Personal View site logo
5.1 Audio
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • not that informative but still interesting,

• so what everyone is saying is that besides the dialogue in the centre channel (mainly), everything else is being creative?

pS i´m just making this question to know a little more, i don´t have any proyect in 5.1 yet but i want to learn though

• well i found something useful on a friends facebook from the tribeca film institue webpage http://www.tribecafilminstitute.org/blog/134125218.html

Audio output:

Channel 1: 5.1 track: Left
    Channel 2: 5.1 track: Right
    Channel 3: 5.1 track: Center
    Channel 4: 5.1 track: Lfe
    Channel 5: 5.1 track: Left Surround
    Channel 6: 5.1 track: Right Surround
    Channels 7+8: Full Mix Stereo L&R
    Channels 9+10: M&E Stereo L&R

Special note on audio channels: At the very least, you’ll be expected to deliver a Stereo mix, as well as DME separate channels. Preparing the audio configuration properly can go a long way to getting around complications on promotional materials and music licensing. Plan your audio mappings in your sequence accordingly so it will be easier to output separate DME tracks, which can go a long way to enabling clips to be used promotionally without out-of-context music licenses.

• He don't put a lot in the rears I can tell you and most of it down the centre ;p

There are no strict rules, aside from fairly obvious ones like keep dialogue in the centre channel (mainly) and don't go mental with the rear channels - oh and the "sub" isn't a "sub" it's a low frequency effects channel, don't use it to beef up the mix due to small speaker compensation!There are, however, lots of hoops to jump through to deliver the audio in the correct format and within the required levels, a few plugins like Neyrinck and Nugens Loudness plugins can help if you are not a mixer, keep it simple :)

Drop me a line if you need any in depth help, I'm sat here now trying to wrangle a mix into SKY 1's interesting 5.1 divergance delivery requirements - gotta love the CALM act @_0

• this might be use full: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/5-1_surround_sound_FCS2.html

if you have to deliver your 5.1 mix to someone make sure to talk to this people before doing stuff ...

also google Walter Murch's take on Final Cut X (its a video from a Boston FCP user group meeting or so ...) if I remember it right he talks there about where he puts stuff in his 5.1 mix ... not sure though ...

• Or use 3D software (like Cinema4D) to place all mono sources in a 3D modell of you setr and render the 5.1 sound for a virtuell audience.

Good 5.1 that supports the picture is not easy to do.

• In good software editors you can select 5.1 for project and position any mono sources (audio tracks) in the 2D space.