Personal View site logo
Superlux S241, budget cardioid for recording dialogue indoors
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • Yes, the S241 is cardioid only.

• Hearing the test I think the Superlux and the Oktava quite close in this situation, but @spacewig, have you found noticeable differences because of the polar pattern? Do you think that the hypercardiod pattern is very advantageous for interior recording or that this doesn't make a big difference compared to cardiod polar pattern?

• @Pedro_ES The polar pattern will make a difference. The advantage of using a cardiod mic in an indoor location where you have complete control is that you get a very high rejection of sound coming from directly behind the mic which will usually result in less of the room reverb being picked up. A shotgun pattern has a high rejection of sounds coming from the side but has a substantial lobe extending 180° from the front of the mic. This make's it trickier to use in smaller spaces (washroom, lobby, home office, garage, etc) as the rear lobe will pick up reflections bouncing off the walls or ceiling directly facing it leading to not only potentially unwanted reverb but phase issues (comb filter effect) that can compromise the integrity of your original sound source. This is very tedious, and often impossible, to correct in post.

For this reason, unless you are working with a highly skilled and experienced sound guy, I think it's safer to use a cardiod pattern mic indoors. But keep in mind that with a cardiod pattern you have a much wider pickup pattern so you have to be able to control unwanted sounds that might creep into the take, i.e. fridge, vent, clock, electric hum, ambient sounds, etc.

• @spacewig Thanks for the information, but I was referring to the differences between the Cardioid and Hypercardioid polar pattern for audio recording in interiors.

As you own the Superlux and the Oktava I wanted to know if you have found any noticeable advantage with the Oktava because of the Hypercardioid pattern. Thanks.

• I was addressing the difference between cardioid and hypercardioid as it pertains to interiors.

You might want to re-read my post or take a look at this chart and see if that helps:

http://howtorecordmusic.com/microphone-polar-directional-response/

• I was confused as you were referring them as shotgun pattern... anyway thanks for the information!

• My apologies, I did say shotgun. The patterns are the same except that with shotguns they are much narrower.

• Shotguns also have small side lobes. In addition the interference tube that is used to give the tighter polar pattern is what causes reverberant coloration in indoor situations (not the pickup pattern).

• Good review on Superlux S241. I also have one on my shelf as all around back-up mic. It comes with good acsessory set; specialy I like the wind shield: it is not just a foam, but sort of foam skin sretced over small plastic frame... say micro blimp. Combination of: this wind shield, low handling noise, built-in low cut filter and sharp S-es, makes it also useful as handheld speak microphone. About the noise floor: In my very case it is NOT lover than noise floor of Oktava´s MK-012. I have three of MK-012 in constant use. (BTW, there is Oktava UP-012,- a preamp with built-in 75 and 100 Hz high-pass filter and -10 -20dB pad.)
    All in all: Superlux S241 sounds OK, it nice looking and cheap mic.

• On the topic of Superlux mics for dialogue, anybody tried out the Superlux CMH8K hypercardioid?