Personal View site logo
Headphones, best affordable
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • @Flanaaandeeers you don't want flat, you want them to sound a certain way. The drivers are an inch from your ears so there are nearfield effects that have to be ironed out. You have to try them out. One thing I miss about my local hifi shop that went out of business was that they had all the cans with a switchboard. I haven't heard one that I like more than the ATH M50, but other engineers (with money) like Sennheiser and Grado. I don't know anyone who uses Sony, but I see them in the field. Most of the Sonys I have tried have an artificial high end, but once you get used to your headphones, you adjust. The Sony's are revealing of noise in the recording, so if you need to monitor for noise, factor that in.

AT make also the M30, I haven't tried them but they routinely show up on eBay for $25 if you want a cheap pair of cans with relative balanced sound.

• Anybody tried mp4nation's Brainwavz line? The HM5 'studio monitor' pair has great reviews at their site and on amazon.. I've had a pair of cheap labtecs glued to my ears over the years for everyday use and they work great.. It would be nice to have something high end if I ever get the point of doing actual sound mixing though

• I've been a Sennheiser man, but have also had AKG over the years. I had Sony WAAAAY back in the day but like @DrDave said I thought the high end was overhyped and a bit fatiguing.

For really cheap headphones i've been hearing good things about the JVC HARX000 Line. Each model had gotten good reviews. The HARX300 $15 HARX500 $21, HARX700 $37 and HARX900 $60. These aren't the ultimate in audio quality, but from what i've heard they are VERY good and close to the ATH M line. At those low prices it's worth a shot.

• Don't forget that the life of your eardrum is proportional to the distance of the driver from your ear. Choose cans with some space.

• My MDR-7506's still sound good after years of use, but the coating that covers the foam on the earpieces flakes off. Every time I use them, I find pieces of the coating lying around.

• unfortunately the PU or PVC they use on ear pads deteriorates over time, oils on our skin and ozone may contribute to deterioration, but I usually find third party replacements on eBay or Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=MDR-7506+ear+pads&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

• Cool! I'll order a set.

• unfortunately the PU or PVC they use on ear pads deteriorates over time, oils on our skin and ozone may contribute to deterioration, but I usually find third party replacements on eBay or Amazon

I need to do that for my Sennheiser 7506!

Already replaced my gel pads on my Remote Audio 7506 last year.