Personal View site logo
Magic Lantern HDR video
  • 47 Replies sorted by
  • @VK
    That is exactly what I was thinking.
  • With a base DR or about 11 stops for the DSLR. Getting 2/3 stop more DR would already be great, not for hdr style but normal look. I don't know if it will make a difference as the exposure are wider or closer to each other.
  • What I hope will happen is that this knowledge will be able to transit to the next generation Canons. That is it won't be a completely new system and that the 3 years they have been designing the Magic Lantern will be able to just transit to the newer DIGIC 5. If the the Canons are good it would in the space of month make them very very good with some super video functionality. It would give the dslr 99% of the function found in the traditional vido camera.
  • >3 years they have been designing the Magic Lantern

It is not three years. Much, much more.
    As most symbols, information, OS knowledge, scripts come from CHDK.
  • Andrew Reid's fixation with Bladerunner continues is all I see. ;-)
  • @bitcrusher
    They said on the Vimeo group that it doesn't work on the 550d...
  • @Vitaliy ahhh ok, I understand now, so the canon camera line has a certain continuity in them, so all the effort of the magic lantern group might also migrate in time to the next Canon line.
  • Was talking to Alex of Magic Lantern and I think at one point he said Vitaliy was involved in CHDK. You have all offered so much to filmmakers for free, it is a wonderful thing and time Panasonic / Canon opened up their firmware to developers like Microsoft and Apple do. I'd happily buy an app for my DSLR, and it'd be far more useful than Angry Birds!!
  • 22:42 or 10:42pm - where is the miracle cure
  • It is out (for 600D, etc.), enjoy!
  • This is awesome. I had discussions with the Phantom techs almost 2 years ago, about doing something similar with their cam, Having High Dynamic range flexibility goes a long way to combating the highlight issue with CMOS cams. The RED guys were way ahead of me, they kinda smiled when I mentioned it, and we found out why when the Epic and Scarlet details were released.

It probably wouldn't fix the color banding issue with the GH2, but it would definitely assist in getting those detailed highlights, and less noisy shadows.

Kudos to ML for bringing it to the DSLR set.
  • I agree with Vitaliy, If in the near future, a single pre compressed "raw" frame can be rendered as a high and a low. into two identical but differently processed. This would not be theSuper high DR HDR they are talking about but most useful. The GH-2 can already do this. As in still mode I always shoot RAW with JPG. I like Smooth B&W mode for JPG, but also get the colored Raw. All in a single exposure. I wonder how much more latitude we'd need in this process to simulate an ALEXA.

This really seems like a killer feature for the future.
  • From a business stand point. Isn't it crazy that canon has these cameras with features that clearly would sell more cameras. And its not competing with any high end Canons? Other than Red< I don't think anyone else has HDR video (YET). How can they not advertise these features in the future?
  • This is cool and all but after seeing @bitcrusher's example of issues in the image I think it's useless unless he could do what @Vitaliy suggested above. Before I seen @Bitcrusher's example I already noticed problems when people were in motion. Looked like ghosting to me.
  • It would be cool if this was available on the NEX series. 1080p 60fps with this would be pretty sick I think.

edit: @Voldemort you talked about companies like Panasonic/Canon opening up their firmware? Does that mean if Sony does not do this, then their cameras can never be hacked?
  • Could this magic lantern HDR solution be possible to a future version of GH2 vk ptools firmware?

• @apefos I was going to ask the same question, only in regards to the gh3 since 1080/60p has now been introduced.

I've messed with it a bit on my 6D, and I must say, cameras of the near future should come equipped with this feature stock.

a very helpful video

• There is a new concept design for a sensor which uses layered pixels to achieve the HDR video. It is similar concept from Foveon sensor, but instead of using the layered pixels for color, the sensor will keep the bayer pattern for color and will use the layered pixels for different exposures and merge them into HDR, WDR or EDR video/photo.

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.com.br/2013/01/sony-applies-for-another-layered-sensor.html

http://www.foveon.com/article.php?a=68