Personal View site logo
MultiCopter Controller Full Set
  • 39 Replies sorted by
  • hey it's snowing in this forum !
  • >equipment doesn't make you cinematographer nor photographer, it's a start point, buying a Red Epic doesn't make you Peter Jackson so competitors won't grow up as fast as mushrooms in a forest..

You are wrong here.
    Equipment doesn't make you anything, but the cheaper and more accessible good equipment is, the more people start to learn something and start to compete in some niches using this equipment.
    I have some talks with video guys (doing small commercials, weddings, etc), etc and competition in low end, and now in the mid end is fierce.
    You can also check your local music market. Most of the guys will work for free.

Last time I checked aerial community, safety had not been 80%, or even 95%, of their talks, as it is in yours :-)

>I'll probably be already in a different new market..

In which one?

>plus if there is nobody you are probably in the wrong business.

Probably you are in exactly right business in this case :-)
    Normally, it is always called an ideal situation :-)

>it's good to have competitors, you increase your product quality, optimize the job !

This is common words. People do not think in the same way. At least I don't know anyone who said this words after he lost his job or big contract. Their words had been something like "Fuck this young fucking motherfuckers! Damn bastards!" Yep. Just longer :-)

>has no sense to explain this in a public forum and I rather close this topic here.

Why not?
    Are you explaining this regularly in the private forums?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev You are right on many accounts.

>My understanding is that it needs many sensors, GPS, some heigh measurement approach.

There are many different sensors that do different things, different flight controllers are designed to work with or without different sensors.

• And here is an example of what a conventional R/C heli can produce. There is no way I could have made some of these moving shots as smoothly with a current multicopter platform.

• There is also this to consider but is mostly aimed at commercial at this stage. Information only, not trying to put a dampener on things, so please don't flame me.
    http://mi6films.com/2011/rc-helicopter-mikrokopter-hexa-helicopter/faa-has-restricted-all-rc-helicopter-flight-in-the-usa-airspace/687/
    http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/145993-rc-aerials-illegal-says-faa.html
  • @Rambo I dont know about that FAA letter but I live in St Paul, MN. There's this guy that flies his rc helicopters and planes in his open park just next to a district court almost every day. Cops every where and stuff. Also it's quite a busy area. He's pretty good at it. I have never seen any authority talk to him to stop.
  • Maplins have just reduced the price of their stocked, Silverlit Spy Cam 3 Channel Gyro Helicopter, for any budding chopper filmmakers to learn on - could be a good little practice toy to learn before upgrading to the bigboys! It's on promotion until 22/02/2012 at £49.99 down from 80 quid. The helicopter, with electronic gyro for directional stability, features a built-in camera for digital photographs and HQ video recording.

• @Vitaliy No offense, but the guys with experience that are talking about all the negatives and problems are not afraid you will take their jobs. They are trying to look out for you so you don't lose a lot of money and waste a lot of time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• In reply @Rambo, it is sad but true - at the moment in the U.S. the use of R/C aircraft for commercial photography, is prohibited. You can still fly R/C for hobby photography, though.

I posted this on my own Google+ page last week after looking into this - and have a link to the FAA's temporary restriction document on commercial R/C applications.

According to aerial photographer http://mi6films.com/ the FAA has issued a temporary rule banning all R/C aircraft used for any commercial purposes, nationwide, pending the FAA's development of permit or licensing requirement some time in 2013.

Until then, it remains legal to take aerial photos from an R/C aircraft for free, but is illegal to do so for hire (commercially).

This rulemaking procedure appears to be due to the aggressive use of fairly large low flying "unmanned aircraft" drones, often by police, and the desire to regulate this activity. A copy of the FAA's temporary restrictions is here (this downloads a PDF): http://www2.realtoractioncenter.com/site/R?i=b-cVZxwdB9gk4SC2jK_8HA

It appears the FAA has co-mingled the use of large unmanned aircraft with small R/C's hobby aircraft, until they sort out rules. In the meanwhile, here are the hobby rules www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/105.pdf

There is a potential work around for some applications: if the R/C is tethered in any way, this is said not to be considered an unmanned aerial vehicle. Same for tethered helium balloons.

• @driftwood Too bad they don't sell outside the UK :(

• This is a bit unrelated, but the goes to show the control systems are getting more and more amazing.

http://gizmodo.com/5888117/breakthrough-quadcopter-does-previously-impossible-acrobatics

• I'm building a quad copter with the amazing Open Pilot Copter Control FC. Will start with a gopro first.

• Please show us pictures along the way. I'd like to learn more about this.

• I've ordered this KK copter board and will build one... hope I'll succeed :)