Personal View site logo
Canon EOS V1 - take on GH5S
  • New FF Canon mirrorless camera coming in February.

Rumored specs

• 20-25Mp FF sensor with dual AF, 15 stops DR
    • Completely new LSI - video oriented, very fast
    • Focus - video market and also high speed photo market
    • 4K 24/30fps recording at 422 mode, 200Mbit and 400Mbit
    • 4k 50fps and 4k60fps modes at 420
    • Possible compressed raw recording option ($199)
    • Target price will be same as GH5S, Panasonic is expected to announce GH5 and GH5S price correction in March
    • New mount
    • New video oriented fully silent bright lenses
  • 12 Replies sorted by
  • Interesting. I haven't seen mention of it anywhere else. Can you share your source?

• @QuickHitRecord

If you look at rumors sites, they mention it, just without names.

Camera will come with new LSI, similar to

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/18819/canon-g7x-mark-iii-with-4k-5060p-video#Item_1

• @tonalt

Source?

Names? Safe houses? Passwords? :-)

• Good. GH5 and GH5S are both over priced.

• 15 stops and raw for 2k? No, not in 2018.

• Very interesting... although, the 60fps at only 4:2:0 would be a killer for me. I'll probably still wait to see some footage before buying a GH5s though...

• This is C200 territory...

• 4K 24/30fps recording at 422 mode, 200Mbit and 400Mbit

If this is done without a crop, and at the same price as a GH5S, then this will indeed be impressively unlike Canon!

although, the 60fps at only 4:2:0 would be a killer for me

Not a deal breaker though, as no mirrorless can do that currently internally.

Good. GH5 and GH5S are both over priced.

They're not, nothing else packs this much value into prices as low as theirs. But of course, I would also welcome lower prices!

New mount

Be weird to ditch EF-M, can't it support FF? If so I'm rather surprised indeed they designed it without looking to the future.

• So full frame C200 in photo camera body. Nice!

• Funny thing this...

"Possible compressed raw recording option ($199)"

Canon cameras have LONG had the ability to generate compressed raw stills... Canon RAW Lite might just be a variant of this type of compression on an i-frame basis in a nice container file... That's how I would propose to have done it... Could be a nice magic lantern trick to re-route the frame buffer into the Canon Compressed Raw registers, then route that data to dump to memory cards... I'd gladly pay $2500 for a Canon Mirrorless with these kind of capabilities though (if you're reading this Canon)