Personal View site logo
CES 2012
  • 60 Replies sorted by
  • If I get back to Fuji, I will ask about the bit rate on the X Pro 1 and PAL support. I should be able to check on the shutter speeds pretty easily - they are all listed right on the control wheel on top of the camera!

I can say that I do not think they are aiming at the videographer. The rep said, and re-confirmed when I asked, that they only shoot 1080/24p. I asked about 720p and he said he wasn't sure on that. My sense: he knew the camera inside and out on still photography but I do not think he had given much attention to video. That's why I do not think they are aiming this at videographers, even though it does shoot video.

• @edwardm Can you ask Fuji about the bitrate of the X1-Pro? And about the shutter speeds for PAL area's? 24fps with PAL 50hz and NTSC shutter speeds 30,60,125 etc. don't go very well together. What about available controls during filming? What is the ASA rating for low-light? Does Fuji aim at the videographer/filmmaker?

• I had good conversations with some Panasonic people - suggested they need to get some faster lenses out, and had a conversation with some there on the need for some camera vendor - like say Panasonic - to release a software development kit for at least one of their cameras. I gave them the whole story on how this can create a network effect ecosystem that increases their market share and differentiates their products in the market. That means that 3rd parties add value (think of how 3rd part software makes Windows, Mac OS X, the iPhone more valuable to you as a consumer). As 3rd parties add value, the camera's "ecosystem" grows and everyone wins - more great ideas get implemented, more cameras get sold, 3rd party developers make money, and the consumer gets some great new capabilities.

I suggested they start with one camera, such as the GH-2 :) The guy I spoke with "got it" and said he will follow up with others at Panasonic. I intend to discuss this with more people - but I emphasized that the work done by the hacking community on the Lumix and the Canon cameras has created an enthusiastic group of followers and influences buying decisions. I bought a Canon Powershot a while back just so I could use CHDK and some scripts for some capabilities I wanted. When explained to them in terms of selling more cameras, they became very interested. This effort will take more than just this one conversation though.

A friend suggested camera companies may be afraid to allow this sort of "expansion accessory" and possible risks and loss of control. But as I pointed out, Apple lets 3rd parties write software for their iPhone and Microsoft/Nokia let 3rd parties write software for the Windows Phone. It can be dealt with.

I think they need to start with a single camera - preferably higher end - to understand the opportunity and the risks. And because the higher end enthusiasts are more likely to embrace this capability, initially. Can't wait to see that software development kit for the first software expandable camera!

• Where's Olympus? Olympus does not have a public booth at CES this year. Instead, they are in private meeting rooms in the Convention Center only. No public display.

Pentax, acquired by Ricoh Imaging, is located in a separate convention center that I hope to visit on Thursday afternoon.

• This is raw footage of Panasonic's 3D video cameras. Note the monitor atop the camera and how it oscillates back and forth between the left and right images, providing a simple glasses free 3D perspective for the camera operator. You should be able to see the 3D effect in this 2D video.

(At the time I posted this, the video clip was still being processed by Youtube)

• The Canon G1X. This new camera is a bit like their Powershots, but not really. First, it has an optical viewfinder, not electronic. Second, it has a large format sensor, almost as big as an APS-C sensor. This is the first compact-type, all-in-one, to feature a large sensor.

Unfortunately, the countertop folks did not explain the features and benefits of the G1X very well; may be they were tired. CES is pretty exhausting. But the G1X brings DSLR like capabilities to a high end, all-in-one, kind of like a point n' shoot camera. This also seems intended to compete with the large number of mirrorless cameras (the Samsung NX 200 has an APS-C sized sensor, for example).

The zoom and auto-focus both work while shooting video.

Overall, the G1X has similarities to the all-in-one Powershot, but with performance more like that of a DSLR. This might be purchased by someone that wants high performance, high image quality shooting - without having to carry a larger DSLR around. It might also be carried by a serious DSLR shooter who - at times - would rather just carry an all-in-one for convenience, yet get the quality shots typical of a DSLR.

I've also added a photo of the Canon ELPH 520 HS. These tiny cameras are amazing. Due to their compact size, a little camera like this would very useful for shooting 3D as a pair. With this small a camera, the two camera lens would be space fairly close as compared to trying to shoot 3D through dual DSLRs. (I shoot 3D using two GH-2s).

P1030731.jpg
    800 x 533 - 80K
    P1030738.jpg
    800 x 533 - 88K
    P1030740.jpg
    800 x 533 - 70K
  • Guys, remember to support Edward. Just donate and add "CES" as comment. He'll get all donations.

• This post was an accidental duplicate - I deleted the text.

P1030712.jpg
    800 x 533 - 66K
    P1030713.jpg
    800 x 533 - 113K
    P1030717.jpg
    800 x 533 - 70K
    P1030720.jpg
    800 x 533 - 68K
    P1030721.jpg
    800 x 533 - 75K
  • Finally, the Fujifilm X Pro 1. A really interesting concept - it greatly resembles an SLR (not a DSLR). The control knob on top has shutter speeds - just like my old SLR. Very traditional styling, but impressive, modern features.

