Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • dont forget to contact him and tell him what is for.
  • @mpgxsvcd

Here's Colin's email: dmsupport@divergentmedia.com

Thanks!
  • @toxotis

Will do. Almost done uploading. The 1080i and 1080p @ 30 FPS clips are of the exact same thing. What exactly will Colin be looking for? Does he need any other clips or just those two.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Just donated. Thanks for the great job. Filming with @Driftwood later today. Interesting experience I hope. Waiting eagerly for 25p hack and patches to roll now. All the best.
  • @mpgxsvcd ... Colin wants to search for the flags in HBR , thats declare the clips as interlace or progressive.
    Panasonic choose (wrong decision) to declare the clips as interlaced in a way that most software doesn't recognize them as progressive.

This is a big problem in editing, because when you make a progressive timeline (25-30p) and put the footage from GH2 there (even if you declare them as progressive inside the program) , the timeline needs render (with unpredictable results some times and long processing times).

Colin with Clipwrap can correct this flags, and make the footage appears as progressive... with no extra time needed.
  • Plus, the NLE will try to de-interlace the already progressive footage and reduce vertical resolution to half if this is not corrected.
  • @Mark_the_Harp @B3Guy

B3Guy may be right about touching the release button.
    I've seen this issue every now and then, but oddly it seems to happen with the 20mm f1.7 lens.
    I just remount it again and it seems to go away.

Also, i've never seen this issue arise when actually using the camera, so it may "only" be a check at the start of boot for the camera.
  • @cocute
    I thought the same thing when watching that video, but I just looked again.
    True those jpeg shots were not identical conditions, but it does appear Panasonic may have tweaked the NR. it does seem less blotchy and displays more detail than the 1.0 jpeg.

Once 1.1VK is released and we get a chance to try our new high bitrate settings, we'll have to do a noise comparison at NR set to -2.
  • Did anyone truly think that what Panasonic was going to give us would surpass what the team has developed or been working on? Come on, they are the ones that limited the camera in the first place. suggestion, be patient and screw their firmware update.
  • @exilenorth

How about being smarter and softer? :-)
  • They gave (probably hundreds of) thousands of people out there a camera that works with most any SD card you put into it. And they improved it.

They don't try to stop Vitaliy improving it for those who see a need for that (us).

So, what's wrong with them? Come on, this is a camera for less than 700 bucks these days!
  • @exilenorth: Panasonic themselves said that they put in 24p as they didn't believe the demand for 25p or 30p would be that high.

@nomad: Exactly! Panasonic has made a great camera for little money. We have to keep in mind that Sony specified AVCHD that it has to be 24mbit/s anyway, plus it is a very good stock codec. More than adequate for a lot of work really. People are forgetting that this camera isn't a RED-killer, just damn fine hybrid DSLR. Some where hoping we would be getting 4:2:2, something even Panasonic's own pro-cam AF100 is lacking. I still mostly use the 66mbit/s patch, as it is very stable (beyond the occasional error message before playback, solved with restarting the camera) and has a great quality/space ratio. Things like a camera not working properly is NOT okay on a pro set. While not every gear malfunction is blamed as your fault, most of them leaves a bad taste in people (especially clients) mouth. Then reliability becomes more important.
  • Not to mention the new firmware they released will help geniuses like VK hack it even further. I'm thrilled with this camera, and stoked with the new firmware. Though I haven't tried it yet, the larger touch area for focus is awesome, since this was was one of my personal annoyances, as well as the lack of accurateness on the focus, so that has been addressed too. Not to mention the popularity of this camera is taking off, so I suspect more firmware updates will come. I bought this camera less than two months ago, and feel lucky to be right at the cusp of the full potential being unlocked, though I feel I have allot of catching up to do to understand the language used on this forum, I am also extremely grateful for all of those who came before me and hope some of their talent with this camera rubs off on me.

Sorry for veering off topic a bit, but I think we should all feel a bit honored to have this camera, and this forum.
  • @mee: Absolutely! I'm a European doing a lot of professional work... A lot of people here wants you to shoot 25p. While before I didn't have any straight issues, now I can finally do 25p without any major hassle.
  • Just my 2 cents here.. Sony Vegas is doing just fine with the new HBR 25p files. just set Timeline to 25p, deinterlacing to off (if you declare the clip as progressive or don't actually does not make any difference, but i declared it progressive) - no rendering needed, smooth playback, works. This software does have an upside to it. :)
  • Jep sony vegas works fine with them.
    i have downloaded some files to try them.

i did set the template to progressive.
    and after i put the clip on the time line, i set the clip also to progressive.
    and re-sample to off.
    it plays smooth with the preview settings to best.

if someone is interested.
    i have a script so you can set all clips on the time-line with one click to progressive in sony vegas.
  • @mozes, yes, please share your script.
  • here it is.
    unzip, and place in your vegas script folder.

For the Smart re-render Disable, you have to select all clips on the time-line to disable smart render
    Make progressive will all clips set to progressive. (no need to select them all)
    Makeprogresive.zip
    456B
    Smart rerender Disable.zip
    435B
  • There is another script.
    Proxystream 1.5
    With this you can convert in batch your clips to any template you have in sony vegas.
    Proxystream.jpg
    988 x 724 - 184K
  • @mozes - Does Proxystream 1.5 work with Vegas Pro 10?
  • Yes, i use pro 10....
  • Looks like a .dll file. Any install instructions anywhere? I assume I just dump it in a Sony subdirectory.
  • I noticed that if I only change project properties and don't change the media properties I get around 11fps playback on my preview window. But with the right settings like you say (disable resample and select progressive for each clip) I get full 25fps playback on best full settings.
  • @Shield, put the Proxystream 15e DLL file in c:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 10.0\Script Menu. It's super handy for batch conversion of video files. I use it to create low bit rate proxies.

@mozes, thanks for the scripts. There is a way to disable resampling of multiple events in Vegas without a script. Just select all of the video events, right click, Switches, Disable Resample.
  • OMG Proxystream is what I've always wanted with Vegas. Reencoding all of my Beavis and Butthead episodes now. Love this site and everyone here (almost) :)
    Shawn