Personal View site logo
Panansonic IR interview - talks about GH2 hacker community
  • 41 Replies sorted by
  • Okay so in other words, the Panny marketing rep is full of crap.

• @brianluce: use some logic

Sensor is a well a sensor, it is a pickup device, and has a certain voltage run across it, and values are directly read from it (in the GH2's case), everything the hack does is only playing with those values/numbers after they have come off the sensor in the image processor. The sensor is still doing the same amount of 'work' to run constantly for 4 minutes than it does with higher bit rate and other things from the hack for 4 minutes.

• @brianluce

No, it is not true.

Hack does not touch sensor at all :-)

• Is it true what the rep says? the hack shortens sensor lifespan?

• Just good software engineering could overcome some of the troubles Vitaliy mentioned. As just one example if they're intent on selling the $5 memory cards all they would need do is read and write a test file to the card every time it was inserted or formatted which rated the card's speed and wrote a bit-rate limit to a spec file located on the card itself. We might see a "Detecting Media Capabilities" for a second or two (or it may be transparent to the user) but that would ensure media compliance across the board - if they actually wanted to deliver the goods so to speak. ;)

Also, what some may not be considering here is that Panasonic designs and manufacturers competing products. And in order to do that successfully they need to (or they think they need to) successively demote (read cripple) the lesser models. Remember, they're trying to sell a pro level video camera too. And there are models below the GH series yet as well. I know of several people on the forums for example who would not have purchased the pro video camera had the GH1 (or GH2) exploited the full function of it's potential. I myself would have gone for a G1 had both it and the GH1 been fully enabled at the time I made the purchase. Etceteras.

I just thought it was funny that the guy started to blame everything on software limits that to my knowledge don't really exist. Which of course is something a guy from marketing would do. Vitaliy nailed it. ;)

• They can use plain old .mp4 to avoid the constraints of AVCHD. If my memory is correct, that's how the GX1 records 1080/30p. Here's hoping future Lumix cameras will support high bit rate progressive .mp4 recording, in addition to the AVCHD format that they seem so attached to. We are seeing .mp4 more and more from other manufacturers. There's a JVC camera now that records 1080/60p at 35 Mbps.

• Yes, but they could theoretically use AVC-intra/AVC-Ultra for the GHx series too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVC-Intra

I think it comes down to what VK said, it needs to play on consumer devices and use cheap media since the camera was designed for the general consumer.

Maybe the next GHx model will be more "professional" and will utilize higher quality cards and higher level AVC. Then again, that might eat into their professional market and they won't.

Who knows.

• AVCHD is a brand name used by Sony and Panasonic to market a specific subset of H.264 encoder technology. While it's true that Panasonic is constrained by AVCHD specs to 25Mbps 8-bit 4:2:0 encoding quality, these limits are entirely self-imposed. In past instances Panasonic has seen fit to both extend the AVCHD spec and to step outside of it in order to market video features that standard doesn't support.

Technically, GH2 MTS files are internally tagged as High Profile Level 4.0 H.264 encodings.Maximum bitrate, color depth, and resolution of this and higher H.264 Profile Levels can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

• I believe that 1080 50p@35 or 50mbit/s mode in gh3 would not harm anybody.. I hope panasonic learned something from hacks and they make something similar to 24mbit HBR mode

• They could hide a switch in third menu level that needs to enter a code from the website. Then nobody could moan that he did not know. Then again.. people will enter the code, and then they will fail, and then they will blame panasonic, no matter what the huge red warning sign said... so I guess if I was responsible for the decision I would take the save route as well.

• Really? There are bitrate limitations written directly into the format? Sounds odd.

• AVCHD has clear limitations.

H.264 do not have such limitations.

And they really can't start making camera with 100-150Mbps. As returns numbers will be huge. It won't play on their new TV. It won't record on their $5 SD card. Many reasons to be unhappy.

• LOL:

AE: So there has been a lot of interest in hacking GH2s. Might you take to heart some of those optimizations they're making when you're looking at future developments?

DP: You know... Yes and no? We do take a look at what they do, and we take it very seriously, because obviously that's what the customer wants. There are some limitations within the hardware and within the system specifications. For example, the AVCHD format; you know, we have to stay within the confines of what that AVCHD format says. Yes, you can go outside that with some hyped-up features and firmware updates and that sort of thing, but then you're outside the normal specification, and for us as a manufacturer, we really have to stay within it. At the same time, we know the level that the sensors can handle, we know the amount of cooling it's going to take, and to push it past it's limits, you're going to degrade the life expectancy of the product. Now, with a hopped-up camera, you somewhat expect that. You know, it's just like a car; if you push your car to the limit, you know something's going to happen eventually, right? So, as a consumer, go for it! But as a manufacturer, we have to stay within the limits of the standards and what we know the system itself can handle long term.

Hehehe, this kinda sounds like a BS answer to me. I dunno too much but as far as I know AVCHD doesn't have any such limitations. Right? It's a file format, it only accepts parameters - and everything we do is nothing special. We only do what they didn't do. Whatever limitations there are, are determined by the hardware aren't they. It's kinda like blaming sensor noise on the JPeg file format. LOL He gets to the hardware limitations too but I just thought it was kinda funny that he started it off by claiming our mods were out of specification for the format. :D

Yup, "it's a marketing guy". ;)

• @Strangways

Again. It is marketing guy.

And as usual, do not understand a shit about the products.

• What I found interesting:

"The GH2 has a full digital Micro Four Thirds 16 megapixel sensor, whereas the GX and the G3 have analog 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensors. The numbers are the same, but the technology is vastly different. Now, what the digital version gets you is far better video--far better, faster readout rates--but it’s a lot more expensive. So between the two cameras you get a better video read on a GH2 than you will with a G3, for example."

• I have only one for this. It is marketing guy.