Personal View site logo
DaVinci Resolve 8.1.1 Lite, DNxHD and GH-2 footage
  • 74 Replies sorted by
  • Yeah.. I was thinking about the same thing.. You can do a edit in premiere (multicam nested sequence is not supported at this time!), export XML to resolve, transcode (render) it to DNxHD (that's the step where I failed - can't find the DNxHD codec for Premiere CS5.5 x64), load it into resolve and here ya go.. So after many hours I finally deleted resolve and went back to Colorista II and Looks right inside of Pr or AE ..
  • Download DNxHD codec from Avid's site. Resolve, will not read MTS linked files pointed to in an exported XML. I don't know much about DNxHD. I believe it can be in a .MOV wrapper ot a MXF.??

Resolve is a hard learning curve. I love Looks and Colorista, but they are very far from multi node Resolve. If you are just making a primary grade Magic Bullet will do. But if you need multiple tracked secondary nodes you will not be able to do it easily without a professional Grading program.

I'm looking for a rewraper utility on the PC that puts the AVCHD in the MTS in a MOV wrapper without rerendering the video. Then Resolve will read the files. I hope.
  • right.. for primary grade Looks and Colorista will do a ok job.. I tried resolve with hope of an easy/fast (I mean fast way to work between these programs - not that Resolve will be easy and super-fast way to grade footage!) workflow with Adobe.. but it's not that good at this point.. that rewraper to .MOV would be a cool thing to have in a Premiere - Resolve workflow!

If we can find a good way to work with Resolve and Adobe Creatuve Suite on PC, I would try it again for sure!
  • I wish I had time to make some tutorials on resolve. I am a little behind the curve as I am still on 7 but I will say as soon as you get your head around the workflow its so fast and fun to work in that I really am starting to enjoy it.

Its not that hard, but make sure you have a decent cuda system running on your computer or its going to be SLOW. Here is a test I did a while back with the GH2

• Awesome colours. I managed to install Resolve on my Mac Tower, but couldn't get it to run on my PC.
    I am still on Vista, albeit x64, but Resolve says "configuration is missing", dun really know what that means. Either it's because I am not using Cuda, or something. My Mac uses a Cuda card, so no issues.

Anyone faces similar problems on the PC?
  • For me it says license is missing. Just tried the beta yesterday.
    Do you need to ask for a license maybe?
  • Load it again, there was a erroneous link to the full version, which needs a dongle. It should be fixed by now.

And, yes, no Resolve without a CUDA card – it does all the heavy lifting.

Bob Sliga has a nice intro at classondemand.net (free)

A long, very helpful presentation can be found here:
    http://finalcutmtl.org/2011/10/01/atelier-davinci-resolve-1ere-partie
    (It starts in French, but they switch to English after a while)

Finally, FXPhD has a paid class.
  • @butcrusher
    So you're working with Adobe and Resolve or not? Can you share your workflow with us? :)

Yeah.. I tried the resolve with two GTX580 in SLI and the GPU really does all the work ..!

@kazuo
    No porblem on W7 x64 + You don't need a licence.. it worked ok for me.. but as I said.. Had to uninstall as I couldn't find a good way to work with it in combination with Adobe products.. :/
  • Can't get Resolve to run on your machine? - problem solved

http://colorghear.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/colorghear/
  • That guy at 0:40 looks a bit pale.
  • What could be interesting if anyone know command line scripting. Export XML from Premiere. The footage is MTS. Drop that to be converted. Some script which reads the files in the XML, runs ffmbc FFMedia Broadcast to do the rewraps as .MOV into a new subfolder. Then output an edited XML pointing to the new rewrapped MOVs. That should work in Resolve.
  • Just so I'm not spinning my wheels here. can anyone confirm on the PC what file format Resolve will read?

AVCHD rewrapped in .MOV?

DNxHD in .MOV? (ala 5DtoRGB)

or how do we get

DNxHD in MXF format? (I'm sure Resolve ingests that format)

I dont think 5Dto RGB outputs to MXF?

As I said above. I see no point in transcoding all the raw MTS via 5DtoRGB before at least a rough Premiere Edit. Both for time and space.
  • The only thing I have been able to get to work is h264 with a suffix of .mov, however, I have never seen anything do what resolve does.
  • @shian

Will you release some grading tutorials with your product?
  • There are some great books on grading in general, like "The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction" by Steve Hullfish and "Color Correction handbook" by Alexis van Hurkman.
  • @johnnym Tutorials? naturally, yes. By buying the plug-in you get a free lifetime subscription to the video series (a la Video Co-pilot) Where I'll be showing users new ways to use the system, and introducing new features. And don't worry, it'll be dirt cheap.

And yes Brian looks pale cuz he's an emo vampire. That's from a twilight parody that I shot. The actual color grade for that can be seen in my Strictly GH2 reel on vimeo. Just wanted to show a slightly different look on that shot for the demo.
  • I'm getting a "configuration is missing.." after double clicking the Davinci Resolve Lite install exe file as well. Tried downloading 4 times now and still the same thing. Im on Vista 64bit, anyone else experiencing this?
  • @shian that's superb man. I like the look of your work already, but if you could do some cinematic stuff that isn't too crushed, i personally would like that better. I never understood why that high contrast (not that your footage is high contrast) look the past decade has been so succesful. (edit : ha, you used Cliff Martinez score from Solaris!)
  • @johnnym There will be plenty of options. It will definitely grow over time as users ask for things, and create and share looks of their own. If you want to point me to a sample of what is it you want I can work on creating a Gear for it if I haven't already.
  • @disneytoy the workflow I am using is to encode via Carbon Coder (Now called Promedia Carbon) It's similar to Adobe's media encoder and it allows you to export as DNXHD MXFs which Resolve reads fine. They have a free trial. http://www.rhozet.com/promedia_carbon.html
  • @MarkV

The main problem most people run into when first starting out with DaVinci is the EDL export.

IT WILL NOT WORK! because all of your footage starts with TC 00:00:00:00, you need to manually enter in the time code for each clip to be able to import correctly. ( Having to clips with the same time code is like having two clips with the same file name)

This is a major pain in the ass. I am looking for a program that can automate this for me, if you know of one that works on the mac let me know. I need to ask the clipwrap people if they could implement this feature.

What I do now is export the a .MOV file dump it into DaVinci and use the automatic scene detection mode to create a edl from the single file. It will then split the single mov into scene's and you are ready to go.

• I think users are spoilt with choices for color grading apps and plugins nowadays. Most of the built in color grading effects in FCP - Color and AE-Colorista are already very powerful tools in capable hand. Even better, now we can run the Davinci Lite for free with unlimited nodes in 1920X1080. I think what aspiring color grader need most is knowledge and experience. So I'm all for more good books and tutorial than software and plugins.
  • @Shian

Hey what's this ColorGHear? Tried to look it up but couldn't find anything on it? Are you a tester, or software developer. Awesome stuff - pl keep me posted. Cheers
  • @kazuo Thanks. I'm the creator. Check the grading thread for more info on me and the toolkit.
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1501/gh2-color-grading#Item_60
  • @Shian
    ColorGhear price, please?