Personal View site logo
Hollywood worried that fake paid reviews work worse
  • The biggest reality and telling truth of a film’s popularity is that moviegoers vote with their wallets, and business was continually up day after day for The Last Jedi: Thursday’s $45M previews, Friday’s $59.8M ($104.8M including Thursday previews) and then Saturday’s $64M. There’s a huge want-to-see for this movie, and any kind of sour dialogue on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritic stems from cynics or ardent fans battling new fans.

Speaking about the online user reviews this morning, Disney president of theatrical distribution Dave Hollis said, “Rian Johnson, the cast, and the Lucasfilm team have delivered an experience that is totally Star Wars yet at the same time fresh, unexpected and new. That makes this a Star Wars film like audiences have never seen – it’s got people talking, puzzling over its mysteries, and it’s a lot to take in, and we see that as all positive, that should help set the film up for great word-of-mouth and repeat viewing as we enter the lucrative holiday period.”

Words of true businessman. One of a kind people must get rid of as quickly as possible.
    I offer to send them to galaxy far far away, and using most puzzling and mysterious way possible.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Fucking Russians again

new paper from Morten Bay, a research fellow at USC's Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, finds that the polarized fan discourse surrounding *The Last Jedi also happened to be the site of an attempted Russian political influence campaign. Bay examined a corpus of messages tweeted at Rian Johnson between December 13th, 2017, and July 20th, 2018 --- a total of 967 tweets --- ran a sentiment analysis on them, segmented the results by account, and then analyzed the Twitter accounts. "Overall," Bay concludes, "50.9% of those tweeting negatively was likely politically motivated or not even human." (Bay also found that most fans aren't so dissatisfied with The Last Jedi that they're going to boycott any new Star Wars films.)

I think it is new low of "British scientists".

• Jedi Mind tricks:

Disney Wan Kenobi : "I want to see the new Star Wars movie"

Hamster or Monkey: "I want to see the new Star Wars movie!"

These are not the movies we're looking for :)

• Urgent help required

Review site Rotten Tomatoes disabled a couple of long-standing features to fight a new kind of internet culture war. In advance of Captain Marvel’s release, it stopped letting users leave comments before a movie launches, and it removed a badge showing the percentage of people who indicated they wanted to see the film. “Unfortunately,” a staff blog post said, “we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling.”

This is usually how they call anything that disagree with paid for reviews.