Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @DVANZ

You can revert any time as I know, just use bigger increment.
    Otherwise you need just wait for new PTool with v1.11 support.
  • Thanks for the update. I just donated again, to help the cause...
    Is there anyway to get 25P with any existing firmware now for my ntsc model or just 1080i 25 or 50 or 720 50P maybe? What would be the most stable hack be and can i do this via a mac?
    I cant seem to find anyone talking about doing this via a mac as the file is an .exe and everyone talks about final cut etc.

Should I revert to v1.0 firmware and if so is this straight forward, and then which firmware do i go for? Will this then give me 25P?
  • @milada
    thank you to have taked your time to do it RESPECT!
  • @zcream
    If you want it faster, maybe donate a few more times to speed up progress... (and to thank VK)
    (not saying that you haven't already donated... but all the same donate again!)
  • to get 25p u select HBR (1.1) the firmware with pal isn't hacked yet, we are busy with that =)
    so u go 24p hacked or wait with 25 firmware till vitaliy gets his work done =)
  • Ok, I just got my new NTSC GH2 from BH, and im in PAL land. I have just updated it to panasonic v1.1 firmware. I would like to select 25P but obviously I need to do a hack. Can I hack the GH2 with my mac, or does it need to be done on a pc? Keen to try the best avchd options as well as hbr long gop options. Is there a best setup guide?

Thanks in advance.

fyi. I tried to update the v1.1 firmware on the 64gb 95MB card and it would not work. Always wanted to reformat the card. Worked first time on 32BG 30MB card no formatting needed, direct from the box.

GH2 NTSC, TV Logic 5.6", Pix240, FCP7, CS5.5, i7 MBP 17", sandisk 30mb and 95mb sd cards, Rode video mic pro, 14-135mm primes, 14-140 zoom.
  • thx much vitaliy.
    love from belgium!
  • @zcream

Do not worry.
    I am working on it.
  • Still waiting for a new hack so my NTSC GH2s can be flashed to use 25P HBR mode. Waiting, waiting, waiting...
  • Could it be they adjusted gamma curves a bit?

• But this looks almost the same with a little bit more brighter in blacks in 1.1
  • Besides the softness I don't like the 1.1's pinky washed out color shift in Christmas tree scene compared to the original warm yellowish glow. Yes, more tests please!
  • @magnifico

maybe focus was changed a bit
    but it deffo looks less sharp

more tests please
  • Well, I have a Ninja, so I can't tell about Intensity. But if the Ninja records fine, there must be a different problem with his setup.
    One important thing, though: my camera is a PAL model. If flatlinepirat has a NTSC model, he may have all kinds of cadence trouble with 25p.
  • @Nomad
    Thank you for your fast answer. This is the link to the forum post where flatlinepirat writes that:
    "So I recorded with a BlackMagic Design Intensity, and the recorded file really showed
    up as 1080 25p in Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and AE. But the usual problems were visible... dropped or black frames nearly every second, due to the crippled field cadence."

So is flatlinepirat wrong? I can't verify myself, because I don't have a HDMI recording device yet. Thanks.
  • I found that there is now a problem with camera playback on HDMI for HBR recordings, videos plays smoothly, but the audio playback is intermittent, however, if I unplug the HDMI cable, video and audio plays fine on camera.
  • One issue of 1.0 is the 4 first frames of a clip without sound. Has this been fixed in 1.1? I can't see any info about this from Panny neither here...

Thanks
  • @Marco
    I tested 24p before with version 1.0 and it had a massive cadence problem with it's output in 60i.

When I tested 25p under 1.1 (obviously) there is a clean PsF coming out of the HDMI, i.e. 25 progressive frames distributed to 50i frames. There is no cadence at all, every interlaced frame clearly has the content of one single progressive frame. You just tell the NLE to use it as progressive and everything will be fine.

If you see any strangeness on a screen, check if it is really capable of 50 Hz.
  • @Gerald I agree with u...
  • Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that the 25P HDMI out of the GH2 (FW 1.1) is useable. However, in another forum I have read that there are still the same cadence problems and that therefore the 25P HDMI out is not useable. Anybody who has done a reliable test about this?

@Vitaliy: Thanks for all your efforts of hacking the new firmware. It must be a very hard job. Did you find any changes in the new firmware (which Panasonic specifically did for you) so that it will be more difficult for you to hack it?
  • @lucasAdamson +1
    It is less crispy with 1.1 :-(
    See first video with the christmas red tree. You can read letters "2011" on your left : compare. Compare it all.
    I bought gh2 because image is SHARP !

We need a test here only 1080p24 1.0 and 1.1 with no hack (sorry VK your hack is improving too much quality).
    Original MTS with same parameter and exposure, different darkness etc.
    To check if at 24p things were changed...

May be a new thread...

• A couple of shots from a cafe setup & interview, not graded or filtered

GH2 Firmware 1.1 HBR @3200 ISO

Smooth setting, -2,-1,0,-1 • Lumix 14mm, Canon FD 50/1.4, FD 35/2.0

Shot with a Cowboy rig
  • no, i switched iso from 160 to 3200...
  • Guys, maybe start new topic on ISO/NR comparisons? Did you take into account the "ISO-bug" when doing above test @milada?
  • Noise test: Panasonic GH2 new firmware 1.1 HBR.
    boosted mids

the original ungraded:
    http://www.wupload.com/file/2617048392/Sequenza_02.mov