Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • @ chef your Samyang-Skater has just what i missed in 24p. Only one picture more and to me it moves far more in a smooth but also clear direction. With 24p the similar motion for me looks allwas hard an jerking. So not only for 50Hz lightning reason 25p is quite usefull. To my eyes in fast "moving" situation its definitely better.
  • i can confirm that with Neo Scene it does change it in to progressive in FCPX
    Screen Shot 2011-12-15 at 5.56.15 AM.png
    401 x 345 - 35K
  • if you look at the light on rail (ground) it' "pulsating" and colors bleeding (v1) ...
    however it would be best to have both footage in mts for download in order to compare ...
  • It doesn't look better to me - just brighter. Some of the GH2's ISO settings were slightly low. Maybe they corrected that.
  • Why the new firmware should be so better at low light?

I did not see any mention of this on release notes...

@amateur both shots at 24p? or the lighter video is shot at 25?
  • @amateur

great, much better quality at 1.1 (v1 stock firmware ?)
  • You shout all two at 24p?
  • V1 vs V1.1 comparaison :
  • @all

WIth rewrapping and other 25p and 30p clips processing, please, use other, appropriate, topics.
  • If you want to save time with workflow, MainConcept plugin for CS5 (works with 5.5) is awesome, you could use the MainConcept rendering engine (both software and CUDA) or you can stick with Mercury, plus what is -really- great, is the CUDA H.264 output encoder. It is fast (on my GTX 260 even,which I had to edit the text file for support for).
  • Would anybody please check-out if remote (wire or wireless) after fw update now wakes up GH2 from econo mode? Maybe Pana has fixed it without a word, just like a mic input...
  • I wasn't aware of that since I've always transcoded to ProRes.

Think it's time for me to dig some more info about that workflow since you state that saves both time and space, and that IS a lot!!!
  • Is anyone trying the photo shooting while recording video? Should half-press release shutter turn on or off?
  • @naavt .... we speak about FCPX - Premiere.
    We dont want to re encode (as FCP does) the footage.
    Its time consuming and takes a lot of space.
    Clipwrap , doesn't re encode the file to prores , just rerwap the file to a new container.
    The file is still h.264 and has the same size.
    FCP cant do this.
  • @naavt I think the problems they are talking about might be with FCP-X. FC Express similarly handles the 25p "interlaced/progressive" footage fine. Have not tried log and transfer in it yet with new HBR footage, but that is because i like to manage and transcode my media manually.
  • Sorry if I don't understand all this NLE hassle talk!

I just Log&Transfer ProRes HQ from FCP, open a new 1080 25p Timeline with field set to NONE, drop my transferred footage (which shows field set to upper), in the TL and have no issue whatsoever with rendering!!!

With so many mates complaining that their footage needs to render on FCP TL I'm assuming that the simple process I've mentioned above is somewhat wrong?
  • @CMcFadden

Thanks, Colin. Appreciate the quick work on this!
  • Hey All - we've gotten a lot of email from folks who heard that we had a beta of ClipWrap with support for the GH2 25p/30p modes. We just released that build to the public, as v2.4.7, so no need to email if you're interested, just head to http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap to grab a copy. Let us know how it goes.

Also, for the next week or so, we've got a discount code for GH2 users. If you want to buy a copy, use coupon code "progressive4life" for 20% off.

-Colin
  • @toxotis70 I used the "rewrap" transcoding on ClipWrap 2.4.6 but it still needs rendering on a progressive timeline FCP. What did you use?
  • For sony vegas users, maybe interesting.
    Yadif Deinterlace.ofx.bundle
    http://www.yohng.com/software/yadifvegas.html
  • Would be quite interesting if the noise on etc mode has been reduced. Cause for me the noise without etc is low enough.
  • did you used any nd filter ?
    What settings (aperture, speed, iso ...)
  • @mrbill Yes ! It was the one I have been waiting for...
  • @rsquires
    Will be hacked soon enough! :-D Can't wait!
  • I got a beta of the new Clipwrap and can confirm it rewraps the .mts file into 25p which can be viewed in the Finder and QuickTime on OSX Lion. Also
    importing the file to FCPX and dropping onto a timeline gives you progressive 25fps 1080p rather than previous upper field favoured 1080 i. I don't think HBR has anything like the detail of some of the recent Driftwood patches but it is very decent for most stuff.