Personal View site logo
YI 4K+ 4K 60fps camera official topic
  • 121 Replies sorted by
  • Also, I just confirmed that the bitrate hack works - I now have a card which sets 4kp60 to 270 megabits and 4kp30 and 4kp24 to 200 megabits. I should be able to get some side-by-side tests done this weekend when I have some time. I don't expect the difference to be huge since the quality is already pretty good.

Also, going to the higher rates was too much for the Samsung Evo Select card that I originally tried with (despite that it claims it can handle 480 megabits sustained writes). A Sandisk Extreme V30 card seems able to keep up with 270 (correction: upon reviewing the footage, it didn't keep up with 270 - it just didn't stop recording; the footage was full of weird pauses and green frames - I probably need to back this off a bit).

I also got curious about mods and found that somebody makes a conversion kit to swap out the original lens for a c mount. I ordered one and intend to convert one of mine and see how the quality is since one of the only weaknesses of this camera for me is the overly wide-angle lens.

• (Also probably useful will be to find a d-mount to c-mount adapter since I imagine that most of my c mount lenses will have the problem of being a bit too long - I think a 2/3" sensor is about a 5.7x crop equivalent from 35mm full frame... which means my widest c mount lens (10mm berthiot) will be around the field of view of a 57mm lens. Oof.

• I bumped the 60p bitrate down to 230 megabits which seems to work OK on my V30 card without corrupted frames (makes sense since it's only guaranteed to write 240 megabits). I should be set for some side-by-side tests over the weekend!

Also, the guy doing the hack figured out how to enable 720p300 in addition to 1080p150 - not bad for a camera which goes on sale for $280.

• Oh yeah, that reminds me - I can't see a whole lot of difference in clips, even with a fair amount of motion in them. 135 megabits/second is already pretty great and the lens isn't really outstanding.

1080p150 looks OK (and I'm sure some extra bitrate helps there). 720p300 looks like garbage, even with extra bits, but then 720p240 didn't look great to start with.

My attempt to install the ribcage mount on one was a nearly total failure and the camera isn't working right - I'll be sending it to the Ribcage folks to see if it can be salvaged. :-/

• Promises, promises...

Highly detailed scene, with rain, and movement. The three clips were shot at 135 Mbps, 160 Mbps, and 200 Mbps respectively. Rendered at 200 Mbps.

• Testing 200 Mbps 4K 60P on the Yi 4K+

I set the bitrate at 200 Mbps and shot for 1.25 hours, resulting in 47 GB's of video clips. The temperature was 76 F, with direct sunlight. No overheating, no frames dropped. Perfectly normal, except for somewhat higher battery draw, but I had still had 33% left when I stopped.

Here is the 200 Mbps-shot 4K 60P video:

This "hack" does not alter the firmware, it just loads the settings in memory. Doing that does not invalidate the warranty, and is easy to install.

Does 200 Mbps make a difference compared with the default of 135 Mbps (a 50% increase)? Who knows; but it does not hurt!

• Cool - the hackers figured out how to get 4Kp70... not a huge boost from 60, but a little extra never hurt...

https://github.com/irungentoo/Xiaomi_Yi_4k_Camera/tree/master/4k%2B/increased_framerate

• Zhiyun Evolution gimbal.

• Current deal for $210 at Amazon - seems to be just about the lowest price ever for this awesome camera: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CW4AZ4M Use code ZBLJSCWN

• eatstoomuchjam, why are you doing this to me? I made some major purchases recently and you just had to talk about the $210 price for the Yi 4K+. It's definitely tempting. That's less than half the price of the GoPro Hereo 6. At least the good news for me is that I rarely buy new video games now unlike many, many years ago.

• Yi 4K+ Action Camera Bundle w/ Gimbal for $299

• Yi 4K+ Action Camera
    • Gimbal
    • Bike Mount
    • Head Strap
    • Wrist Strap
    • Helmet Mount

Code SDIA8VIN

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CW4AZ4M

• Is the 24p 24.000 or 23.976? Tx.

• @PauloTeixeira - Not only is it less than half the price of the Hero 6, but aside from playing with hacks for it, I don't think I've managed to make any of mine (I have a few) crash, even once... I keep hearing that the Hero 6 crashes a lot and/or that it sometimes glitches out on half the screen. The Yi is boring - it just records what I tell it to record and doesn't make a fuss.

• Yi 4K+ and Zhiyun Smooth Q gimbal

• hello i made this video:

what is your guess as to why these cyan & magenta color block artifacts appear? the video is exported with DNXHR codec and directly uploaded to youtube for best quality, so this is not a youtube compression issue. it's also visible on the original files. to double check i also extracted frames with VLC and windows media player and all are showing these colors in the snow.

• Action live now, with all discounts price is $255

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CW4B2P8/

• and slow motion excerpts:

• Hi Markr041, just wondering how does the Yi 4K+ perform in the night, do you have samples (either normal bitrate or the high bitrate hack) which you can post them? TIA.