Personal View site logo
Olympus most expensive and last m43 camera comes in January
  • 110 Replies sorted by
  • @Vaterfreuden

Well, Samsung NX was most advanced system on the day of complete closure due to private cartel agreement with Sony considering sensors. It had third party lenses and very good set of Samsung ones, including two outstanding zooms.

Nikon 1 had lot of bodies and was very smart attempt to do proper next generation camera without shutter and very compact form factor. Yes, price was really high. But it is common trend now.

Thinking that m43 could not be suddenly cancelled is stupid. It'll look like Sony A mount and Samsung NX, without any official words. Just bodies will stop coming. Within year all third party lenses will cease to sell, and all remaining brand lenses will be sold out slowly.

• Please do Not compare Samsung nx or nikon 1 with mft. LOL. Sorry that seems very Strange These were two not really compete Systems. Mft is a really complete and advanced System.

• Yeah i understand you. 2019 will be a very interessant Photography year.

• Fate of m43 can be predicted with fate of Nikon 1 and Samsung NX.

• I was just speculating based on the amount of investment needed to keep the MFT system alive if Olympus opts out and Pany goes into the full frame game. Personally I prefer MFT for the size vs quality factor and I would hate to see it go. But practically I can't see how these companies can maintain such diverse product lines in a continually shrinking market.

• Some other thoughts from german colleagues:

Olympus had in the last balance sheet mainly costs to consolidate manufacturing to Vietnam. This is an adaptation to declining market, and you do not need, if you want to close anyway.

As the sensors continue to evolve, more and more users reach for MFT, and KB is moving more and more into the high-end corner where medium format was once. Look at the now newly introduced lenses: Yes, they can now like MFT also edge sharpening open, peak medium format sharpness was so far already.

If MFT has a for example a future sensor with very clean 24 to 26 Megapxiel which is good up to ISO 3200/6400 . for hat things you wil need full frame any more ? yes some special things but not that broad mass of people.

even today ISO 3200 is usable very good in comparison with DSLR from the last generation

• It would not be dead - why? There is Olympus! Who wants m43? --> many people who do not want to have large and heavy lenses. You do not really believe a full frame mirrorless is coming for 1000 - LOL.

• If Panasonic comes out with a full frame camera, the micro 4/3 system will essentially be dead, no? Who will want to invest in "pro" cameras and lenses with a market saturated with full frame mirrorless systems? It's only a matter of time before some manufacturer comes out with a "budget" full frame mirrorless camera in the $1000 range.

• What should the 15% probability. ? Bullshit sorry.

Merging conceivable but I do not think so. Why ? olympus has a great MFT system on the market. Exactly, bring out in 2018, the whole f1.2 lenses and probably soon a 12mm f1.2 and then you clsoe MfT. Completely unrealistic. About merging with whom?

• likely given the lack of resources, I assume olympus medical division (the only profitable one) will be acquired as well