Personal View site logo
Z-CAM E2 camera is coming with 4K at 120fps
  • 336 Replies sorted by
  • A lot better than GH5S (which is a VERY nice camera) in Daylight and in Slow motion (GH5S's slowmo are ugly). Now, I would like to found a true low light shot...

If E2 can do it as well GH5S, I dive !

• @eatstoomuchjam....they're not the same camera. They might have a similar form. Their design might even entail some scaling...but a different sensor and different physical size means that they are different beast. I'm not a software guy, but I'd imagine a different sensor would entail different fw. And if they are designing the cameras with just one team, then they'd be stretched to work on 3 parallel projects simultaneously. Anybody would be stretched. Cameras aren't plug-n-play, imho.

• I understand what I'm talking about just fine, thanks.

I never said we need to support anybody. If the product is good, we should get it. If the product is crap, we should not. I hated the E1. I like the E2 a lot. If they come out with a 6Kp60 follow-up which is of equal quality and at a decent price, I will like it a lot too and probably buy it - and others are likely to do so as well.

• @eatstoomuchjam

I like your sarcasm, especially as you do not understand that you talk about. But at least you have your head up and go through wall.

It had been some guys like you who told how wrong I am and how fine are this X guys doing Y camera and how we need to just support them and they do all right. Strangely all of the times where I told about issues I had been right at the end.

Z-CAM had good potential, but they have very little time left, another few errors and it'll be all done.

• @kurth Why would they need a completely different software (or hardware) team if the main difference between the cameras is the sensor?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes, I'm clearly the one of the two of us who doesn't ever actually seem to shoot anything so obviously that is what I meant.

But otherwise, you're right. Using one of the most high-traffic sites on the internet to host their user group (currently about 2500 members with way more daily active users than this one) is crazy vs hosting some shitty forum themselves - which is what they were doing when the E1 shipped (and the forum barely ever had any users at all).

And of course, you're also right that instead of asking their users what features they would like to see in a new camera and then building that camera, they should take your advice and just make a really cheap camera with a super low-bitrate codec (which they will apparently do by removing a $10 ethernet port from their $699 camera to make it a $499 camera) so that you can give them to the teams that you send to various camera shows. If they don't make exactly the camera that you (and pretty much only you) need/want, their company will go out of business within a year.

• The facebook group is a joke. I immediately unfriended myself. It seems to be about 99% fanboys. An open forum would be far more user friendly...and knowledgeable....but I'd bet 10bucks they chose fb cause it was free.

Facebook group bad reach. Until you pay big buck.

It's all a bit surreal...but if you've paid 2 grand of your hard earned cash, you might be persuaded to see some reality tv. I'd pay a buck to see their facilities.

They want to see that will sell. This is my impression, may be wrong, but it is such.

E2 had been attempt of engineers to make good camera and throw it on the market that can't consume big volume of such cameras.

For example, same features camera, without fancy stuff like Ethernet and such, for 2-3 times less can sell like hot cakes. IF added some proper firmware and software.

• The facebook group is a joke. I immediately unfriended myself. It seems to be about 99% fanboys. An open forum would be far more user friendly...and knowledgeable....but I'd bet 10bucks they chose fb cause it was free. Of course, it is far from free. I still think it's a mistake to try to release 3 cameras at once, or even 2. Sony doesn't even do it. Of course, what do I know....actually alot about engineering. Just cause these cameras have the same form factor, although, and more importantly not the same physical nor same sensor size, doesn't mean that they don't need separate design and software teams. And I doubt they have that going for them. It's all a bit surreal...but if you've paid 2 grand of your hard earned cash, you might be persuaded to see some reality tv. I'd pay a buck to see their facilities.

• I downloaded some shots here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1496T8E0nWAIdx621XVsVJSYrzwEcFOpQ?fbclid=IwAR1KV-YRUWryqK6_G0MPpe17v4vnIV2cEGRIgvT9F_jKbSnR1Zb-yD5QXxU

I am very surprised by the quality pictures, it's very impressive when you grade it in Davinci !

• And the incorrect declaration on cameras was nothing more than choosing the wrong import code - and it was completely appropriate for them to correct the error vs forcing users to do it.

Did not get meaning of this set of words.

I repeat again - unqualified personnel imposed fees due to wrong declaration and CEO covered this, even after being told directly. It is long story as I had personal "pleasure" to see work of this same person.

Instead of relying on a bunch of professional users and amateur enthusiasts in the facebook group to give them feedback on what they want in a camera, they should blindly follow the suggestions of a person who doesn't even seem to shoot anything ever. :)

I hope you mean yourself here? :-)

I told that making warm closed group at Facebook is one of the worst ever decision such company can do. As not only it greatly restrict input, but it also distort reality as you can't get proper honest feedback.

BM forum can be not best place, but at least they made one after I repeatedly told them that it is stupid to have your forum to be owned by your direct competitor (again, people who responded for this had no idea about it).

