Personal View site logo
Cinema gear reviews and so called film courses suck
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • Well, I'm not too keen on Bloom's moving slideshows either, especially as it seems to have set the norm for the kind of films that people are using their cameras for. 1. Buy DSLR, 2. Buy Slider, 3. Go out on your own, 4. Film countryside, sliding, no people 5. Set to music. It's pretty banal. Where are the stories, the dramas, the people? This type of film is good for one thing - camera demos where you don't want to do a technical comparison test. That's what he does, Bloom, and I think he does it fairly well, if you consider that's what they are - camera tests! It is not art, and I don't want to make these films, and I wish so many others would do something more narrative too.

They are not too enthusiastic at these presentations, Vitaliy, because it's harder to do well, and there is more to be critical of.
  • @LucasAdamson

I completely do not agree with you.

Cameras and camera gear are much older and can be presented even better if presenter will be good.
    Let's face simple facts most of this guys can shoot some movies (good only in very specific niche).
    But they are fuckingly bad presenters.
    They hardly prepare. Like themselfs and not the people.
    From all of them, I like only Jem. He is fun and very interesting sometimes.

>To be fair to him, I think Phillip Bloom's Skywalker Ranch at dawn vid was an amazing camera demo, right?

Nope.
    You could find better players than Bert. But this alone not make them better presenters.
    Plus I really hate most of Phillips moving slideshows.
  • I think the reason he can be so much more enthusiastic about the keyboaards than reviewers are about DSLRs is that these keyboards have been around for 2 decades longer and are now near(er) to perfect for most things. He has so much skill that his creativity is not in any ay bounded by the device.

DSLRs on the other hand almost always lack some small things that say, the Arri Alexa has to offer, and so we hear reviewers gripe about them. Also, it takes a lot more work to demonstrate a camera by filming lots of amazing stuff than to demo a keyboard with your (his) amazing repertoire.

To be fair to him, I think Phillip Bloom's Skywalker Ranch at dawn vid was an amazing camera demo, right? It didn't show how good the camera was exclusively, so much as how skilled at that atmospheric style film he is.
  • After this you could find and look at Laforet and Bloom courses, and ask why they cost so much, as they need to be about $300 (and here I mean the sum given to you just to stay).
  • I used to sell a lot of those keyboards. Rep's from the MI industry are quite good. This guy is top noch.
  • >I think that if any camera reviewer were to do a 'video' related review like Bert they would probably end up destroying their camera.

I don't care if they destroy their camera in a big blast.
    But.. Fucking shit, let me want the thing that you are reviewing.
    Do something like Bart, make me believe that it is keyboard(camera) that makes all this stuff :-)
    At least for short time.
  • Keyboard salesmen come from a different planet. I think that if any camera reviewer were to do a 'video' related review like Bert they would probably end up destroying their camera.

Read below with Berts accent:

"and now we are going to film live tigers with the exteli mode... really fantastic"
    "now we are going to work in low light with only one candle, great stuff"
    "now, moving onto an adult film production- rolling shutter is hardly noticeable even with lots of movement"
    "moving onto filming inside a volcano now- the amazing codec really shines here with high intensity colour"
    "now - strapping the camera onto a home-made rocket, we see that even when completely destroyed the SD card is still readable- truly remarkable..."