Personal View site logo
The reasons I will avoid 4k
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • Apefos don’t be sad, embrace 4K and 5G with spy sensors.. ehemm the the internet of things and COVID-19 and mandatory vaccines and social distancing , and mandatory house confinement and cell phones listening and stupid politicians and the new ai. Come one apefos don’t be sad it’s just one little more tech to live against us, uhumm sorry for us, for us, the people. It better for you, consume apefos consume and don’t listen muahahahhaha

• These reasons seem more personal and budgetary oriented than actual reasons why it should be avoided. You don't want to use it? Great, shoot 1080.

I have found 4K great for both image resolution and for punching in for a second angle in 1080.

You're incorrect about 1080P being enough for Netflix and other streaming platforms. 1080P is fine your home movies, but if you're doing any kind of distribution, 4K is becoming the requirement.

If your computer can't edit in 4K, it might be time to upgrade. Or, keep working in 1080.

• You get more views in 4K and it affects your page ranking.
    Plus, it looks better.
    Also, if you are viewing a video on YouTube, on a 1080p monitor, and you click 1440p it looks way better.
    And so on.

• Shoot in 4K; crop, pan, zoom in post and deliver in HD if you must (more creative options and you avoid noticing "actors makeup and imperfections").

Btw, Netflix requires 4K at a minimum for its own productions.

• I completely agree. I think 4K actively detracts from most narrative based projects. You notice the actors makeup and imperfections. Everything looks sterile and like it's a production.

And now the companies are pushing 6K and 8K it's absurd. It's fine for nature documentaries, but not much else in my opinion.

• 4K is only stupid marketing. The picture quality is not only made by pixels quantity. Full HD is very near at 2K cine. You can make great productions with HD and win an Oscar too.

• And then you read this, and maybe you agree... and maybe you will consider 1080p for some projects and 4k for some other projects... but you will start making this question:

I purssued 4k, and now I realised it is not so much necessary, was it a waste of time and money? The answer is no, because you won lots of other things:

When you upgrade to 4k you also get:

1080p 60p in camera (it was 720p60)

Better audio preamp in camera , less noise

Audio limiter to avoid distortion in camera

Better low light sensor performance

Less aliasing and moire, full sensor readout

Better codec performance in camera

Better dynamic range (110ire, shadow/highlight, idynamic, dr400, log)

Phones output in some cameras

Better resolution in lcd and evf

No more hack

Maybe better buttons/design/handling

Maybe better autofocus

More powerfull computer, more layers and more real time grading/effects in 1080p, faster denoise faster render

Some features like zebras, focus peaking, level, lut preview

Not only avchd, now you have mp4 and mov

More power in battery in some cases

Wheather sealed body in some cases

What else?

• Reminds me of a friend who used to go out on his cast-iron 10-speed CCM wearing jean shorts, flips flops and a loose tshirt with cut off sleeves bombing past these spandex wearing, gloved fruitcakes in their aerodynamic helmets riding thier 300gr italian made bicycles. All hat, no cattle.