Personal View site logo
Editing Codec : Prores/DNxHD/Aquamotion/seaQuake/etc.
  • I would like this thread to be a discussion of what is the appropriate required "flavor" or bitrate of an editing codec for a certain hack.

For instance, I am recording using the 100Mbps Aquamotion v2 hack, and I want to transcode to normal Prores 422, which is about 115Mbps for 1080p24. I don't want to transcode to HQ (220Mbps) or 4444 (330Mbps) if I don't have to. But am I losing quality? How much? I would rather have my file sizes be nearly half and have 98% of the quality of the hack, but I wouldn't make that sacrifice if I'm only getting 70% of the hack's capable quality. So some input from those who are more knowledgeable would be good.

Is this correct?

Aquamotion v2 100Mbps -> Appropriate Editing Codec -> Prores 422 or DNxHD 145

seaQuake 176mbs -> Appropriate Editing Codec -> Prores 422 HQ or DNxHD 220

Of course this thread should be an open discussion of different hacks and editing codecs not just relevant to me as the "Original Poster," I'm just starting things off.

-Chris

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • I always use Prores HQ. I think you may lose a tiny bit of detail if you use just Prores. You shouldn't be getting 220Mbps for HQ in 24p. I usually get around 170Mbps.

• ProRes HQ is overkill. Just use ProRess 422 and you are fine. You are coming from 4:2:0 8-bit image data.

• Just shoot some complex scene, compress to Prores422 and Prores422HQ. Then layer them, apply some strong curve and compare. In the end its you who have to choose.

I would say: If not going to grade heavily and not going to big screen Prores422 is enough. If one of the two cases apply go Prores422HQ.

I have also red some people using Neat Video to "convert" from 8-bit to 10-bit... (It is basicly blurring chroma channels dependent on contrast, restoring smooth gradients where you need them, keeping detail on edges).