Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • weird...on my camera off is off and on is on (for shutter release)
  • I've noticed that my GH2 turns on instantly after I installed the 1.1 firmware. I mean instantly. I'm thinking maybe after the firmware install I need to go to one of the menus and turn off some sort of 'instant on' feature? I looked for it but can't find one. Doesn't mean it isn't there. Anyway, with the original firmware it took just a bit before I saw the LCD screen all ready to go. Now when I flip the switch to On...boom, it's on and ready to use. I'm not complaining but is this normal?

Harold House
  • @perder Nope still 40-I'd imagine its a buffer thing...you can get 1-2 more in H though.
  • @ragnar...yeah its really quick now...Mine does that too ...well at least if you see a Ufo or Bigfoot you wont miss it!

• Ok. Thanks for your reply No Surrender. It's a nice feature, just no one mentioned it so I figured...

Harold House
  • Yep, powers up instantly.
  • Can't believe new 25p brought so many comments !
    Progressive modes are often wrapped into interlaced. What matters is what I get in quicktime and it's definitely progressive ! I always use Neoscene Cineform to convert .mts into Apple ProRes HQ.
    I am a happy PAL user with 25p.
    I have noticed that Noise Reduction seems much better in high ISO, I may post some tests on Vimeo soon.
    I still wonder with Panasonic gives so crapy, unclear, unstandard names to its video modes !
    720p50p/1080p25p/1080p24p would be so much better than "HBR" "Cinema" "FHD" "SH" "FSH" and WTF !
    why 25p is name "High Bitrate" as is not any higher than 1080p 24p? (24 Mbs max?)

In the end It is a decent and good update, I hope our FRIEND will bring a great hack with intra codec !

Cheers

ghostlayer
  • @arvidtp

Thanks for answering my question. :)
  • @ragnar +1. instant bootup and shutdown. love it!!!
  • is the new update any better than the hack i.e. aqua2?
  • @ghostlayer
    +1 wtf lol, hbr wraped in i jajaja.
  • amho, the question here is ; did panasonic changed the quality of build-in encoder (nr, etc.) in their new firmware? Or is it still the same?
  • @tox ill upload a video tomorrow afternoon
  • In the new firmware, if you have seen an increasing number of shots in burst mode shot 40 fps tanks?
    Tanks ...
  • it seems you can't go longer than 1/25 shutter speed in video anymore...
  • Cool! Any other good news? Lol
  • @lenuisible You can, nothing changed with the new FW. Just switch to MF, like before.
  • @5min ok cool, thanks. I read that on another forum, and didn't test it as I'm back on hacked fw.
  • @lenuisible
    people (like me too) are mostly interested in news by experience. Please don't spread these kind of rumors if they are not proofed.
  • Hi

I read that you need to have a lens fixed to body when performing the update. Question: must this be a panasonic AF lens, or any MF lens will do?

Pl help. Have never tried hacking my cam till now, and dun want to brick it cos am in the middle of a project.

Cheers
  • I wouldn't update in the middle of a project. You need the lens attached if you're doing a lens firmware upgrade, but otherwise, it's not necessary
  • @kazuo - I did fw update having manual Pentax lens attached via adapter. No problem at all.
  • The new 25p mode is great, and it looks on par with the detail and resolution that 24p offers. Can't wait until Vitaliy hacks it!!

@kazuo

Any lens will do. I just updated mine the past hour with an old FD lens on, and it was fine. You just need to make sure you have 3 bars of battery (ie fully charged) or else it won't let you update.
  • @ghostlayer
    I also belive HBR is missleading. Wy was not 24P and 30P called TV or Broadcast in contrast to Cinema.
  • @Tomaso - treat HBR as HBRoadcast :)