Personal View site logo
Bad design: Modern laptops with anti-brick designs

Idea to make laptop with thinner front is old and had been implemented by marketing departments due to two reasons.

First, it is cheap way to make laptop look thinner (as buyer look at the row of notebooks at the store).

Second, it is also cheap way to make laptop weaker, slightly lighter and, important also, save on materials, battery and extra ports.

In reality laptop must be simple brick with slightly rounded corners and without any slanted things in design or construction.

Want to make it thin - do it, but for real reason, not for nice looks and more profits.

Modern press, especially youtube "reviewers" (aka promoters of corporate motto) played significant role to make it possible by silencing and blocking real feedback.

Sample of more bricky design (with lot of space unused)

• 3 Replies sorted by

Another abortion of designers mind - newest Dell XPS

sa17486.jpg
    794 x 424 - 38K
  • ThinkPad X1 Extreme 3

This generation they again made horrible trackpoint buttons. I think it is 3rd or 4th attempt, they never learn.

Can also someone explain to me why we always need thin notebooks (question from Carbon and 4x Yoga notebooks owner, so I know that I talk about)?

sa17502.jpg
    741 x 544 - 44K
    sa17503.jpg
    751 x 334 - 20K