Personal View site logo
BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
  • 497 Replies sorted by
  • if it lives up the the spec sheet it will be a great value 2nd camera. Includes Resolve Studio too! Battery life is expected to be around 1 hour.

• @Ironfilm what a nice camera at a fair price. Easy way to just plug in a hard drive. Can't wait to see the IQ.

• Well. I preordered it. I figure I've got 6 months to a year to change my mind.

• Design wise, this ranks up there with the Konica Airborg camera

konica-aiborg.jpg
    728 x 550 - 178K
  • I'm sure it doesn't, but anyone know if it has Genlock (like the Micros)?

• It appears it doesn't? I haven't seen it.

No genlock is not a major issue for 95%+ of users. But timecode is something most people could benefit from if they wished to.

• Been reading around comments elsewhere. And found it strange how some people are saying USB-C drives are "expensive". Yes, please tell me more about how a 128gig drive which costs less than forty bucks is "almost as expensive as a CFast card"!

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-128GB-Type-C-SDDDC2-128G-G46/dp/B01EZ0X55C/

And heck, if you're just doing a basic shot on a tripod that is running for ages (say a locked off shot at an event) you could get a FOUR TERABYTE harddrive for less than US$170:

https://www.amazon.com/G-Technology-G-DRIVE-USB-C-External-0G05666/dp/B06ZY3N7QC/

This is indeed a major feature by BMD!

I remember when I first purchased my original BMPCC I had to spend a small fortune on fast enough and big enough SD cards. Ditto SSD prices when the BMCC first launched, or CFast prices when the big URSA first launched.

• It's neither guaranteed that the camera would output enough power to spin up the G-Drive nor that it would be able to keep up with the output from the camera, but otherwise, you're totally right. It does seem fairly silly to complain that a camera uses "expensive" USB-C SSD storage. :)

• I have to admit, I'm pretty sold on this. How solid is USB - C connection? IOW, how likely will it fall out? The only thing that I'm tired of, is the hdmi crap. We need to move beyond it. BNC connection is industry standard and it should be for any prosumer camera. At least give me the option of having it. I don't mind the way that it looks. It looks like it is designed to fall in line with the Ursa mini pro.

• BM has bite the right size. It may fuck gh5 Gh5s for video at a lot of levels. Still, they have to sale.

Smart move from BM, wait for gh5 to grab market, wait for Gh5s to stop the low light limit notion people had about those "small" sensors. Launch product after market accepted gh5 case scenario m4/3 limits are off now.

Prediction: they will sell like hot cakes, on a Sunday morning at the favourite local hotcakes restaurant. If the IQ is what we want for 2018

Good size for riging up, good body, fuck the design, is functional, has proper sony sensor, has proper 12 bit raw, has the lenses and the mount for versatility. Proven batteries, proven work flow.

Who's LSI is? Is theirs? From whom may it be? Camera has bigger sensor and at its core is compact body design.

For me the bigger quest will be if IQ is better than other BM products, and knowing is stravis sensor, low light and fix pattern noise, and all those problems BM had, will dissappear pretty quickly. Don't expect same colors though.

if this machine if really well implemented, I wonder what does BM has been thinking about ursa mini replacement or 2.5k BM camera replacement.

Those cameras are still working infield, say what anyone says, they are still in filed working.

• Crop factor? 2x?

• Too funny !

39560381820_a75cf53516_c.jpg
    800 x 800 - 121K
  • Blackmagic pocket cam? Fool me once...

I imagine some Blackmagic guys a few years back sat around saying "We make raw processing software. We make recorders. Heck, slap a sensor on there and we've got a camera!" Except Blackmagic doesn't know half of the things that go into a real camera that the big camera makers all know. And so you get a half-baked product that's more frustration than anything else. There are reasons why real cameras cost more, and you hardly see professionals using Blackmagic cameras.

Blackmagic's marketing is very slick. I'll give them that. But I won't give them my money again.

• @balazer, you talk for nothing and you have nothing to share. Just blablabla.

• Amazing specs for the price. IBIS is the main lacking feature for me, but at this price you could pick up a Zhiyun Crane 2 instead.

• @Sangye

Most probably at the time it will be Crane 3 or even Crane 5.

• How solid is USB - C connection? IOW, how likely will it fall out?

I'd only be using it if on a tripod shot, or if with a dedicated cage which has lock screws.

Smart move from BM, wait for gh5 to grab market, wait for Gh5s to stop the low light limit notion people had about those "small" sensors. Launch product after market accepted gh5 case scenario m4/3 limits are off now.

I don't think it happened quite like that.

BMD was just waiting for a suitable 4K sensor to use, and this is the first one which ticks the boxes for them (and BMD isn't alone in jumping onto this sensor! Kinefinity and Z Cam have done the same as well. As BMD couldn't go forward with BMPCC v2.0 until an appropriate sensor was available on the open market).

if this machine if really well implemented, I wonder what does BM has been thinking about ursa mini replacement or 2.5k BM camera replacement.

Those cameras are still working infield, say what anyone says, they are still in filed working.

This is undoubtedly the "replacement" for the BMCC. (heck I'd argue the BMMCC was the "replacement" for the BMCC!)

Crop factor? 2x?

Slightly less.

There are reasons why real cameras cost more, and you hardly see professionals using Blackmagic cameras.

Tonnes of professionals use BMD. For example, a large chunk of this TV show is shot with URSA Mini Pro cameras:

• Can also use small SLC USB sticks, I think.

Or USB-C to M.2 cases.

• Agreed with him, internal NDs is the big feature missing from the BMPCC4K.

• This Camera will be the Killer.

• it would be interesting to see a dynamic range comparison between GH5S vlog and BMPCC4K raw.

• Same sensor bro. It's who implemented better.

• @endotoxic

Modern sensor output already digital data. So, in raw it must be exactly same at same temperature (proper design also helps to lower noise).