• The latest word is that they are likely to ship multiple versions of the camera with different mounts. Makes sense since there's relatively minimal effort to do so.

And the incorrect declaration on cameras was nothing more than choosing the wrong import code - and it was completely appropriate for them to correct the error vs forcing users to do it.

They're a small company, obviously, and are going to make some mistakes like the above as they grow.

And you're right. Instead of relying on a bunch of professional users and amateur enthusiasts in the facebook group to give them feedback on what they want in a camera, they should blindly follow the suggestions of a person who doesn't even seem to shoot anything ever. :)

• @eatstoomuchjam

They are exploring S35 with M43 mount because a lot of people in the fb group preferred it to EF mount

They need to stop to rely on small closed FB group, especially considering current FB situation.

They found small warm place where they can have people who will tell mostly prizes.

And the E2 seems to be selling OK - Adorama and B&H keep running out of stock.

Knowing Z-CAM sales personnel qualification I am sure it is not due to high sales. Their sales can't ship even basic things and do not know rules or laws.

For example, this guys wrongly declared all cameras for months that resulted in big company losses in US.

And as I pointed this they call me by bad words. Talk about management qualification (as CEO covered this error).

• They are exploring S35 with M43 mount because a lot of people in the fb group preferred it to EF mount. It's been done before by JVC with a camcorder. I was on the side of EF mount thinking it might be FF, but that's less exciting with S35 since one can't make a speed booster for it.

And the E2 seems to be selling OK - Adorama and B&H keep running out of stock. Though that doesn't say how many units they are actually receiving, I suppose.

@flash There is more jello in the "low noise" mode - and highlight artifacts in WDR mode. Otherwise, jello is the same as the GH5s or BMPCC 4K. 120 fps mode looks just fine to me on mine.

• E2 picture quality is interesting but it seem that there is a lot of jello and 120FPS is suspicious.

• @jleo

Usually everything falls apart when it comes to not hiring English writers and spokesmen to do the promo materials, user guides etc :)

You also need to mention how stingy average Chinese company is.

This guys can fight for $5 for days sometimes and ruin whole company trying to save $500.

• ( not necessarily about this particular company or product)

In China, manufacturing is not always about selling the products. If you have engineers and factory assembly lines sitting around, and being paid, might as well have them cranking out new stuff. It increases skills and improves manufacturing methods. If the manufacturing ecosystem, is so efficient, it doesn't take much to do something new. Keeps the economy humming too. Usually everything falls apart when it comes to not hiring English writers and spokesmen to do the promo materials, user guides etc :)

• @chopnshoot

May be their are throwing stuff at public and want to see that will stick? :-)

As for me it seems like they want to find something that will actually sell contrary to E2.

• S35 with ef mount

• They’re now experimenting with Siper35 sensor and m43 Mount Camera

• @flash The ISO settings on the ZCam are even more off than a lot of other digital cameras - by at least a stop or two. Anything at ISO 800 is pretty much going to be like ISO 2000 on other cameras. Otherwise, since it uses the same sensor as the GH5s and the BMPCC 4K, assume that performance in low light will be similar.

• look at this video I see a lot of aliasing/artefacts/moire

I feel it's not a true Progressive 120FPS (I don't know what it is, maybe it's PsF )

• @eatstoomuchjam I can't found 3200 iso or 6400 iso low light videos.

• Where are you getting the idea that they don't have any software people? The changes in the last few versions of their firmware have been pretty huge and there are other big changes to come in the very near future, hopefully including fixing the annoying audio levels bug which has been my nemesis for a while now. I also find the interface pretty darned usable. It could be better, sure, but it's also easier to find/change things on it than it is on my Sonys...

Read carefully - I said "lack of any software guys who have any big influence". I do not mean that they lack software developers, I mean that they lack anyone who have big influence on product design or features, they are all just doing that is being told to them.

• @flash Are you joking? You must be joking. People keep saying there's nothing up with the E2, but if I search "Z-Cam E2" on youtube, there are a bunch of videos. That or search the fb group where there links to the yt videos and a bunch more. Otherwise, though, instead of trusting internet videos, you should probably rent the camera and try it for yourself.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev Where are you getting the idea that they don't have any software people? The changes in the last few versions of their firmware have been pretty huge and there are other big changes to come in the very near future, hopefully including fixing the annoying audio levels bug which has been my nemesis for a while now. I also find the interface pretty darned usable. It could be better, sure, but it's also easier to find/change things on it than it is on my Sonys...

Besides that, whoever was talking about the difficulty of multiple cameras - they are releasing multiple iterations of basically the same camera, but with different off-the-shelf sensors. Jason has said the firmware is about 95% the same between the cameras.

• @flash

Because it is very hard to find Z-CAM E2 itself, one year after introduction.

Very few of them had been bought and used.