Personal View site logo
Cheapest and most compact rig for the GH2
  • What is the most affordable rig would you guys advise to purchase for tracking shots and stationary shots that will have movement, but steady enough to eliminate jello and jitter.

So with tracking shots and still shots the primary importance - I've researched a few rigs:

The CowboyStudio seems great for still shots, but not very good for tracking shots (too shaky for tracking shots, and the camera angle will be stuck relative to the height of the user).

Edelkrone Pocket Rig is compact and shows promise. Though the price is a bit much, and I haven't seen many videos of it yet.

Express35 seems pretty good, but a little out of budget.

So for tracking and stationary shots, which cheap and compact rig would you guys recommend? Planning to buy one this week.

Cheers.
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • Depends on your work type,

Number 1 , a decent solid tripod and fluid head. The old stand by, must have item!

I have the cowboy studio rig and a flycam nano steady rig both are small and work well, and low buck to boot.

For the money, no one should not have a cowboy studio shoulder mount in their bag. Its well built, folds down small, and works great and dirt cheap!

The flycam nano or other and held steady device is great also.. as long as its balanced and setup correctly and you know how to use it.

I also have a 40" slide rig, great for interior slider shots, can be built or bought cheaply and takes up as less space than the tripod its mounted to.

A small table skater dolly is good to have also, depending on your type of work.

With these you can do a ton of great interesting smooth shots and actually carry it all by your self in one trip!

• Here is a cheap rig you can build yourselves...Ive been pimping out my rig. Wanted share some photos.. This is one i built from tent poles from Academy $7 dlls and plug wire clamps from ebay $15 bucks. .....I now have added neoprene and cant be happier with the way it looks and feels. I went to the local good will and got a neoprene laptop bag for $5.99 and cut it to pieces. I first started to sew it but realized quick it would take forever. I then found out the super glue held it together unlike anything i could imagine. Absolutley inseparable. I realized the with the super glue my option and ideas were endless with the neoprene. So here are some before and after shots... I still have a few things to finish..almost done.

IMG_1399.jpg
    3456 x 5184 - 1M
    IMG_1404.jpg
    5184 x 3456 - 5M
  • I'm also very interested in more people to mention their experience with the Glider rig ^.

I'm immensely impressed with the running shots from above - would like to hear more from people regarding this rig.
  • has anyone else used the gliders rig? there don't seem to be many user reviews of them.
  • We have had good luck with "Gliders" shoulder stabilizer. We hacked it apart and re-configured to hold an AF100. Teh center shock absorber really helps. Search for it in ebay- they are about $130 I think. A review is below:

• Don't forget the cheap Opteka rig. I've attached contra-weight, bought in a diving centre and it works great if you do not attach too many accesoires.
  • I use that rig about 1.5 year with 5DmkII. Impossible to find something more useful at its price.
    And you still able to breath on shot with heavy lenses.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=gliders&_sacat=625
  • I find it hard to criticize the Cowboy Studio considering the impulse buy level price tag. It is made of plastic, but the core piece is pretty rigid so I have no concerns about it breaking anytime soon, even under high load, and it gets the job done.

Aside from what's been mentioned above--such as it's tendency to pick up movement from your breathing--the only major downside for me is that it's a bit uncomfortable because it's really "one size fits all", and clearly not made for talk people like me--I'm 6'5" (about 2 meters).
  • No, as the rabbit said, no tilt adjustement on the cowboy. And my cowboy didn't have any labeling that said Polariod, the polariod is the $59 gini/modular style V linked to, that's what was used for the video I posted above.
  • No, it will not allow you to tilt position of the cowboy/Polaroid on your shoulder. The offset will bring the camera back to the middle so you can possibly eyeball the LCD, look through the EVF, move the camera forward/back from the pivot point the offset is affixed to on the shoulder component of the rig.

You can not adjust the unit, to my knowledge, to allow you to rotate the camera much above horizontal. Squat as low as you can retaining horizontal position of the camera, or take the camera completely off the rig for that. Otherwise, you would probably want to add something like a ball head at the camera mounting position that can take the weight of your camera and attached accessories if you want various different tilt angles, as you suggest. Something like this might work, although I am not sure what weight this could take:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/767365-REG/Cambo_99212396_38mm_Ballhead_for_CS_M8.html

Alternatively, drop your lens down from 50mm (50mm x 1.6x) to, say, a cost effective wider lens, and move closer to the subject you're recording. This may reduce some of the hand held issues, if they concern you. I have my rig setup on a quick release plate, so I can a go to an el cheapo steadicam device, tripod, etc. I find the affixed tripod plate great for hand held, especially low shots, as it widens my hands position from the camera, smoothing things out, it would seem. I do, however, use AE Warp-Stabiliser sometimes in post. Not much more I can add, good luck!
  • @WhiteRabbit - Cheers for the example. Is the use of an Offset the answer to my question above?
  • @brianluce - Also can the CowboyStudio be positioned differently, rather than straight - so for example looking up tilted a bit, which would help if I'm doing a low angle shot.
  • @Donnie88, look at @versubio's setup, no handles, however, he has an offset on the rig, allowing for further positioning in various directions.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musgo2012/6445696059/sizes/l/in/photostream/

@brianluce, the cowboy/Polariod are one in the same? They both come with the strap, Donnie's link to Amazon product includes one. Hey, good idea man, run-n-gun-n-eat, especially hors doeuvres, brilliant, thanks for the tip! hehehe
  • You can't go wrong with the Cowboy. The only reason I went with the Polariod is I have two GH2's and often find myself running two cams hand held. With the shoulder strap you will have both hands free -- I filmed a concert and reception for a pianist friend, having both hands free allowed me to shoot and take advantange of the delicious hors doeuvres!
  • Did this test shoot recently:
    - Seems like the CowboyStudio would have helped a lot with shooting this.
  • Cheers for the feedback. I also intend to use it as my run-n-gun' setup, though I won't have any of the additional equipment you have - mattebox etc.