The X Pro 1 features both an optical viewfinder (rangefinder type), an electronic viewfinder, and an LCD panel.

They've got an APS-C sized sensor, but not just any APS-C sensor - this one is a new design that features very low noise levels and eliminates the moire pattern problem. I've heard that, at least some pretty impressive ISO levels, it has less noise than the Canon 5D.

The rep I spoke with did say that at 1080p, it is limited to 24fps.

This 2nd photo shows the controls a bit better. At top left is an exposure compensation knob. The large knob to the right sets shutter speed, and other modes. I believe I heard the rep say that the camera will even accept a traditional shutter release cable.

• Samsung has introduced a new f/1.4 lens for their mirrorless NX200 camera. The lens makes the camera rather front heavy, but the lens shoots some beautiful photos. We need to see more fast lenses (my bias) like this for many of the mirrorless cameras. I found the NX200 to have a very clean user interface. Pretty much all controls are on the menus, but they are easy to navigate - the instruction manual for this camera is probably the best camera manual ever written (Nikon manuals come in closely behind this - they too are excellent).

P1030695.jpg
    800 x 533 - 52K
    P1030697.jpg
    800 x 533 - 68K
  • The Nikon 1 system, announced a few months ago, would appear to have an exciting future. This is Nikon's mirrorless system that works with Nikon F-series lenses. Shown here are concept lenses and accessories that might be available in the future plus LCD panels, mini projector attachment, and also a Wifi attachment.

P1030673.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 140K
    P1030676.jpg
    800 x 533 - 61K
    P1030679.jpg
    800 x 533 - 75K
  • Sigma has introduced two new Micro Four Thirds lenses.

I messed with their heads by showing them my 1970s era Minolta-mount, Sigma-made 28-70mm f/2.8 zoom mounted on my GH-2... image

P1030670.jpg
    800 x 533 - 84K
  • In addition to the head mounted concept, there are now several "weatherized" cameras that are water proof to 40 feet (about 13 meters). Nice demo in the fish tank! image

P1030644.jpg
    800 x 533 - 131K
  • Panasonic was showing a couple of concept products. These are not real products yet, but they said its okay for me to take a picture and post online. The first adds WiFi to an existing Lumix camera that feeds video to an app running on a nearby smart phone. The second concept product is a head mounted video camera that also feeds output to a smart phone app.

Here's the second - head mounted camera. I suspect this follows the success of the GoPro HERO product. I walked past the GoPro booth but did not have time to stop - they did attract a large crowd indicating a lot of interesting what I suppose we might call "active video" photography. image

P1030640.jpg
    800 x 533 - 66K
    P1030642.jpg
    800 x 533 - 65K
  • Sharp demo'd an 8k LCD display. Many vendors are showing 4K displays now. This resolution level, for this size screen, exceeds the ability of many people to discern any difference with lower resolution displays - this affects anyone whose eyesight is not perfect (many of us). But otherwise - this is a fantastic achievement. When do we get the 8k upgrade at 1 Gbps compression for our GH-2? :)

Sharp8kLCD.jpg
    800 x 533 - 67K
  • JVC was demonstrating two 4K camcorders. They are very small but intended for the professional market.image

P1030623.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 122K
  • The Panasonic rep told me that they are planning to have a total of 20 micro four thirds lenses in their lineup by the end of 2012. Competitively, they need to get there with more lens options. I (and I am sure many others) would like to see some faster lens in the line up.

• The two Panasonic concept lenses are both X lenses, which presumably means powered zooms. Both are also fixed f/2.8 through the range.

The one on the right is 12-35mm. The one on the left is 35 to 100mm.

• Hello all, I am at CES. I have been very busy with my own business interests. But of course, I would rather hang out with all the camera folks.

I have many more still photos that I will be posting shortly this evening. Internet access from the hotel and from a nearby cafe that I tried are both super slow - a little better than dial up modem speeds but very slow. With the slow connections, video will likely have to wait until I return home.

I'll be posting photos in a bit.

• i would like to see what's writted on the lumix book (picture with all lenses)

• Concept means that we can wait for another year... and it will cost a fortune.... hope canon will come up with something until then, because up until now there is not even a 1 good zoom lens for M4/3... which is a big shame...

• Do the new zoom lenses have the O.I.S toggle switch or is that for zoom? After all of the IS problems with the other x lenses I want to be able to turn it on and off from the lens.

I think this picture shows that the switch is for O.I.S on and off and not for zooming.

http://www.photographyblog.com/images/uploads_news/panasonic_ces_2012_photos_01.jpg

• edit: different topic for the zooms..

• So is it confirmed that the fast zooms are 2.8 like in the foto?

• Photos of new panasonic fast lenses made by Edward:

image image

lenses_1.jpg
    800 x 533 - 83K
    lenses2.jpg
    800 x 533 - 68K