Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks @artiswar. I like it, too.

• @artiswar hmmm... I removed the exposure adjustment around the center area.

test5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • @Shian Do you think that you'll make a version of your toolkit for jahshaka 3.0 (that is close to be out)? 'cause is said that it'll be compatible with ae plugins and third party plugins for ae.

• Personal favorite is the 4th image. The bright sign that's in the center of the photo looks dull in all the others.

• Hmm... I used ColorFinesse3 to lower highlight to 90... but that was a mistake. It muted the highlight a bit too much as @artiswar pointed out. The 4th attachment is the one without highlight adjustment from ColorFinesse. With enough lighting, it brings out the beauty of the green tone monster preset.

I guess there is no other easy way out. I would need to use the Pen Tool to select the overblown areas and do the manual Level adjustments. The last attachment is the one with Pen Tool corrections.

• @artiswar I lowered opacity of the cc layers. It's the 3rd attachment.

• @stonebat - Nice. I feel it's a bit muted. Especially in the highlights.

• I applied the ColorGHear presets on my friend's photo from his GF1.

1st one: original

2nd one: mostly default presets

3rd one: opacity reduced presets

4th one: without highlight adjustment from ColorFinesse

5th one: with Pen Tool & Level corrections

6th one: with more vignette

20120118-P1180377.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    20120120-night street-cc.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    20120121-20110120-j2j2-night-street-in-korea (0.00.00.03).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    test1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    test3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    test4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • does this work for Premiere cs 5.5 ?

• Hello @shian: Are you familiar with working linear 1.0 gamma? As I understand it we can sometimes benefit from it, whereas sometimes not. Particuarly when working with lights, blend modes, and particles will benefit - but not always color correction. Only in the highlights. Do you think you can tweak some of your fx for linear as well? Thanks. Looking forward to the new tuts! Keep it up!

• Awesome!

• @Magnus387 That looks great =)

• @shian Attached is a recent example of my work with ColorGHear, as well as the final video clip - I found that using Density, and Punch, making using programs like Twixtor, that require contrast and distinct edges in order to work, much easier... just another advantage. I tried slowing down this clip, using the raw file and I couldn't get it lower than 33% without it looking like crap. After some "Density, a 5D gamma setting, and Punching", I was able to get it down to 8%. You're a rock star.

password: thieves

Also... as someone who has done a ton of work with false HDR video, I will say that there is a combination of GHears that give you a very similar look. I'll post examples soon, but so far it's incredibly promising. Obviously, I'll run it by @shian first, as its his baby.

RAW.png
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
    ColorGHear extreme contrast.png
    1920 x 1200 - 3M
    Final.png
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
  • @shian

Just paid up for yr software and am trying to ride the steep learning curve. But from yr tutorials, am learning so much more about colour grading. Thanks for the hard work, mate

About the hack, v2 is good, but so is Drift's "Spanmybitch" We shot a TVC/corporate reel over 2 days at 10 hours each, had full production value, and the hack held up very well. Not once did it crash. Highest bit rate @76mbps 24p set to "all details"

• @Nino_Ilacqua sorry, I do have a tendency to mumble.

@RRRR after i finish shooting on the new short on Friday, I'll get back into development and new Tutorials.

Hope to have Legacy support this week. Been hard to find time to to do it while test shooting for this new project.

***Discoveries this week - the EOSHD's Roadrunner patch is unusable for what we're trying to do (Blade Runner-esque noir type lighting with heavy crush in post). Data rate hovers about 25Mb/s, and when shooting haze/smoke it produces a TON of noise and Artifacting, and the data rate drops to 14. Quantum v5 is noisy at anything short of - 2/3 EV. The data rate comes in at a consistent at 149Mb/s but won't span on my San Disk 32GB 95 card. We've settled on shooting Q v2 which hovers around 88Mb/s, spans just fine, and produces a smooth fine grain even at -2 EV.

• @shian I downloaded Colorghear and I am following the tutorials: everything is OK and very interesting so far. Only one thing: please try to speak a little slower and clearer, not everyone is english mother tongue!

• @shian: any chance for a high iso banding fix ghear? I know somebody had a work-around for AE for this problem.. Could be handy. If I have the time I could look into it, but I'm guessing you'd figure it out faster!

• LR4(beta) now allowing more "grading" options for video, wonder if this is using a 32 bit engine for colour too like AE? Would it be possible to offer your plug-ins for LR4?

• @Oedipax decent, the only time it's ever a problem is with the 50 wide open, but everybody has that problem.

• @shian, how is the edge to edge sharpness on it, any issues at wider apertures? Looks like a nice piece of kit!

• @spirit Canon WD-58H http://www.adorama.com/CAWD58.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

since the GH2 has a 2x crop factor, you really need a .5 to get all of your FOV back, but .7 gets you over half of it back. It makes a 50mm a 35mm, makes a 28mm a 20mm, and a 20mm a 14mm. I bought mine years ago to use on my old fixed lens PD150, and just had it lying around, went and got a 52-58mm step up ring, and mounted it. Thought it might create a ton of distortion, but it doesn't - no fish-eye effect. I use it on almost everything. Over half of my reel was shot with it, and everything in "Strictly GH2" was shot with it. (had to get a 46-58 step-up ring for the pancake lens, but still getting the same results. And on the 14-42 zoomed all the way out, there's some vignetting, but hey' it's a 10mm lens at that point)

• That's right. ColorFist. Let me try that in this weekend.

• I'll try and make a preset for ColorFist, that handles that, but since you are the one seeing it, maybe you could make one and share it with the group, just load your stills into AFX, add to timeline and make your corrections. Save animation preset to custom folder, go find the ffx file, zip it up and upload.

• Actually, @stonebat ColorFist will take care of all of that more quickly and accurately.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions