Personal View site logo
Nikon Z6 - Smaller Brother and Sony A7III competitior with exact same sensor
  • 160 Replies sorted by
  • Man, I hate that "ProRes RAW" actually capitalizes the "RAW" part. :-/

Also, I can't see any way that Nikon will actually "output video in raw format." I guess what they mean is some sort of less-processed HDMI... or they are just talking about a feature they already have (clean HDMI 4k at 4:2:2) and a feature that Atomos is adding soon... or am I just unaware of some sort of magically piping some sort of raw sensor output over HDMI?

• @eatstoomuchjam

Raw output exist for long time, as HDMI is just digital interface.

• I'm looking to acquire smaller rig system with either the GH5, GH5s or Z6 as I have both a lot of Nikon and m43 glass. It's a very difficult decision, but I'm leaning toward the Z6 as I have a Pix-E5 I could use with it. My assumption is that the Nikon will produce better looking images out of camera and in lower-light situations, but the robust internal codecs of the GH line have me scratching my head. Anyone care to add their two cents?

• ... count to 10... It all sounds great. I really hope it all comes true. However, for the uninitiated: releases such as this about promised future updates are a method, we have have all seen many times, and 'can' used to get people to buy now and wait... and sometimes those lenses, features, updates, never arrive, but, they got your money now, gained market share (or whatever), so mission (for now) accomplished. They'll deal with any fallout ...later.

• Is this true that all new Z lenses has wired focus?? Wow How disappointed Im. Hope Im wrong

• Tony Northrup hit job.

• This is my choice camera atm after long waiting. As soon as Eye Af and Raw Prores will came

However If this will be true then Atamos will have no use to keep things in focus. Hope that will be fixed by better profile with AF or I will have to wait again.

• @konjow I have a Z6 and I love it and yes this is true. But it’s only true when using Nlog and 10bit in poor lighting conditions. When I first heard about it, I was worried too and after I did my testing, I was more worried.

But if you think about it when using log on any camera, to get the most out of it, you need to light your subject well. So as long as you’re lighting your subject well, the AF with Nlog and 10bit works fine. Yes you can make an argument that it doesn’t happen in Canon and Sony but it comes back to getting the most of or log with good lighting.

• @hilltop1 Thanks for confirmation. I hope it will work well with Ninja update/upgrade. Please update here when that happens.

• Nikon Z6 Firmware Version 1.01

• When On is selected for HDMI > Advanced > N-Log setting in the SETUP MENU, Maximum sensitivity now takes effect during movie recording if:
      • the camera is in mode P (programmed auto), S (shutter-priority auto), or A (aperture-priority auto), or
      • the camera is in mode M (manual) and On is selected for ISO sensitivity settings > Auto ISO control (mode M) in the MOVIE SHOOTING MENU.
    • Fixed an issue that resulted in third-party software showing an incorrect value for the Exif 35 mm format equivalent focal length field for photographs taken with a non-CPU lens connected via an FTZ mount adapter with the focal length specified using the Non-CPU lens data item in the SETUP MENU.
    • Fixed an issue that resulted in photographs taken using radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting being overexposed if a face was detected with Auto-area AF selected for AF-area mode.
    • Fixed an issue that resulted in an incorrect aperture being selected in mode P (programmed auto) with a flash mounted on the camera under conditions in which f/32 would normally be selected.
    • Fixed an issue which prevented flash units controlled via radio Advanced Wireless Lighting syncing with shutter speeds of 1/100 s or faster with:
      • On selected for Flicker reduction shooting in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU and
      • Enable selected for Custom Setting d5 (Electronic front-curtain shutter) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/315.html

• Nikon Inc. is pleased to announce additional details regarding the development of new firmware for its full-frame mirrorless cameras, the Nikon Z 7 and Nikon Z 6. The firmware in development includes new functions for the Z 7 and Z 6, such as Eye-Detection AF, RAW video output, and support for CFexpress memory cards. In addition, the cameras' AF/AE functions will be further improved.

The Z series will continue to flexibly respond to changing user needs and offer next-generation features that give users new creative opportunities.

Functions and capabilities to be added and improved with new firmware:

1. Support for Eye-Detection AF for still image shooting (scheduled for release in May 2019).
      Eye-Detection AF is convenient for portrait photography. The Eye-Detection AF in development will work not only with the AF-S (Single AF) focus mode that is convenient when photographing still human subjects, but also with the AF-C (Continuous AF) focus mode, which is effective when photographing human subjects that frequently adjust or change their pose. What's more, the function is capable of detecting multiple eyes, from which the user can select the eye upon which the camera should focus, allowing the photographer greater flexibility when photographing multiple people to suit their intent.
    2. Increased AF/AE performance (scheduled for release in May 2019)
      AE (auto exposure) tracking will be newly possible in continuous high-speed (extended) mode, in addition to the AF tracking that existed previously. In addition, low-light AF performance will be improved, enabling faster autofocusing in dark or dimly lit surroundings with both still-image shooting and movie recording.
    3. Support for RAW video output
      Output of 4K UHD and Full HD RAW data stream from the camera will be supported. The output RAW data stream can then be recorded in the compatible RAW format using an external recorder. This will allow users to utilize rich 12-bit colors to achieve flexible color grading.
      Release timing for this feature will be announced at a later date.
    4. Support for CFexpress memory cards
      The new firmware will provide support for CFexpress, a new standard for memory cards. Having passed durability tests in which they were inserted and removed from a camera 12,000 times, these memory cards offer users a greater sense of security. They also offer high-speed performance that will provide users with a more efficient workflow. After upgrading, users will be able to use both CFexpress as well as XQD cards in their camera interchangeably. In addition to the Z 7 and Z 6, in the future, CFexpress memory card support will be added to the Nikon D5 (XQD-Type), Nikon D850, and Nikon D500 digital SLR cameras as well. Release timing for this feature will be announced at a later date.
  • This weekend the Nikon FTZ mount adapter will be included for free with every Z6 and Z7 camera purchase in the US.

• Is there a way around to work instal Adobe raw 11 on Photoshop CS6 to be able to work with new Raws like once from Z6?

• Thanks Omega. I dont know why I never care about dmg's. Ive tested this way yesterday. Im considering go back to CS6 soon and Im wander If after so many years of updates I will manage do downgrade in the name of Subscription Off :)