Personal View site logo
56mm F1.4 Sigma DC DN Contemporary Lens
  • 40 Replies sorted by

sa12382.jpg
    800 x 567 - 59K
  • My very brief Sigma 56mm review.
    It's a good lens. I purchased it based on the myriad of glowing reviews. It isn't for me.
    Fairly sharp wide open gives you great bokeh if the background is far away--it's a great effect. Stopped down to 2.8 and the bokeh is not so great :(
    It's compact and chunky, not lightweight, but not too heavy. But not light like the 45 or 42.5. It's a high end prime, so we expect it to be better than a zoom lens.
    But, in fact, at 4.0 to 5.6. the Panny 35-100/2.8 zoom is sharper and has better microcontrast and edge sharpness. The 56mm is good, just not as good as my zoom.
    OK, that's a good zoom. Still.
    So the 56 is a specialty lens--good for portraits, good for serious wide open.
    Problems: CAF did not always work, focus highlight did not work on my G85. AF sometimes did not work as expected.
    Not sure I really prefer it to my Olly 45 or my Lumix 42.5--maybe it is a tad sharper, and the wide open effect is interesting, but even for a portrait lens looks a bit odd stopped down. You may not mind the chunky bokeh.
    Anyway, the 35-100 is a keeper.

• L mount available now

Sigma have just launched the popular 16mm F1.4 DC DN, 30mm F1.4 DC DN and 56mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary lenses for L-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras.

These three lenses will be available in July 2020 priced at £449.99 / $449 for the 16mm, £329.99 / $339 for the 30mm, and £399.99 / $479 for the 56mm.

SIGMA Corporation is pleased to announce the launch of the 16mm F1.4 DC DN, 30mm F1.4 DC DN and 56mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary lenses for L-Mount. Already available and highly regarded for Sony E-mount, Canon EF-M mount and Micro Four Thirds systems, these L-Mount series primes offer high-speed autofocus and are fully compatible with AF-C mode, in-camera image stabilisation and in-camera aberration correction. Each lens features a compact and lightweight body, outstanding image quality and an ultra-wide F1.4 aperture, bringing three more exceptional optics to SIGMA’s fast-growing L-Mount line-up.

Features

Optimised AF for L-Mount

With the AF drive control program and high-speed communication tuned for each lens, shooting at speed with high-precision AF control has been achieved. These lenses also support AF-C mode.

Compatible with in-camera image stabilisation

Compatible with in-camera image stabilisation, the camera automatically detects the focal length of each lens and optimises image stabilisation performance.

Pre-loaded data is compatible with in-camera aberration correction

Fully compatible with in-camera aberration correction (corrections for peripheral illumination, chromatic aberrations, and distortion). By matching corrections to the optical characteristics of the lens, this function takes image quality to an even higher level.

Mount with dust- and splash-proof structure

The mount features a special weather sealing to make the lenses robust in a wide variety of conditions.

Available SIGMA Mount Conversion Service

This service converts of SIGMA lenses mount specifications to that of a different camera body. This allows users to continue to use their favorite lenses should they decide to change their camera system.

Specs

• Lens construction: 10 elements in 6 groups Angle of view (APS-C): 28.5°
    • Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm) Minimum aperture: F16
    • Minimum focusing distance: 50cm / 19.7 in. 
    • Maximum magnification ratio: 1:7.4 Filter size: φ55mm
    • Maximum dimensions x length: φ66.5mm × 57.5mm /φ2.6× 2.3 in.
    • Release date: July 2020
    • Hood (LH582-01) included
    • Weight: 285g / 10.1 oz.
    sa13464.jpg
    690 x 532 - 34K
  • Sigma 56mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens, $249

https://www.adorama.com/sg5014lm.html