Personal View site logo
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • I think this new "high" bitrate 25p is a real bonus!
    Did some simple low-light tests tonight: noise is much more "restless" than @ 24p and in many case strobing in tungsten was less - 3200 iso looks beautifull and 25p is better for sideway motion, gliders and steadicam!
    I am very pleased with this update. 24p has also different color (greener) in lowlight tungsten but seems sometimes sharper!?
    Settings: 3200 iso - shutter 20 - f=4 - SMOOTH -1-2-1-2
    @ the right is 25p - the 2nd and last scene is also 25p.
  • @Toxotis70
    In premiere 5.5, right clip over m2ts 25 p file: Modify/Interpret Footage: Field Order: Upper field first. If you do the same process over 24p file, you get: No fields (Progressive Scan). Any idea about this?
  • i tried clipwrap... but it doesnt make the footage to appear as progressive (in FCPX and Avid), without re-encode them.
    Only transcode mts to mov (rerwap).
    Premiere reports as interlace too, but it treats it like progressive.
  • 1080p30 is GOP15
  • @driftwood So I assume that the 30p is also just a wrapped gop30 1080i? ---
    @ Dazza I realize 1080p 30 should be GOP 15 BTW....this isnt my first rodeo...please refer to Driftwoods' previous statement...
  • HBR is PsF. Try Clipwrap.
  • @mpgxsvcd

What do you mean for "AF appears to be vastly less sensitive than it was before"

Thanks
  • Can anyone provide instructions on how to apply the firmware to the GH2? Can't wait to start shooting in 25p!
  • @paglez i also have 5.5
    YOu can tell that premiere see the footage as progressive, if you make a new sequense with progressve settings and put the new 25p footage , you dont get a yellow bar (it doesnt need render).
    That tells me that cs5 does see it correctly.
    In FCPX , even i make a new timeline as proggresive and declare the footage as progreesive too, it needs render (there is an orange render bar ).
  • @fatpig

I am already shooting comparison videos for before and after. I should have it done tonight. Can't compare ISO 6400 and above of course since the new firmware won't allow it for 1080p video. Looking at the stills could tell us a lot though.

The AF appears to be vastly less sensitive than it was before. That is exactly what I was hoping for. The noise reduction for jpgs is a lot better. ISO 6400 is now usable for jpg stills.
  • maybe someone will do a pseudo-scientific comparison of the noise reduction capabilities 1.0 vs 1.1 :)
  • It really looks like 1080i50/HBR mode (shifting it away from the shared GOP of 24p setting) has been given its own encoder setting which hopefully, VK, will be able to find and allow us to make use of in the next version of ptools. :-)
    Maybe the GOP is 13 for 25p...Update: nope. Maybe its still sharing some settings with 12 gop (24p30 setting HBR) to make it work under the wrap...
    So we now have a new setting which we need VK to bring to us in the next version of ptools.
  • @Driftwood
    I agree with you. I'm getting the same results with new HBR mode than the 'older' GOP 1 Intra 1080 i.
  • no - just was worded confusingly on press release.
  • @kanintesova, thought it was announced, that with new firmware you can switch to ETC while recording...?
  • We've had the same report for 25p for INTRA (as 25p in 50i for a long time). So it seems this HBR mode is just an extra setting that now when VK hacks this variation of the firmware we will be able to implement - ie an extra setting that now keeps it away from 24p settings (could be very useful). It should appear as a new encoder setting once VK dissembles it.
  • Thanks guys,
    I thought the new firmware wouldnt let me go back,
    or are you saying make the version number of my previously hacked firmware higher?
  • If thats really all it took to get 25p then lets c how it works, it means simply changing VK's hacked version to 25 GOP in FSH mode. Uploading a Quantum PAL variation now just to see. p24 will remain 24p INTRA.
    Update: hmmm change it to 25GOP and the i frames goto 50 (hence why they use 12 gop on default for 24p...)
  • My premiere 5.5 versión reports interlaced stream from 25p mts file. (upper field). Toxotis70, what premiere version are you using?
  • @driftwood: does this mean it will pose problem to GOP 1 25p?
  • @gameb: Do you mean EXTele mode? This never worked. It's just that now it's an option to use it in stills photo mode too. I tried it - does not work with 1.1 either.
  • LOL @ new firmware.
    25p is achieved by GOP25. 1080i
    v1.1 panny firmware 25p HBR colour death chart.png
    1703 x 885 - 147K
    v1.1 panny firmware 24p colour death chart.png
    1712 x 880 - 151K
  • 1.1 firmware, switch to ETC-modus while recording doesn't work, anybody checked that?
  • @s_maurice:

revert back to the hacked firmware? this has been done by some people i have read.
  • @s_maurice ... put the old firmware back (or the hack one).

@Clermond FCPX handles easily every file, i have no problem with 25p files from my sony nex 5n.
    GH2 25p files, are recognised as interlaced (avid composer 6 too).
    Premiere reports progressive.