Personal View site logo
Music Video shot with Quantum V5
  • I just got back from my first music video shoot with the hacked GH2, after shooting with a hacked GH13 for the better part of two years. Unbe****inglievable. Used Quantum V5 the entire time - I'm probably going to be grading this with @shian 's new Colorghear tool after I watch a bunch of tutorials (loved the grades that were coming out of his vimeo channel, major accomplishment @shian) - but for now I did a just did a quick and dirty Magic Bullet grade to show the band some of the footage. Hope you enjoy, and suggestions, comments, and perhaps even downright insults are always welcome.

The 1st grab is at full resolution, and then my fCP decided it no longer wanted to continue exporting so the rest are smaller screen captures. Also, the different aspect ratios were done on purpose so the band could see what they liked.

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • I should add, that I found the sharpness (even when put at -2) to be too much, and so that first image does have a Gaussian Blur on it. Attached is the same image without any correction or Blur.

Danny2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Grabs look great, nice work!

What lenses were you shooting on, by the way?

• Thanks @Oedipax The whole video was shot with:

7-14mm zoom, 14-140mm zoom, 20mm f1.7 pancake, 25mm f0.95 Voigtlander, 50mm f1.4 Canon FD, 85mm f1.2 Canon FD,

The first grab was taken on the long end of the 14-140, the second (close-up shot) uses the 85mm f1.2, and the other two were using the voigtlander.

• link to the video?

• @stanlymanly2 Still working on it. But here is a link to the intro that I put together last night, the music is just a placeholder. Enjoy!

Password: thieves

• Uh, WOW!!!!!!!

• @shian Thanks! Gonna be even better after I get used to colorGHear

• Damn Magnus i dident see that one comming. That looks real, real good....

• That looks amazing! - looking forward to seeing the rest of it!

• One thing I've gotta say. Using @shian 's Tony Scott setting on ColorGHear, and toning it down slightly has proved to be the most fun I've had in a very long time.

Raw2.png
    1280 x 720 - 816K
    ColorGHear2.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • @magnus387 wow...that's amazing, looks like i'm definitely going to have to look into @shian's ColorHear now

• @magnus387 Yes, that looks great. Looking forward to seeing your finished work.

• Zehr kewl, dude! I had no idea that you did the Ahser Roth vid. That was my favorite video last year!

The new one looks tremendous.

• Thanks for the kind words all.

• Mind f#ck. Especially finding out you did those Asher Roth vids too. I really enjoyed those also. Great work Luke

• @magnus387 if you're liking Tony... watch the ColorFist tutorial and play with that... fun doesn't begin to cover it. Not to mention the Tone Monsters (especially on footage shot in mixed color temps) are the most fun to play with, and really get me giddy sometimes.

• @shian I'm making my way through the tutorials, and I'm very appreciative of the detail you go into. I will admit to using After Effects for the first time on this project - I'm a final cut pro guy. Having the option to do my edits in fcp and then transfer to AE is huge. I did a brief test to see if I could match a color grade done using ColorGHear with one using fcp color corrector and magic bullet. I got pretty close, but there is something about the image in ColorGHear, which, as your say burns through the screen. At this stage it would probably be more time efficient for me to just stay in FCP, but it would drive me insane knowing that a project could have been just 'that much better'.

• @griplimited glad you dig the Asher visuals. Basically went without sleep for 3 months putting those together.