Personal View site logo
Question: max weight of a lens on a gh2 body
  • does anyones knows how much lens weight the gh2 body can handle without risking damage?
  • 13 Replies sorted by
  • I guess it's around 2 lbs including adapter. It also depends on length of lens.
  • Surely you can use any lens so long as you start attaching the lens to a tripod not the camera?
  • Sure!
    Officially Panasonic is limiting lens weight on the AF100 to 1 kg, so 2 lbs sounds OK if the mount is not weaker.

But the GH2 is so light even when hacked ;-) that I use a lens mount with a tripod thread whenever I attach PL-mount lenses.
  • Some of the vintage teles don't have thread holes. If you have rails you need an lens support. Or you can try your camera store for a collar -- hard to match them on line. Best to buy it in a shop so you can make sure it fits.
  • thank you! 1 kg then :), i was worried about a vintage fd lens that weights 600 gr, so it seems that is fine then,
    thank you all!!
  • anything you wouldnt hold straight out at arms length for 3-5 mins ;)
  • For info, the 14-140 weighs about 540g and obviously that's fine. I'm trying a 580g lens combo on it and it's probably pushing it a bit.
  • The max I`ve used for long periods of time without a tripod colla r is about 3 pounds. I`d probably second the reccomendation for a collar when going over 2 pounds (unless you are shooting handheld and supporting weight with your other hand, or using rails).
  • @alcomposer

How's the play on the adapter?
  • @stonebat

On the Lens side there is none, (don't know if this is constant, or a fluke) on the GH2 side its about .5mm (which is enough to be annoying)

For me- I don't like touching the GH2 when I am filming, (touch the lens only: Focus/FaderND/Aperture) so this is a non-issue. The adaptor is so steady for the lens that it is worth it.

Hopefully I can 'rig' something to make the M43 as ridged as the Nikon mount. Any ideas?
  • The heaviest lens I used with my GH2 was an Olympus 14-35mm f2, which weights 1.98 lb (900 g). I used it on a three day shoot, the camera was fine but I think I was pushing it....
  • Ooh - I was looking at that one yesterday. Is it as good as it looks? Does it work OK on mft?