Personal View site logo
Why Black Magic will die. Part 1 out of 10.
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • It is possible that technology will allow for inexpensive chip fabs, like from a 3D printer. The development is certainly a hurdle.

• It is possible that technology will allow for inexpensive chip fabs, like from a 3D printer.

Problem is even for simple production 3D printers are mostly unusable. I am not even talking about "making chips". Right now each new step is significantly more expensive. Most companies are going fabless now with production concentrated in few hands only.

• @endotoxic They also have a lot of experience in the acquisition side of things; the Hyperdeck line seems to have been a significant source of investment for BM over time. We'll have to agree to disagree on the evolution of the lower-power general purpose CPU and its viability for image processing in the next few years.

@tomson8877 I don't think I've talked ill of any brand?

@DrDave To elaborate on what VK said, 3D printers tend to be pretty slow still. Also, if consumer printers are any indication, they require frequent maintenance and troubleshooting. For at least the next few years, they'll continue to be relegated to R&D divisions. I've heard some companies are working on 3D printers capable of creating semiconductors (which is pretty neat!), but I can't imagine using it at scale.

• How modern LSI looks from logical POV :

Check PDF in attachment also.

olym5.jpg
    800 x 494 - 53K
    paper02.pdf
    1M
  • How many transistors you can buy for dollar:

Good illustration of the things described here.

Thanks @agoltz for the link.

Via:http://www.economist.com/news/21589080-golden-rule-microchips-appears-be-coming-end-no-moore

xa13.jpg
    596 x 457 - 52K
  • moors law is bullshit

• Moore's Law is really more of an economic imperative.

• I'm curious. Since Nikon is using the Fujitsu Milbeaut line as basis for their processors, and so does Pentax (not sure if they even modify the chips...), and soon it seems Panasonic (why...? Doesn't Panasonic have wonderful processors? The Milbeaut seems to be a bit lacking, at least in terms of video functionality)... couldn't BMD do the same? Perhaps with additional chips for any encoding duties, if necessary. Or is that not possible with the Milbeaut? Same goes to other brands, could, say Pentax or Nikon use an LSI for image acquisition and debayering, and a run off the mill ARM CPU for the interface and encoding duties? Something from say MediaTek or Realtek. They have got a ton of horse power. Heat could be an issue, but if the CPUs aren't stressed to much...

Also, what about competitors? Ambarella seems to have nice specs, though they are mostly used in smaller, cheaper cameras, and the GoPros.

Finally I wonder if the latest Milbeaut as used by Nikon and Pentax could do Cinema DNG, at least for 1080p? Where are the limitations? Is it just a matter of software + being able to write to the memory card fast enough? Or are the chips themselves limited... The Sony Bionz X seems to be very impressive. I wonder if Sony is working with another company, or if it is their own development.

• couldn't BMD do the same? Perhaps with additional chips for any encoding duties, if necessary. Or is that not possible with the Milbeaut? Same goes to other brands, could, say Pentax or Nikon use an LSI for image acquisition and debayering, and a run off the mill ARM CPU for the interface and encoding duties? Something from say MediaTek or Realtek. They have got a ton of horse power. Heat could be an issue, but if the CPUs aren't stressed to much...

I hope you are not serious. Using of modern image LSI is possible mostly only via special agreement. Their usage also require vast knowledge and huge investments. In fact, it is why firms so hold to the same image LSI range.

Btw, no one told that Panasonic will use Fujitsu chips, they just made some join effort, we do not know that kind of stuff they are doing exactly.

• So basically once you've gone with one image LSI brand you'll stick to it? And BMD is too small to enter such an agreement?

If I read their announcement correctly they are merging their LSI business (including image LSI?) into one new company... but if they will merge their product lines they didn't mention. And it may be too hard/give Panasonics competitors an advantage they may not want...?

• Intel's SoFIA SoCs designed for entry-level smartphones and tablets will be built using TSMC's 28nm HKMG process technology, said the sources. As for the other series of Atom SoCs codenamed Broxton, Intel will use its 14nm FinFET process to make the chips targeting high-end mobile devices.

Surprise, surprise. 14nm is first process were price is significantly higher and performance increase is very small.

• Don't see a problem for BMD for quite some time. They already have well working cameras from image quality standpoint. In future versions they can focus on ergonomics, software enhancements, build quality etc. On processing side they can likely also partner with pana/oly or others if need be. I'm not sure what is up with the doom and gloom in this thread.

• I'm not sure what is up with the doom and gloom in this thread.

This topic is not about doom and gloom as you like to say. It is topic about facts.

I'll be posting much more reasons soon as I'll have slightly more time, stay tuned :-)

• New 14mm fab delay

Intel Corp., the world’s largest chipmaker, said it will delay opening a new factory in Arizona.

“The completed Chandler plant, called Fab 42, hasn’t been filled with chipmaking gear,” Chuck Mulloy, a spokesman for Intel, said on Tuesday in a telephone interview. “The Santa Clara, California-based company decided to first upgrade the three other factories on the site because they can use existing equipment,” he said.

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/Fjr9L3aHiwajQBOdgbidcK/Intel-puts-new-Arizona-processor-plant-on-hold-amid-PC-slump.html

• “FPGA is what you use when the volume is not large, FPGA is what you use when you’re not certain about the functionality you want to put into something,” he said on the call with analysts. “You can build an ASIC, a custom chip, that obviously can deliver more performance–not 20% more performance, but 10 times better performance and better energy efficiency.”

Head of NVidia.

P.S. FPGA are the core of both BM and Red cameras.

• Fpga will never die. But its not energy efficient

• Fpga will never die. But its not energy efficient

You replied to your own though :-) As no one here said this.

• Doesnt matter

Cost of advanced mobile LSI with multiple CPU cores, quite similar to camera chips.

Note that all this years BM failed to move from FPGAs.

• Five years of this topic and we are still on part one? When, exactly will BMD die?

• @caveport

It'll die slowly and painfully, so I reserved numbers :-)

• this thread still going strong. And BM still using FPGA