For purely the GH2 and a 50mm prime lens, the CowboyStudio should be fine straight out of the box though right?

I understand you swapping parts to make it more efficient for your extra equipment, I won't be using anything additional though. What's your thoughts?

I'm close to ordering it right this second.
  • Stabilisation wise, it does the trick, it is my run-n-gun setup. AE Warp-Stabilise after if you want a particularly smoother shot, it is amazing, especially if your shutter is fast enough, there is little to no motion blur in the image from your own unstable handling during acquisition.

The combination of the Cavision handgrips and the follow focus provide combined support. I can make it that some of the support of the front weight is taken in my stomach area, being so front heavy, especially with the Redrock mattebox way out front, while right hand supporting most of the front weight, and left hand on FF or grip. I have the same LCD 2.8x magnifying device as Vesubio, however, the magnetic strip comes off easily. I prefer the EVF, I find it resolves more resolution/detail, better for finding focus for my eyes. My eyes are not what they were a few years ago.

This setup seems to work, not ideal. I basically found a bunch of parts I had collected over the years and made this combo. I can not justify spending any more money at the monent. Stabilisation of on the shoulder shooting is somewhat of a skill, and perhaps anyone is better than me. You're going to need a hand grip or find a comfortable way to have at least one hand supporting the camera out front. I am happy with this, for now.
  • @WhiteRabbit Some good information on your process there. I think using the CowboyStudio straight up should be fine for me, I'll only be using it for small adverts that will be shot for competitions.

How well would you rate it's stabilisation?
  • @Donnie88, I purchased mine a few years ago. Purchased via eBay. At the time, the forum referred to it as 'el cheapo', if memory serves.

I recently swapped out my shoulder support with counter weight for this one. It makes the whole unit lighter and being a front heavy setup, I gain support via my body/stomach, reducing some strain on my arms, and better one hand control while the other hand controls the follow focus. I set mine up as a kind of quick release, two hand screws and el cheapo is off and the rig is ready for the tripod. I used some of the parts to offset the shoulder mount, I can even use the EVF, though a little uncomfortable.

@brianluce, "Welcome to the big time! Merry Christmas!", haha.

Here are a few pics of my 'Homer Mobile'.
    IMG_1473.JPG
    704 x 1000 - 277K
    IMG_1474.JPG
    1000 x 747 - 171K
    IMG_1475.JPG
    1000 x 747 - 295K
    IMG_1476.JPG
    1000 x 1339 - 428K
  • Haha Merry Christmas @brian luce

Going to order it tomorrow, the non stable handheld look is annoying me!
  • That's the right one. Welcome to the big time! Merry Christmas!
  • Okay decided to use an uber cheap rig for the time being - The CowboyStudio - http://www.amazon.co.uk/CowboyStudio-Shoulder-Support-Camcorder-Camera/dp/B005FSS7DE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323806911&sr=8-1

Is that the correct one in the link? It states "CowboyStudio Shoulder Support Pad for Video Camcorder Camera DV / DC" - Sounds like its made for DV cameras, is this what people use for HDSLRs?
  • Can anyone (Vesubio?) tell me what offset and rails are being used with the Cowboy Studio shoulder in the Musgo bts above? The Express35 rig-x used in the video below (Part II) looks good too but I wonder if it is a little bigger than necessary for the Gh2 and it's also not cheap at $279...

Would also appreciate peoples opinion (who have tried both) on the difference in quality between the original LCDVF which uses achromatic doublet lenses and costs £75 compared to the chinese knockoff which uses a condenser lens but only costs £15... obviously the sellers of the original say there is a massive difference...

thanks
  • My favourite light "rig" is using a monopod or a tripod as a shoulder pad.. (just mount the cam the "wrong" way to the base-plate.. tilt down and make the handle of the tripod/monopod work as a the handle of a gun. Quick, simple.. does the job very well. I've found that it works better with tripods that are not too long / heavy, as there is a pretty specific "steady" position - where handling works optimally.

I'm going to get a robust rig sometimes, too - to accomodate for the added weight of mattebox e.t.c..

I've tried out Swedish Chameleon for instance.. But I found it way too expensive for what I get, not really light / quick / easy enough for run and gun, not really sturdy enough to work as a complete rig.
  • In my experience I had to try things that I didn't like to know what I really wanted. That meant I bought some gear that I ended up not being happy with. There's really no way to know if you're going to like something without trying it. Pictures and video reviews may be helpful, but they're not a substitute for using the gear.

For shoulder mounted walking shots, I've found that a heavy rig is better as long as it is properly balanced. And of course a wide lens is more forgiving