Personal View site logo
Nikon Z6 - Smaller Brother and Sony A7III competitior with exact same sensor
  • 160 Replies sorted by
  • With RAW samples in comments.

• In German unfortunately :) but interesting

• The video above is only Man with Prores raw which knows what to do with camera so far on youtube. He is lucky to lives beside Nikon service in Germany. It will be long time before more pro who use cameras every day will find the way to upgrade. There is now N service where I live... UK service number is answered in call center in Portugal :) I was sent to Nikon web there was no option to choose upgrade for shipping my camera. I want to make sure what should I choose there as a sending broken reason and after next call they find out UK center is moving now to new location! :) (from 3rd Jan) I was a great opportunity to send my camera somawhere, week before Xmas. Nikon France - No answer Nikon Poland - they dont know yet :) So the upgrate has BW issue :) and it has to be paid! and you have to find existing Nikon service!

Last think kills me.. Maybe one day

• The Nikon Z6 is able to output a full frame ProRes RAW 12 Bit feed via HDMI to an Atomos Ninja V recorder. Which the Z7 and most other cameras can't. However and sadly, this feed isn't created from a ~6k internal full sensor readout, like the internal and external NLog feeds are. Rather, it seems to be created from pixel-skipping to 4k when reading out the sensor. Possibly skipping double lines and rows - although that is a speculation.

Therefore, external footage using ProRes RAW should exhibit extra color moiré (skipping artefacts), extra line flickering, a bit less acuity (texture resolution) and a bit more noise (1 stop less light captured). On the other hand, raw footage has more latitude (dynamic range to work with), possibly less compression and a bit wider field of view than NLog.

I haven't yet have the chance to evaluate all this in practice. It may turn out to be totally irrelevant in practice and ProRes RAW is the way to go. Or it may be a show stopper because NLog, all things considered, actually outperforms ProRes RAW. It probably is something in between :) For a practical evaluation, I would look at line/edge/roof-tile flickering in a motion film first.

http://blog.falklumo.com/2020/01/the-conundrum-of-nikon-z6-prores-raw.html

I know Falk and he is very nice, accurate and tech savvy guy.

And this is how completely technically dumb person interpreted this (you all know One who can't be named):

My feedback for the future is very clear – if you are going to do a high bandwidth, high resolution RAW feed don’t do it over HDMI when USB C exists. In fact if you are going to do RAW at all, make internal recording the priority and externally optional – especially if you already have an XQD slot on the camera (albeit only one). Nikon can be really incredibly stupid at times.

Despite original article explaining that HDMI has nothing to do with it. Clearly and in detail.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Any thoughts or better suggestion on this.... Maybe it is easier then we think for someone with the knowledge?

• Nikon has implemented a horrible line skipping output for the external RAW video recording:

It's such a shame!

• "horrible line skipping [sic] output" "It's such a shame."

"... this is how completely technically dumb person interpreted this …"

• Full-Frame 1080 120P Slow Motion

• Nikon is rumored to announce a new firmware update for the Z6 and Z7 mirrorless cameras that will improve the autofocus capabilities of both cameras.

• Z6 Firmware Update v3.0

Animal-detection AF for automatic focusing on the face and/or eyes of dogs and cats

Animal-detection AF adds support for dogs and cats to the face and eye detection feature. When multiple animal faces or eyes are detected, the multi-selector or touch operation can be used to select the face or eye on which the camera will focus. In video recording, the faces of animals can be detected.

Increased usability for Subject-tracking AF

Subject tracking with still-image shooting in AF-C mode has been modified to give an operational feel more like 3D-tracking in Nikon digital SLR cameras. The camera tracks the subject while the shutter-release button is pressed halfway or the AF-ON button is held down. Subject tracking ends when the user takes their finger off the button and the focus point selected before subject tracking began is reactivated, for increased operability. In addition, the transition from Auto-area AF display to Subject selection display can be assigned to a custom control. These changes all improve subject-tracking operation and make it easier to activate and change the target subject while looking through the viewfinder.

Support for CFexpress memory cards

In addition to Sony CFexpress memory cards, Type B CFexpress cards manufactured by ProGrade and Lexar will also be supported with Z7/Z6 firmware Ver. 3.00.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/493/Z_6.html

• 12bit ProRes RAW Video

Shot in DX mode.

HDR version (HDR10):

• So the new better way of tracking in Z6 it seems to be more intuitive to work with- Yeay. However in video mode it works old way with other buttons. I will confuse each time you switch video /photo. I hope Im missing something.

• @markr041 Id like to know why first one is so much better.

• @konjow The first one was produced to look good on REC709 screens (SDR). The second one was produced to be viewed in HDR, on HDR screens. If it is not viewed on an HDR screen, then what is viewed is YouTube's conversion of the HDR video to SDR. Since it was not optimized for SDR, it will look worse, viewed that way, than the first video.

The HDR version viewed in HDR, however, will be significantly better than the (first) SDR version viewed in SDR - then you can see 10bit colors and a dynamic range that is much larger than you can see in SDR. The HDR version then really takes advantage of 12bit RAW video.

• Shot on Nikon Z6 and D850

• 12bit 4K RAW: Skin tones!

• Thinking Nikon would be wise to offer the prores upgrade for free to pull ahead of the pack during the coronavirus outbreak. They have a window of opportunity to put their camera on top while up coming competitors wait for production lines as well as important international meetings to bounce back to normalcy. Reality is few are willing to pay $200 for prores raw they are not sure how to use. Offer it for free, they will fumble through tutorials, and start to share some amazing stuff. Black magic did so well because users started uploading amazing videos which were originally shot in raw. Turned youtube on its head.

• Anyone can post user experience for Nikon Z6/Z7 Pro Res Firmware updating with Atomos ninja ?

It will change the original firmware (3.0) or it is a parallel option like lenses firmware ? How it is happen with the futur camcorder update ? or Raw firmware update ? Need to ship the camera once again ?

In my opinion, it is a very expensive and restrictive system update... Why Nikon doesn't open this update directly on line ? and more than 200 euros...With original prices of the camera and lenses, and Atomos Ninja V.

It is crazy !

• I have no problem with the $200 – pro res raw is easily worth it. The problem is the uncertainty surrounding the results. Of all the videos on youtube about pro res raw, the only ones that have download links to actual footage have no people in the shot. It is clear that both n-log and pro res raw eliminate any banding issues caused by 8-bit color. The real issue is the alleged softness created by Nikon's method of convering 6K to 4K. I would very much like to download some actual footage with skin tones, so that I can judge for myself. Nikon, are you listening?

• sure ! but the new 5.9K ProRes RAW Panasonic S1H firmware is free...