Personal View site logo
GH2 settings for low light shooting
  • 64 Replies sorted by
  • Try the rigs patch works great on low light

• @berndporr I´m looking for this too. I´m trying the last driftwood settings, they have high bitrate also in the dark. I´m not shure if the Dark Matter settings are less noisy than the sedna matrixes on low light?

• Cbrandin's 44mbps, 12 gop, AQ 4 patch looks best so far to me. It never goes below 25MBps (in contrast to Flowmotion which drops to 5MBps ! in low lit areas). Still there are loads of blocking artefacts in areas of low exposure which I really find annoying. Has anybody done any work on this to minimise this? I recently shot a scene in a corridor which is pretty dark until somebody opens a door and light comes in. Before the door opens the blocking artefacts are horrible. I've got the impression that the GH2 throws away virtually all DCT coefficients (except DC) in darker areas which just looks horrible and then still manages to write at 20MBps (which I don't get).

• Guys, this is Terraquake in some various ISO settings..the first is set at 160, the second 320 and the third 640. I'm a film noir fan, so I actually like the first one...damn good detail in low light, thanks again Mr. Driftwood.

• @mbowen84

what a hell is going on with this series? already have saw some similar posting, like I should post my favorite show in middle of a discussion? or this is time out? fck

• Here are the 24H mode numbers.

Factory Default 22 mbps
    SpanMyBitchUp 76 mbps
    AQuamotion v2 100 mbps
    TerrAQuake 166 mbps (with smaller frame sizes for cards that can't handle the larger ones)
    SeAQuake 166 mbps (with larger frame sizes for faster cards)
  • I'm scratching my head :)

So Aquamotion would have a higher bitrate than the SpanMyBitchUp that I'm using now... I think you are right.

Would be nice if people is using this patch give us some number or maybe @driftwood himself

Bye
  • @LongJohnSilver My understanding was that Driftwood listed them in acending bitrate order.

"SpanMyBitchUp patch is good quality for spanning with long record times.
    AQuamotion v2 is medium-high quality with decent spanning recording times + 80% slowdown / EX TELE.
    TerrAQuake is seAQuake but less quality frame sizes for poorer type 10 cards.
    SeAQuake is Very High Quality for hi-end SD cards."

So the "less quality frame sizes for poorer type 10 cards" was relative to the previously available SeAQuake, not to the patches listed above it.
  • @svacko

Nauticam NA-GH2 with 4.33" dome for lumix 8mm f3,5 fisheye

http://www.nauticam.com/product.asp?id=121

Depending on the type of photo/video you are interested in, there are several lens/choices:

http://www.nauticam.com/images/product/pdf_121_2.jpg

For wide shots you could opt for the rectilinear 7-14mm (too expensive for me) or the cheaper (and worse) Oly 9-18mm

For macro work you have the expensive Leica 45mm.

The 10Bar housing is way cheaper but it has (only) 60m operational depth.

Here you have some examples of the Nauticam capabilities:

http://www.youtube.com/user/zyzzyvas/videos

Each dome is designed for a specific lens so no way to use different lenses...

Once you prepare the camera for the dive, it is safe opening the housing at home after a deep rinsing and drying. so, once in water, you need enough recording time on your card.

Of course, for the murphy's law, you'll encounter the Little Mermaid once the SD is full :)
  • @Meierhans

TerraQuake is defined "worse" or maybe is more correct "just with less performance" by @driftwood himself:

*** NEW TerrAQuake *** This is seAQuake verB for poorer type 10 cards. Very slight drop in frame size to work on non top spec type 10 cards.

From what I understand from his post in the patch vault:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/25865#Comment_25865

The TerraQuake is designed for poorer class 10 cards, I was expecting a lower bitrate than SPANmyBITCHup.
    Maybe I'm wrong because bitrate is not the only parameter involved in a good patch.

As I said, recording time is paramount for me (uw use), so I was looking for the best balance between low light and recording time.

Would be nice is this excel file would be updated by the patch owners (I understood that the first complete revision should be done by them....)

Bye
  • @LongJohnSilver
    what kind of uw housing do you have? Also what lens is best for uw shots?

thanks.
  • I may be thinking about my 32Gig card, maybe I am mistaken on that ,yeah...Dont have my camera with me today either..
  • "TerrAQuake while being worse than the other patches has 22M 176M" ehmm... its not worse, its higher bitrate. I thought it was clear that highest possible quality + GOP 1 results in large files...
  • @No_SuRReNDeR I'm getting about 27 minutes with SPANmyBITCHup on a 16GB, 30mb/s

For SPANmyBITCHup on Ptool on video bitrate 24H I see:

22M and 76M

Aquamotion has a higher bitrate:

22M and 100M

So I should expect a shorter recording lenght.

Unfortunately the Patch Vault Summary chart was never updated

Edit: I'm seeing that TerrAQuake while being worse than the other patches has 22M 176M so there are other settings to keep in account...
  • @LongJohnSilver I believe get almost 30 minutes 29 something...on the same card with the regular Aquamotion v2...if I remember right.
  • @nic2011 I'm interested in record time for a SanDisk 16GB, 30mb/s too

I'm using the GH2 for underwater shots so a low light patch is paramount.
    Once the camera is placed inside the uw housing there's no way to change the SD card so a decent recording time si needed (or a bigger card, of course :) )

Thank you in advance
  • I just did a test vid indoors with the stock 1.1 firmware and and I got a bit rate of 8. A new record low bitrate for me.
  • @nic2011 record time for a SanDisk 16GB, 30mb/s?
  • Weird - on my pc it works. But here is the content

[Information]
    Comment=nic2011. Modified Version of Driftwood´s Quantum and Aquamotion patch.
    SD_Card=Good class10
    Camera=GH2 v1.0E
    [Settings]
    Version increment=1
    30min limit removal=Checked
    Maximum ISO limit removal=Checked
    PAL<->NTSC Menu=Checked
    Video Bitrate 24H=100000000
    Video Bitrate 24L=80000000
    Video Bitrate FSH/SH=68000000
    Video Bitrate FH/H=44000000
    Auto Quantizer for 1080 modes=4 - All to details
    Auto Quantizer for 720 modes=4 - All to details
    720p50 GOP Size=24
    720p60 GOP Size=30
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=1
    1080i60 GOP Size=3
    Encoder setting 1 720p=2
    Encoder setting 2 720p=1
    Encoder setting 3 720p=2
    Encoder setting 4 720p=4
    Encoder setting 1 1080i/p=2
    Encoder setting 4 1080i=16
    Video buffer=0x3000000
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
    1080p24 FB2=1184023
    1080p24 Frame Limit=4108888
    60fps Frame Limit=1088808
    50fps Frame Limit=1308088
  • @nic2011

I think there is something wrong with the file you posted - I can't open it.
  • I just wanted to touch base again. In the meantime I wasn´t lazy. Although I havn´t really a clue of doing a patch I messed around with some settings of driftwood´s Aquamotion + Quantum patches. It seems that I´ve got one now that is reliable + stable in every mode (24p, 720p60 and 1080p 80%) with a Sandisk Extreme 30MB. Of course with a lower bitrate but the results are looking very good to my eyes. And in low light it shows a pretty good noise behavior and the high bitrate holds even in lowlight at a high level. Please can someone of the experts take a look at it. Maybe something is wrong or could be improved... thanks.

Edit: The first patch was wrong. The second is the right one...

setb.zip
    513B
    setb.zip
    565B