Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • Have just donated
  • Thanks guys.
    Generally, panasonic couldn't select worst timing :-)
    As late of December is too hot and too small time is available.
    I am trying to dedicate as much as I can.
  • @vitaliy Just take your time. Let's celebrate our christmas time in 24p. Your work is awesome!
  • December is quite cold here, lucky Vitaliy :) good luck with the devving! :)
  • Cold and Dark here! Very DARK! Vitaliy thanks for your great effort!
    Mery Christmas to All
  • I am in PAL land, and have been exploring the hack in my own small way here in the UK, We currently all have the option of both using 25p and swapping back to the VK hack already :o) this is because of all of the hard work put in by everybody here especially Vitaliy!

I am in no rush for this, there is an embaressment of goodies already on the table!

Thank you everyone! Happy Winter Solstice for tomorrow!
    Donating again - now there is a good idea!
  • @fatpig

Hot in other meaning :-)
    If from -10 to -25 C is hot, then yes.
  • @alcomposer Don't read too much into a single sentence. I was bored, was on the net, and posted. It was not meant to push anyone to do anything. @Vitaliy_Kiselev please take a break. Our cameras will still be around next year.
  • alcomposer said:

>>> Now that would be good timing for VK!
    >>> I wonder if he could stop himself from releasing the update on Christmas day... ! :D

There is a good hope for that because for many of us Christmas is after New Year Eve, on January 6.
    And Santa is coming December 19 instead of December 5/6. That's the "old" calendar, still used all over pravoslav world in connection with religious holidays. For instance in Macedonia, Serbia, Ukraina, Belarus, Russia, Georgia and AFAIK Armenia there is no Christmas on Dec. 24/25.

So who knows - we may celebrate January 6 this time a very special way.... preparing my GH-2 for something like that but ultimately the microcode engineer (VK) sez the last word.

The hardest thing for people is to put them self in the situation of the driver or microcode guy. I am involved in very different project but the customers and managers always complain: "do it faster, faster". OK, either it's fast or will work. And it will be ready, when it's ready. ;)
  • Hey Grumpy, do maybe I know you from somewhere else? Are you M. ?
  • @Meierhans

Sort of. A more powerful guy than Santa. There are actually two Santas:

#1: the Nikola-Ugodnik, he should come to you on December 5/6 and bring the gifts. That's St. Nicolas; in areas like north Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Hungary he may have a companion called "Krampus" - not in Russia (where he is of course 13 days later). Krampus punishes the bad kids (spanking, at least symbolically). Since every kid was sometimes bad, sometimes good, both St. Nik and Krampus do the work. ;)

This is THE Santa the way Americans know him but they shifted him somehow to Christmas day.

#2: the Slavonic / Germanic "Old Wizard of Forest" (or: "Grandfather Frost"). In Russia since late 19th Century comes together with a sexy Sprite / Pixie / female Elf "snow maiden", so the men also have something to look at. Very popular all over exUSSR and exYU but the pixie comes only in exUSSR, exYU has only the Granpa coming.

#2 and #1 are obviously not the same, whom you posted is also obviously #2 so it is perfect.
  • @Krolik - Krampus appear in Cameron Jamie's "Kranky Klaus" A brilliant piece of documentary film. Worth the watch if you get the chance.
  • @Krolik,

'Are you M'. No I'm not. Sorry
  • nice low light test here:

don't really need to up in iso 3200 to get reasonable look. Not really sure but im sure it is fw 1.1 just need a reply from uploader can someone ask ISO info ?

nice scenes at 0:24, 0:30, (0:40 nice visibility of buildings in the back)
  • What's that annoying jitter in this video? Looks like deinterlace/field order problem. It's hard to tell thus is the softness of the picture a result of wrong encoding or is it immanent.
  • Can't wait for the hack/patch for the new 25p firmware. Wasn't overly happy with the results I got shooting on the new High Bit Rate firmware.
  • it will not be a big miracle to get a hack on it(YES BETTER FOR SURE) but it offset for for wasted time from pana waiting the GH3

but i don't think it will beat the red in video performance and fuji x100 in picture quality... anyways i would be very surprise, so im not exited so much about it...

Uncompressed raw video to SD CARD would be something to start...
  • New firmware test up to 3200 iso:

• @amateur

>Uncompressed raw video to SD CARD would be something to start...

Is this a joke?? You do realize that this would be in the order of 200MB/s. 90MB/s is the fastest now. And there are other standards in the works for faster memory...

Regardless- do you really need "uncompressed raw"...? Seriously? I would say that 4:2:2 is a pipe dream let alone Uncompressed Raw...!
  • That 64GB Sandisk is pretty fast.

4:2:0 23.976 fps 1080p uncompressed would be ~570 megabit, or ~71 mb/s, without any lossless compression, H.264 has a lossless mode, and then there are things like FFV1 that may be ported to FW in the distant future if wanted. Many lossless codecs can achieve over 2:1 compression ratio as a minimum, some averaging 3:1 or just over 3:1 depending on what space is used.

4:4:4 25 fps 1080p (8-bit) uncompressed would be ~1.2 gigabit, or 148 mb/s, min of 2:1 compression would pull that down under 90 mb/s, and an average of ~3:1 would be very nice. Would be a huge amount of work to port over and implement something like FFV1

HDMI is 4:2:2 from the original data isn't with the GH2 as I recall? I don't think 4:2:2 is a pipe dream. I'd like to see 12-bit 4:4:4 H.264, at minimum this would be a profile change of the H.264 encoder, and variable change.

Anyway seems to be alright at the moment, I would call this secondary to a GH3 with no jello-cam, with the same level of hack quality we have now.
  • I would like to see who is going to be able to use uncompressed, not just the bit-rate but the space it is going to use. 600+ gigabyte per second, I don't know if raw is lower buy how much. Some compressed raw like redraw would be much better but even then. It would already be a big big advancement if we get 10 bit and 422. The test from the hdmi output shows just a little improvement from the 66 and in those days highest 132/110 mbit codec. We did not have the 176 driftwood hack in those days.
  • @Athiril

>I'd like to see 12-bit 4:4:4 H.264, at minimum this would be a profile change of the H.264 encoder, and variable change

If you're talking about the GH2 neither 12-bit or 4:4:4 is supported by the sensor. It's 10-bit and 4:2:2 but as it looks that output ain't accessible for us to use.
  • @starstuff

One day starstuff... one day! Remember... @VK is currently enjoying Eggnog... after he puts his glass down, (or whatever container is customary for Eggnog) then the real work will begin!

Oh- I have just noticed that the Christmas snow balls on P-V hit the bottom of the page and then fade... cute!
  • no but seriously in my guess this kind of toy is more going to the ag-af100 successor, for maybe cinematographic , panasonic would kill red...

Remember : Now they say, it is a ‘flagship’ and ‘very important’. source : www.eoshd.com

i would want to see a canon c300 rival