Personal View site logo
Good news: Windowx XP sources leaked
  • 19 Replies sorted by
  • Yeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh!!!!!!make it comenback

• I really hope, that ReactOS developers will use this leak to make OS better.

• @storyboardcreativity

ReactOS has very strange team :-) And they are extremely fixed on making code perfectly legally clear, I think it is major error.

They should have used all previously leaked code and have at least two version - main that has tons of stolen code in the dark web that 90% of people use and public one for cover and corporations applications.

• @Vitaliy...please explain benefit of having xp. Most windows programs I use require at least windows 7.

• @kurth

Well, for main office and such programs that require Windows 7 the difference is not too big and they can be made possible to work in 4-6 months time.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I disagree. It's good to make own windows-compatible OS without using leaks - code won't have bugs and vulnerabilities from original Windows. And they can always use reverse-engineering to make own code - it's not so difficult.

Now they have Xp sources - they can read it and write own code based on it.

• @storyboardcreativity

Actually it is difficult, and ReactOS team made everything possible to prevent project to getting any widespread usage and track. As far as I understand this comes from the sources of income of many participants, as companies they work for and big clients can punish them.

Point here is not to obey the laws written by your enemies (that is by itself stupid!), but to gain big traction.

Thing that this guys are afraid of is declaring open war, but it is necessary thing to do. It is necessary to openly declare that you won't support copyright laws. But at the same time you need to keep version that will keep all legal things clear. So illegal version will be like hammer of tanks that break defense and legal one later will fix the hole made.

• well I've got this round thingy....and if I put two together separated on a stick, I can make a cart that carries heavy things. This kinda reminds me of a reinventing the wheel scenario.

• @kurth

That sounds too good to be true!!!

• @endotoxic....just trapped in the mayan loop. I still like windows 7 ... and os 9 classic ! In around 1979 when the whole computer programming dept was one little room under the stairs, the head prof tried to teach me some code. I decided I'd prefer to husk corn.

• @Kurt Lol, Windows Millenium

• well there's dead ends and there's cul de sacs...the difference is ...one you can turn around in.

• @kurth

Important here is that OS made from this sources will be used by lot of companies in their specific embedded devices, as it is simple to develop, cheap and stable.

Stilk it is tens of millions of things that will work on XP for next 20-30 years.

• @Vitaliy ... it's still breaking microsoft's copyright, so why's it better than just going to kat and downloading xp sp3 ? I still don't get it.

• @kurth

Most of this devices will be in embedded things without any visual interface where no one see that OS is used. Most companies are rather small and located not in US :-) Very hard and expensive to go against them in trying to enforce copyright .

Because it is custom things, having source means that you can make things work even in hard cases and in real device it is very small part of OS that is used.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

For embedded much more easy to use Linux kernel. Most embedded devices have ARM on board - NT 5.0 is not compatible with this CPU. Nobody will port Xp to ARM just for getting some embedded devices.

• @storyboardcreativity

Exist various x86 compatible boards for embedded applications, so it is not ARM only. Using Linux is nice where it fits, but for many apps it does not.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

"but for many apps it does not" - what apps? Any examples for embedded devices that need PE-files to run?

• @storyboardcreativity

Cash machines, industrial things with rich GUI and info displays, etc