Personal View site logo
File-transfer Workflow with Gh13: do I need PhotoFun software at all?
  • Hi all,
    I want to ask you about your file-transfer and editing workflow.

When I bought the body of GH1, it came with this REALLY-REALLY annoying software called "PhotoFunStudio". It occupies 364mb on my computer (which doesn't have much breathing space) and frankly, I still don't understand what is it for??? Is there any particular purpose why I might need it, like "correct" file transfer or the "correct" deletion of video and photo files??? Do I need it at all??? Or shall I just uninstall it?

I noticed that when i shoot in AVCHD, my .MTS files are not time-coded. Do I need "PhotoFunStudio" to time-code them?

Here is my workflow. If you see any mistakes or have any suggestions, please tell me.
    Sometimes I use my GH13 for taking photos, but primarily for making movies. I use GH13 with Blackout-Powell patch, a 5 year old Dell Latitude D820 laptop with 80GB hard-drive and 3.25GB of RAM, 3TB external HDD, Win XP SP3, Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. At the end of the day, I take out the SD card and put it into a USB-card-reader and put it into my laptop. Then I navigate to PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM , select all .MTS files and move them to my external HDD for editing later in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4. Then, I safely remove the SD card, put it back into GH13 and delete all files (sometimes I format the whole card). When I edit with Premiere Pro CS4, I just drag-n-drop the .MTS files (without timecoding) from my external HDD into the bin and edit away.

Any ideas, suggestions, reflections, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • I do pretty much the same, but I use Bulk Rename Utility to rename all my MTS and (and DR100 wavs) to the creation time and date.
  • Try the GH1 File Importer by Phil Seastrand.
    (works for GH2 also.) It will help automate some of your tasks.
    i.e. transfer, collation, and deletion

It will auto-create separate Picture and Video folders (organized by date and time of files.)