Personal View site logo
Olympus most expensive and last m43 camera comes in January
    • Olympus will focus on still shooters again.
    • Again sensor will be slightly improved Sony m43 one
    • Margin will be absolutely record in the industry (even considering crazy FF margins)
    • Camera can be last m43 camera ever released by Olympus, at least among advanced cameras
    • With around 60% probability Olympus camera department will merge with other manufacturer in 2019
    • Around 15% probability that camera department will be suddenly closed
  • 110 Replies sorted by
  • likely given the lack of resources, I assume olympus medical division (the only profitable one) will be acquired as well

• What should the 15% probability. ? Bullshit sorry.

Merging conceivable but I do not think so. Why ? olympus has a great MFT system on the market. Exactly, bring out in 2018, the whole f1.2 lenses and probably soon a 12mm f1.2 and then you clsoe MfT. Completely unrealistic. About merging with whom?

• If Panasonic comes out with a full frame camera, the micro 4/3 system will essentially be dead, no? Who will want to invest in "pro" cameras and lenses with a market saturated with full frame mirrorless systems? It's only a matter of time before some manufacturer comes out with a "budget" full frame mirrorless camera in the $1000 range.

• It would not be dead - why? There is Olympus! Who wants m43? --> many people who do not want to have large and heavy lenses. You do not really believe a full frame mirrorless is coming for 1000 - LOL.

• Some other thoughts from german colleagues:

Olympus had in the last balance sheet mainly costs to consolidate manufacturing to Vietnam. This is an adaptation to declining market, and you do not need, if you want to close anyway.

As the sensors continue to evolve, more and more users reach for MFT, and KB is moving more and more into the high-end corner where medium format was once. Look at the now newly introduced lenses: Yes, they can now like MFT also edge sharpening open, peak medium format sharpness was so far already.

If MFT has a for example a future sensor with very clean 24 to 26 Megapxiel which is good up to ISO 3200/6400 . for hat things you wil need full frame any more ? yes some special things but not that broad mass of people.

even today ISO 3200 is usable very good in comparison with DSLR from the last generation

• I was just speculating based on the amount of investment needed to keep the MFT system alive if Olympus opts out and Pany goes into the full frame game. Personally I prefer MFT for the size vs quality factor and I would hate to see it go. But practically I can't see how these companies can maintain such diverse product lines in a continually shrinking market.

• Fate of m43 can be predicted with fate of Nikon 1 and Samsung NX.

• Yeah i understand you. 2019 will be a very interessant Photography year.

• Please do Not compare Samsung nx or nikon 1 with mft. LOL. Sorry that seems very Strange These were two not really compete Systems. Mft is a really complete and advanced System.

• @Vaterfreuden

Well, Samsung NX was most advanced system on the day of complete closure due to private cartel agreement with Sony considering sensors. It had third party lenses and very good set of Samsung ones, including two outstanding zooms.

Nikon 1 had lot of bodies and was very smart attempt to do proper next generation camera without shutter and very compact form factor. Yes, price was really high. But it is common trend now.

Thinking that m43 could not be suddenly cancelled is stupid. It'll look like Sony A mount and Samsung NX, without any official words. Just bodies will stop coming. Within year all third party lenses will cease to sell, and all remaining brand lenses will be sold out slowly.

• So Nikon 1 Never soll very well and nobody really took it as a real solid Camera System. Yes Samsung was a big bang when going out. But that was / is a multimedia Company with with Focus on consumers and Not pros. All thnings you should look at. Olympus has a very Long camery History. But actually makes not so much sense for me because of releasing those great f1.2 lenses in recent months. Yes could be a slow process. But is this only Brainstorming and unsettling users or do you have reliable sources? Otherwise you should delete that.

• Samsung was a big bang when going out. But that was / is a multimedia Company with with Focus on consumers and Not pros.

Everyone focus on consumers, as so called "pros" buy around 4-7% of all camera bodies, sometimes even less.

But is this only Brainstorming and unsettling users or do you have reliable sources? Otherwise you should delete that.

Wow. Let's not give me directions that to do here :-) Sources on such matters are always fragmented, I post here how I view situation from all info I know. I can be wrong, but can be right. Most of the time I turn out to be right.

• We will see. I do Not think so at theMoment and i do not hope so.

