Personal View site logo
deCoda - see all the parts of songs
    • Advanced chord and tempo detection algorithms
    • Flexible looping options
    • Automatic song structure detection – Part A, B C, A2, B2 etc.
    • Instantly transpose to a chosen key
    • Change tempo whilst maintaining the pitch
    • Focus EQ for isolating parts of the track
    • Melody information displayed on a piano roll
    • Exportable MIDI

https://decoda.app

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • more crappy cover bands can perfect their mediocrity

• @kurth

Everyone starts low and music is not magic, it is more of hard work.

• @Vitaliy Actually it is kinda of like magic. And it's not a level playing field. Rare the individual with perfect pitch capability, and if you're not born with it, or if you're not trained as a child from a "master", it likely won't ever be learned. The process of figuring out a song is fundamental to developing whatever talent a person is born with. But for the package loop guys, this might be their ticket, like paint-by-numbers painters, or free chord progressions for garageband....or autogenerating video makers. Sadly the democratization of music has only produced progressively worse music, like all digital revolutions. False prophets. Maybe that's their motive. There's some interesting political theories on the disappearance of melody in contemporary music. Three-note melodies dominate our brains, like subtle voice-of-god weapons.

• @kurth

Rare the individual with perfect pitch capability, and if you're not born with it, or if you're not trained as a child from a "master", it likely won't ever be learned.

Well, no.

The process of figuring out a song is fundamental to developing whatever talent a person is born with.

I disagree. Person is born only with small predispositions and even this also extremely important on early development and things around him.

Sadly the democratization of music has only produced progressively worse music, like all digital revolutions.

Same thing, democratization produced MUCH better music, but you somehow forget that you need to add new filtering system, as previously just life itself and after this lot of special people filtered 99% of content.

There's some interesting political theories on the disappearance of melody in contemporary music. Three-note melodies dominate our brains, like subtle voice-of-god weapons.

Again, it is partially filtering system, previous just can't handle things anymore.

If you want to promote good things, you need to first slowly pull people to this height. Show them good examples.

• Obviously you don't know how rare it is for an adult to learned perfect pitch. Perhaps you're thinking of relative pitch ? And mozart ? Symphonies at 6 ? Great musicians often exhibit their skill predisposition before 2 years old, many times to parents that aren't musically inclined. Let me see....taylor swift ...or annie lennox. That's a tough one ! And I have no idea what's your meaning of "filtering" ? What I know about this program is that musicians that exclusively use it , will never develop necessary skills. Perhaps just to check if they were right , or not ? And what I know about contemporary western music is...it's gone way downhill since I was a kid. And so it goes....with photography and film as well. I do appreciate my polyphonic clip-on tuner however.

• Obviously you don't know how rare it is for an adult to learned perfect pitch.

I don't know why you are fixed on this, as you literally don't need this.

Great musicians often exhibit their skill predisposition before 2 years old, many times to parents that aren't musically inclined.

Any research on this subject?

I personally saw more than 100 of music school children and ones that had better pitch recognition and such natural advantages, even special music lessons before, quickly faded out usually compared to people who worked hard.

Under filtering I mean that now you have huge amount of music, so no one can check even 1% of it. So we have filtering system that recommends you something (advertising, top lists, algorithms and much much more). And it sucks, badly. And note - it is not tech questions only, as it is manly question of social system.

And so it goes....with photography and film as well.

All things are always going downhill al you are getting older. Young people just don't notice.

• Perfect pitch is what this program does. And it probably outperforms most humans. Computers can beat us at chess too. Does that mean we don't learn to play with people ? I agree, the problem is with the system, but that type of filtering always existed. But now the system is being manipulated for other motives rather than profit off talent, imho. The rulers (the system) are dumbing humans down on purpose. In america, white kids from suburbia are speaking like they grew up rapping in east baltimore. How many Avenger movies does a person have to endure ? ps...I shoulda said "child prodigies" show their skills before the age of 2...not "great musicians". Obviously musicmanship can be learned, and can be vastly improved with hard work, at any age. And even prodigies are created by their nourishing environment.

• Any research on this subject?

I personally saw more than 100 of music school children and ones that had better pitch recognition and such natural advantages, even special music lessons before, quickly faded out usually compared to people who worked hard.

Interesting topic. Much of the research I've read suggests the children who work "hard" (more frequently over a sustained period) have a love for the subject (i.e. Music, Sports, Reading). That love often comes from early success/talent that is recognized, encouraged, and supported by adults. In this case, many, not all of children who work hard AND the ones who have talent are often the same.

• Well, actually, perfect pitch and perfect relative pitch, and absolute pitch have some serious professional advantages.
    Just as one example, suppose someone says something to you, and you write it down. Suppose someone says something, and you can't, in fact write it down. That's a type of literacy. But that's also a musical skill. You hear a song, you write it down. At the conservatory, we are required to hear a four part Bach chorale and write it down. At a minimum.
    These abilities affect all aspects of music, including improv--you hear a riff, you know what the notes are, you riff on the riff. If you are exposed to music at an early age, you develop some extra brain layers. If you aren't, you don't. Same thing with languages--if you wait too long, you can learn them but it isn't the same. Lack of exposure to music (which the situation now as programs are simply removed for huge parts of the country) puts you at a huge disadvantage if you choose music as your career, but almost all disadvantages can be overcome by extra hard work and extra training. At the top level, that extra 1 or 2 percent of ability makes the difference in who gets a job, since the competition is so steep.
    Who knows where all this is going? It used to be that pop musicians were in fact very highly trained. That might change for a significant percentage of the industry. As far as Classical, I think it will probably stay conservative for a while....and all the fake stuff will be used in videos as it already is on albums.

• @DrDave....yep , just like language. Perfect analogy. Not only with pitch recognition, but with playing instruments as well. Try to learn violin. Next to impossible if you didn't grow up with a violin as an extra appendage. Maybe fiddlin' ! The only use a real musician would find for Decoda is checking to see how well it's findings agree with their ears, and most, if there's a discrepancy, would probably choose what their ears told them. And of course, there's notation software, which is far more utilitarian. The best thing about it is it's cheap, as a toy should be. And for composition, I don't see any use whatsoever. I would like to see how it dissects Coltrane. All that said, playing music at any age and level is one of the most beautiful things we can do for our souls. And for violins, there's swam. Wish there was more on pv about music production. There are some truly revolutionary things happening.