Personal View site logo
Capitalism: Independent science does not exist
  • Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh and Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine reviewed one hundred and eighteen authors who published thirty-one clinical trials in JAMA and NEJM in 2017 and declared that they were not financially interested.

In fact, it turned out that pharmaceutical companies paid a total of $7.48 million to the participants in these publications. Of the one hundred and six authors who received payments (almost 90% of the total), eighty-six (81%) did not receiving payments from pharmaceutical companies.

Fees ranged from $6.36 million to $1.49 million. Pharmaceutical companies paid for travel, meals, speeches, and consulting services for study authors.

According to the decision of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), researchers must provide information on financial disinterest and payments received in the last three years before the publication of the article. However, most authors do not.

Nice.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Production pays for everything - including drinks for all..

• I thought long ago that science became a religion like any other ...of course here and there the real science still has something to say...but otherwise it's by far the biggest religion ever made.

• I already provided you good quote, religion has nothing to do with it

@garroulus

Everything, not merely the land, but human labour, the human being himself, conscience, love, science - everything must inevitably be for sale as long as the power of capital lasts.

Lenin.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Well the power of capital come and go but even if nuclear war will come and once more a stone age will be there a sneaky one to find something to sale. As for my sentence you just have to look at the nobel prize ceremony and I see nothing but clerks and a big mass of sheep worshiping. We don't even have to talk about last two years.

• @garroulus

As for my sentence you just have to look at the nobel prize ceremony and I see nothing but clerks and a big mass of sheep worshiping.

It is more general thing - big hierarchies. They are like animals :-) Church is also big hierarchy this is why you see similarity.