• But as mentioned perhaps they merge- that does not mean quitting mft in every way - perhaps a slow move to xyz can be made

• While 2019 surely will be interesting, Photokina this year will be too. Sadly I don't have the funds for a trip to Cologne this year, but I should imagine that at least some journalist/bloggers with integrity will ask Panasonic reps about the M43 future in light of the FF announcement. Also, will there be any developmenet announcement for GH6 at the show, other bodies or a future lens roadmap present, etc. A clear statement will probably not be made regarding the M43 future, but a lot will probably be possible to sense between the lines so to speak.

• Very expensive
    Built to outshine all current models

43rumors catching up to us

• Only can see this working with high stills FPS count and great 4k framerates. 4/3 BSI stacked sensor on the way?

• @MarcioK

You still live in the past. Main features now are - retro looks, premium design, advanced marketing and big price.

• Neither Panasonic, Nikon, nor Canon expect their full-frame mirrorless cameras to become the dominant format in their product lines. Their primary goal is not to make a profit, but to dilute Sony's market share.

• @LPowell

Neither Panasonic, Nikon, nor Canon expect their full-frame mirrorless cameras to become the dominant format in their product lines.

You mean be sold bodies number?

As they certainly plan to ditch all pro DSLRs, and least in few years time.

Their primary goal is not to make a profit, but to dilute Sony's market share.

And because of this they set the bodies and lenses prices such? After dome heavy drug usage may be.

• Who will want to invest in "pro" cameras and lenses with a market saturated with full frame mirrorless systems?

If everyone else moves to FF and abandons even APS-C, then MFT will be even stronger in how it will stand unique as a small compact travel option.

If MFT has a for example a future sensor with very clean 24 to 26 Megapxiel which is good up to ISO 3200/6400 . for hat things you wil need full frame any more ? yes some special things but not that broad mass of people.

We're almost there, next generation will match or even exceed that.

• @IronFilm

Maybe MFT will stand out if everyone else is focused on 135 format but only if the manufacturers make cameras and lenses that play to those strengths (compact, light weight...)

Unfortunately (for the manufacturers and small camera lovers alike) the history of the system suggests that consumers are unwilling to support high margins on small cameras. It's why Panasonic will never make another GM series camera; a lot of people say they want one but very few people wanted one at the introductory prices.

So instead we get bigger cameras and bigger "Pro" lenses that seem more like an imitation of the larger format rather than an alternative too it.

• For all of you who have doubts whether Olympus will pull the plug in m43, by refering to history, here’s a bit oh historic reading from not so long ago! I even use the overprefered mass reference - Wiki page for easier diggestion among wide masses:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system

We all want small and compact quality system. But not like GM, GF, GX handicaps priced like they are noble species!

m43 will go bywbye, not because it can not stand on its own against competitors but because somebody (high managment of usual suspects) decided to kill it!

I’ve been advocating for RAW video in panasonic bodies since GH3 announcment. Gopro did it, black magic did it ...you realy think panasonic can not do RAW video in GH line due to tech challenges??!?!?

I said it again and let me repeat it: there will be no GH6 on the shelves cause by the time they bring it out to market, smartphones will shoot raw and have low light zooms that will outperform everything we use today...

Sad but true, that I am contemplating of going back to eos system again :(

• I said it again and let me repeat it: there will be no GH6 on the shelves cause by the time they bring it out to market, smartphones will shoot raw and have low light zooms that will outperform everything we use today...

Do not worry, it won't happen.

Smartphones already dividing fast into categories and mass category will stagnate in photo/audio department.

• "I’ve been advocating for RAW video in Panasonic bodies since GH3 announcement. Gopro did it, black magic did it ...you realy[sic] think Panasonic can not[sic] do RAW video in GH line due to tech challenges??!?!?"

@Brig First, No GoPro can shoot RAW video - what are you talking about?

Second, it is easy to dump RAW data, since by definition there is little processing. The problem is that the massive stream of data requires a large and fast storage medium. The Sony FS5/7 FS700 dump RAW data via SDI ports; there is no internal RAW video capability. And the current HDMI spec cannot output RAW.

Third, BM did not quite do it either on their "compact" camera: while the new BMPCC 4K can actually produce RAW video, unless it is compressed with loss or processed in some way (BRAW!) there is no internal storage device capable of absorbing it. Or, at least, not one that is less than the cost of the camera.

The BMPCC 4K is an m43 camera, btw.