Personal View site logo
Mac Mini - meet the bad cooling with premium pricing
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • I see exactly zero reason to look for it instead of good cheap Windows small PCs.

The only reason for me would be to use BoomRecorder on a DC converted Mac Mini

The new MacMini now has a security chip, called the T2 (Terminator 2?) which will block all unsigned operating systems from running. Limited currently to MacOS & Windows, no ability to run any Linux / UNIX based OS. (Ironic as MacOS is itself a POSIX OS)

Kinda surprised they're allowing Windows?

• Bad cooling still, throttles like mad

• Windows alternative in similar form factor

I just got same 8G / 128 SSD config (that is quite stupid to get for Windows thing as it is fully standard parts).

Note - CPU here is no competition, as Windows machine has top mobile 6 core CPU.

For example - no ram / no storage is $437

$56 for 8Gb DDR, around $75 for 500GB Samsung SSD makes it $568.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Partaker-B18-DDR4-Coffee-Lake-8th-Gen-Mini-PC-Intel-Core-i7-8750H-32GB-RAM-Intel/32952147981.html

If you so like FCP X install Hackintosh on this.

sa5551.jpg
    800 x 324 - 42K
    sa5552.jpg
    800 x 313 - 43K
  • Re: T2, Intel have had this feature for a while, it’s called ME:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

Not that there are many repairs one can do on a CPU, but ME gives intel complete control over your computer, including network etc.

Google have even deceloped a way to disable ME on their servers it was such a security concern.

• Cooling not so bad as I though

Yet usage of notebooks approach in such design is quite strange.

sa5519.jpg
    800 x 539 - 47K
    sa5520.jpg
    800 x 429 - 47K
  • @alcomposer

Apple also stated that they will use T2 at an any time to block all unauthorized repairs.

• The new MacMini now has a security chip, called the T2 (Terminator 2?) which will block all unsigned operating systems from running. Limited currently to MacOS & Windows, no ability to run any Linux / UNIX based OS. (Ironic as MacOS is itself a POSIX OS)

Source: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Apple-T2-Blocks-Linux-UEFI

• @IronFilm for true portability check out DAW’s running on RPi, or other such devices. (Maybe not able to run boom recorder, but I’m sure there is something else...)

On topic: there is a part of me that is very happy that Apple actually “updated” the MacMini. at least now it’s useable again.

• @IronFilm

Older Mac Mini is quite crappy slow thing. I see exactly zero reason to look for it instead of good cheap Windows small PCs.

• The best news about this? It will make the older Mac Mini models even cheaper on eBay.

As sometimes I toy with the idea of buying an older Mac Mini (modded to 12V DC) to use with BoomRecorder for a sound cart set up.

• I suppose we all need a good laugh, are there any USER SERVICEABLE components?

Or is that the $1199 external GPU...