Personal View site logo
AVCHD 1080p time lapse
  • 67 Replies sorted by
  • @markmark1 in AE set video 'Stretch' to 2-5%. CC Force Motion blur with settings: Motion blur samples:8 (more - better but slower. depend on stretch value) Shutter angle - 180. Thats all
  • @KeithLommel

Manual focus allows for 1/2 second shutter. M mode too, I'm pretty sure.
  • @balazar Sorry if this is a newb question, but how exactly are you able to set a shutter speed of 1/2 second? With my camera, I'm unable to set anything slower than 1/25. Is there a hack option that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!
  • @Max how exactly did you use the filter in AE?
  • AVCHD 1080p is real 1080p. Lowering the shutter speed to 1/2 doesn't change that. Setting the GOP length to 13 yields the same video quality as GOP=1, since you get one I-frame per picture taken. Just make sure you use the I-frames in decoding. (my Avisynth script accomplishes that with the SelectEvery(13) expression)
  • @balazer ....and it's real 1080p as it is assumed that MJPEG will extrapolate from 720p.

Would it be too bad for the image to multiply GOP=13.
  • My GOP=13, S=0.5s 1080p AVCHD recordings were 40-60 minutes per 2 GB. But of course AVCHD doesn't stop recording at 2 GB like MJPEG does.
  • @balazer how long can you record if you would come to 2GB. Compared to the MJPEG (approx. 1 hour at 1080p, 2GB and 2ps) will you save lot more space on your card.
  • On the GH1 you can still shoot 1080p AVCHD with a 1/30 s shutter and just use more frame blending to get whatever speedup you want.

@Max, I really liked these time lapse videos of yours:

• Looks great, shame this only works on the GH2 [on the GH1 1/2 second shutter can only be used in 720p 50/60fps mode]
  • my sample of 1/2 shutter video. Used After Effects and 'CC Force Motion blur' filter for frame blending
  • Either my ability to test is compromised at this hour (which is entirely possible) or you're right (which is even more likely). :)

There's a decent chance I got frame blending and field blending mixed up, in which case I apologize for the confusion. I'll check again when I'm a bit more alert.
  • Simple blending *is* averaging.
  • Maybe I'm misreading your script: it looks like it's using blending, not averaging. I'll try it and then see if I misread it.
  • My approach uses averaging, and it lets you combine as many frames as you want.
  • You can go even further, if you are willing to export to image sequences. :)

One of my favorite approaches is to use averaging instead. There are tons of more complex programs for this purpose, but Photomatix Pro has a batch averaging mode that lets you combine anywhere from 2 to 12 exposures per frame (with the added benefit of noise reduction smoothing).

The math is:
    # of exposures to average X 100% = playback rate as percentage

So you can get 200% to 1200% playback rate easily that way.

In my experience with both, the results are a lot more rewarding with averaging.