The problem with above is that you're still limited to 4GB file sizes, though there are 3.0 converters, that work with exFat.

In both of these cases, it isn't wiring, there is a chip in there to convert from one signal to another, data flows both ways through these things are they are both read/write devices, so while it may be possible, you're still going to need to get one that is high speed, which generally they are not, I'm not sure you'll find one that's -really- high speed.

Perhaps a high speed SDXC card reader, that's known to have a high read speed (USB2.0 bus is 480 mbps, USB3 3gbps iirc), SD extension cable, and wire the USB side to a 2.5" HD with some added power, also might need to cross over some of the wiring.. not sure..

Logically, there's reasons for both why it could work and why it couldn't work.

• Why do you need all this? Very high speed SD cards from Sandisk are available.

• I don't think even this has the high speeds of the SanDisk 64GB SDXC http://www.sonnettech.com/product/qio.html

Be nice if next generation had an eSata port

• @Athiril

Many USB 3.0 fast readers exist.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Do they read as fast as the top end Sandisk card or faster? The SD standard still has to negotiate protocols/mode and speed, etc.

@chrimsbroome

Now that the BlackMagic HyperDeck Shuttle has DNxHD, you have the choice between uncompressed and compression for various purposes. I think this will suit your purposes, and it actually exists and works.

• @all- its about saving money and getting bang for your buck. Just thought if anybody herd of such a method. As Athiril states the bus would be limited and so you would struggle unless some future tech can make one. I have seen some cheap SD to SATA interface to use a Flash Compact Disk as a Hard disk. I think that's cool alternative to a SDD Disk.

• Another good reason to do this would be if you have several cameras that all use Compact Flash and having the same cards being used across all camera's would be beneficial.

• The only reason why I would see this interresting would be to place a SSD drive at the end. Why bother with CFs?

• Would be interesting for redundancy (using two SD or SSD's)