Personal View site logo
Pancake 20mm f1.7 vs SLR Magic 12mm f1.6?
  • People, I would like to have these two lenses, but the budget would allow me to have only one for now.

Both seems good glasses, the main use is video and film, photography as secundary, The examples indicate both are greats and cinematographic look. So, i like much use mi GH2 in the night, the luminosity is therefore a necessary condition for my.

Some people say the Panix is best, and argue the SLR is a CCTV overpriced, that argument isnt mine, so, for the tests, I think the SLR is wonderful and the price isnt excessive.

Actually I have a 14-42 its a regular lens, but is poor in low light condition and noisy in high ISO. A FD 50mm 1.8, superb, great look and softness, but have a limited angles.

I need objective opinions, thanks

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • It is very strange question.

I can understand 14mm vs 12mm, but not 20mm vs 12mm :-)

As only prime, 20mm is much more useful, and I prefer 14mm over 12mm if you constantly have lens on body.

• 20mm is my 70% go to lens.
    12mm would be for very specific situations.

Y would recommend to go 14mm 20mm 35mm 50mm for primes

• Pick focal lengths based on framing needs.

Flickr must have groups for all lenses. See how others use.

• I use the 20mm whenever im in low light situations. works good. but im beginning to realize high iso's are useless. the noise is ridiculous and without having the knowledge to correct it sufficiently in post production it the 1.7 only goes so far. Im going to invest in some portable lighting.