Personal View site logo
Inexpensive DSLR/mirrorless cam with live HDMI for streaming
  • I've recently checked the second hand market for webcams to be surprised that used Logitech 920 prices have DOUBLED since this winter with all the COVID nonsense and the online boom accompanying it. So at that price I'm ripe to add a little extra cash for some bokeh.

My main candidate is Sony 5100. But what about prior NEX series, are there any good options? Or maybe some old Canons and Nikons I'm not aware of?

Requirements:

1. Clean live 1080 HDMI, don't need 4K.
    2. Preferably phase autofocus with good face detection. Sorry Panasonic, I've handled too many of your cameras, to know that you're not the best option in this respect.
    3. Can sustain two hours stream without overheating. I've read that Sony overheats quickly when recording on a card, but runs cooler streaming to HDMI. Any 5xxx, 6xxx owners here? Is it true?
    4. Below $400 used.
    5. Flip screen would be a good addition, but is not necessary.
  • 3 Replies sorted by
  • Sorry Panasonic, I've handled too many of your cameras, to know that you're not the best option in this respect.

Panasonic issue is that its AF can hunt back and forth at extremely fast fasion and without any predictability.

• Well, lets give GH5s its due, it's an exception. They've managed to create a non phase-detection system which works comparably good with little to no noticeable hunting. But that camera is clearly beyond the price range I consider.

• I'm using my gh3 for that. With 12mm olympus it's perfect, no hunting (and I move around in my office with lav mike). Any cam 5+ years old with a good fast wide angle that you already own and hdmi out will do the trick. If you need a snappy AF then check the oldest dual pixel AF canon : a used EOS 70D.