Personal View site logo
Mac Mini - meet the bad cooling with premium pricing
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • Video shows i5 Intel NUC see Youtube page for Intel NUC i7 link

• PC options may be superior, I bought an equivalent mini PC instead of a Mac Mini to use as a media centre in 2016. It was cheaper and more powerful but I hated the interface and the constant pop ups about updating various things, just seemed to require so much more f**king about than a Mac. I sold it after a few months and bought the Mac Mini, ....now i'm happy. Not beating on PC's but I've only ever used Mac's and i really disliked the way of doing things on a PC, Mac seems so much simpler in terms of day to day running (to me, i'm sure if you were brought up on PC's the same thing would apply)

• @tubefingers

PC just requires proper setup. Disable all updates, set proper media software and live happily.

• I won't get too deeply into this, but "PC just requires proper setup" is just plain wrong. It requires constant vigilance to keep control of your own computer. Microsoft continuously innovates in the area of taking away user control. And if you disable all updates, you leave yourself wide open to marauders. This kind of anti-Apple screed does nothing useful. There are a lot of former PC users who are willing to pay the Apple premium, and very few former Apple users who switch to a PC.

• For a "media center?"

Just set up the PC in the back room with Linux and Plex Media Server and buy a Shield TV (or any of a dozen cheaper streaming boxes) to connect to your TV. Last I checked a lifetime PlexPass still cost less than a copy of Windows (unless you go the ebay/kinguin route).

Bonus: The "media center" now easily scales to every TV in the house.

• Microsoft continuously innovates in the area of taking away user control. And if you disable all updates, you leave yourself wide open to marauders.

Marauders... Mine god. Around 98% of all closed holes are in exotic protocols and services or can't be used in practice (during browser usage). And if you will run local proper virus infected software usually no patch can help.

It is like all this mad story with Intel/AMD CPUs holes, none, 0% of "marauders" can use them if you do not have any of this patches installed.

This kind of anti-Apple screed does nothing useful.

This is topic about bad product, bad from engineering POV. Nothing about anti Apple here.
    Can go and open topics I made about motherboards, or may be I am also guilty of not liking bad engineers making motherboards?

There are a lot of former PC users who are willing to pay the Apple premium, and very few former Apple users who switch to a PC.

It is not topic for Apple fans or Apple haters, it is just about looking for product from engineering point of view.
    And Apple quickly degrade at this, with each new product it becomes worse and worse.

• PC alternetive where you can install Hackintosh

• i7-8565U
    • 2x DDR4 slots (32GB max)
    • place for both M.2 SSD and 2.5" SSD
    • Deal now for $295

Use code BGNVS85

https://www.banggood.com/NVISEN-Y-MU01-Mini-PC-Intel-Core-i7-8565U-Barebone-Intel-HD-graphics-Quad-Core-1_8GHz-Windows8_110-Linux-DP-HDMI-M_2-SATA-PC-p-1561006.html?cur_warehouse=CN

sa10435.jpg
    595 x 421 - 21K
    sa10434.jpg
    533 x 460 - 53K