Personal View site logo
Vimeo soon to go out of video sharing business
  • 31 Replies sorted by
  • @tubefingers I agree with you but your business account costs 40 USD/month. Very different from my 50$/yr plus account. On plus account I don find many difference anymore with YT

• Be a shame if they go under - FrameIO is the only similar option I can think of if we need to switch provider, woulda thought Vimeo had enough Plus/Pro/Business users to stay in business. Are these rumours related to them now charging for any storage over 5GB for free users?

@Longjohnsilver - YT is a different model for a different set of users, there is a lot that Vimeo does that I wouldn't be able to achieve on YT, listed most of the features in my previous comment

• Many years ago Vimeo has been very different from YouTube. Now it isn't worth anymore except maybe for ads. They deliberately destroyed their key differences against the will of their paying community. A suicide. Once upon a time there was a player which let you choose video resolution. Once upon a time there was a player which let you choose 1:1 aspect ratio.

Now they removed all their peculiar features imitating YT because adaptive streaming it's the future. Thing is that they are technically incompetent to produce something even barely comparable to YT. So now their player fails to sense the connection speed 90% of the time resulting in a pixelated video. Professionals showing their video have to explain all of this to their customers while before even a chimp understood the magic of pause and buffering (if needed).

Now if you have an old 720p or 1080p video and your screen is 2560 or 4K there's no way to see it 1:1 as before. You have to see it in a box or full screen overstretched.

YouTube is exactly the same but it's free. Why I should pay 50$ each year?customer support is horrible.

The only thing I miss is the healthy network of friends built during the years.

RIP Vimeo

• @tubefingers

Reality can be that Vimeo is on life support for quite a time. Like AMD had been for long time. Too keep some company.

• I find Vimeo really useful for clients focussed stuff, can store client videos, replace/update easily, provide downloadable links, get feedback via timecoded notes etc. Lot of stuff you cant do on YT, pretty good value for money for us (Plus account for corporate productions)

• I never understood vimeo outside of being a place to upload camera/lens demos, which you can also do on youtube