Personal View site logo
Youtube - New Channels not Welcome
  • Back in April of 2017, we set a YPP eligibility requirement of 10,000 lifetime views. While that threshold provided more information to determine whether a channel followed our community guidelines and policies, it’s been clear over the last few months that we need a higher standard.

Starting today we’re changing the eligibility requirement for monetization to 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. We’ve arrived at these new thresholds after thorough analysis and conversations with creators like you. They will allow us to significantly improve our ability to identify creators who contribute positively to the community and help drive more ad revenue to them (and away from bad actors). These higher standards will also help us prevent potentially inappropriate videos from monetizing which can hurt revenue for everyone.

On February 20th, 2018, we’ll also implement this threshold across existing channels on the platform, to allow for a 30 day grace period. On that date, channels with fewer than 1,000 subs or 4,000 watch hours will no longer be able to earn money on YouTube. When they reach 1,000 subs and 4,000 watch hours they will be automatically re-evaluated under strict criteria to ensure they comply with our policies. New channels will need to apply, and their application will be evaluated when they hit these milestones.

Though these changes will affect a significant number of channels, 99% of those affected were making less than $100 per year in the last year, with 90% earning less than $2.50 in the last month. Any of the channels who no longer meet this threshold will be paid what they’ve already earned based on our AdSense policies. After thoughtful consideration, we believe these are necessary compromises to protect our community.

https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/01/additional-changes-to-youtube-partner.html

Small guys - always remember, if big media start to blow up something like Logan Pauls case, it won't be him who will be punished, it is just small funny script to punish you.

Small lesson of capitalism :-)

• 45 Replies sorted by
  • Yikes! That is pushing the threshold up a lot higher.

Ah well on the upside, I was never ever expecting to make any money anyway from my YT channel! So this won't change anything.

• @IronFilm

They actually also introduced new term for small channels - Bad Actors.

Seems like good pair to Fake News.

Good text onthis

A Lamb, one sweltering day, came by a stream to drink.
    An lo, calamity had to befall him
    In that a hungry Wolf was scouring about nearby.
    He sees the Lamb and rushes to his prey;
    But, to give the deed the look and sense of law,
    He yells, “How dare you, you rogue, immerse your filthy mug
    In my pure drinking water,
    and cloud it with silt and sand?
    For such impertinence
    I will indeed remove your head!” –

“His Highness Wolf permitting,
    I will dare submit that I am drinking
    About a hundred paces downstream;
    His wrath is all for naught:
    I cannot possibly pollute his draft of water.” –

“And thus I lie?!
    You wretch! Such rudeness is unheard of in this world!
    And I remember, too, a couple of summers back,
    You, in this very spot, insulted me!”
    “For goodness’ sake, I am not a year old yet,”
    Pleads the Lamb. “It was your brother, then.”
    “I have no brothers.” “Then some other relative,
    Or someone of your ilk.
    You all, your dogs, and all your shepherds,
    You wish me ill
    And hurt me any time and any way you are able.
    But I will make you pay for all their sins!”

“Oh, but how am I at fault?” – “Shut up! Enough!
    I’ve no time to sort through your transgressions!
    You are at fault that I am famished,”

He said – and dragged the Lamb into the woods.

• I think 1,000 subscribers is quite reasonable. I mean, it's a free service hosting these vids from YouTube, and also, it's just going to become a universe of video if it keeps going. What happens when there is just too much video?
    I guess I get about 1,700 subscribers per month, so I just don't see it as a big hurdle, if you have something that people want to watch, you will get subscribers, for sure.
    However, that does mean that artists will think more about mass appeal and less about pure art, unless they have a good subscriber base in place.

• I guess I get about 1,700 subscribers per month, so I just don't see it as a big hurdle, if you have something that people want to watch, you will get subscribers, for sure

Here we can see example on how class conscience works :-)

Actually it does not make any excuse for Youtube. It is more general, less niche and less individual channels that will be getting to the mark.

You do not feel same, as actually you do not notice most of the work being done for each music video. It is not you who composed and arranged music, and not you who performed it, not you who made all music instruments, building where it all happens, you do not make original idea for your clips, you do not write script for each clip, etc. Some small talented lonely guy starting channel do not feel same as you do.

I mean, it's a free service hosting these vids from YouTube, and also, it's just going to become a universe of video if it keeps going. What happens when there is just too much video?

It is not "free hosting service". Instead it is profitable platform that is integral part of much more profitable empire that tracks and stores your every move (if you own Android phone), every site you visit and each of your searches. And both of them are extreme monopolies.

• I dunno. It's a big picture, lots of different players. If you put any video online, you get a few thousand views, even if you turn the camera on at random. Hard to see the big picture but the market is there.
    However, we do if fact arrange the music, compose some of it, rehearse and perform all of it, write the scripts, we help develop the musical instruments and also work in designing them, we maintain, modify and string the instruments, voice, repair and maintain the wind instruments, and so on. It's definitely a lot of work, and that work could be outsourced (very expensive to do that, obviously...which is why we have to do it ourselves). The musical scores are very difficult and time consuming to produce, often taking months to complete.

• It may be a monopoly, I don't know. It's funny that there is no real competition....part of it is that the competition is not very good, but maybe it is a de facto monopoly.
    So if it is a monopoly, you can argue, hey, you are the only game in town, everybody should have a seat at the table. But, on the other hand, it already is a giant ocean of video. If there is too much video, there's no way to sort it. It's like a museum with a billion paintings, no way to view it.

• If you put any video online, you get a few thousand views, even if you turn the camera on at random. Hard to see the big picture but the market is there

No.

However, we do if fact arrange the music, compose some of it, rehearse and perform all of it, write the scripts, we help develop the musical instruments and also work in designing them, we maintain, modify and string the instruments, voice, repair and maintain the wind instruments, and so on. It's definitely a lot of work, and that work could be outsourced (very expensive to do that, obviously...which is why we have to do it ourselves). The musical scores are very difficult and time consuming to produce, often taking months to complete.

Well, it means that you are quite unusual. :-)

It may be a monopoly, I don't know. It's funny that there is no real competition....part of it is that the competition is not very good, but maybe it is a de facto monopoly.

May be it is good time to read something on how and why capitalism leads to monopolies? Can be useful.

• It's a weird scene. Look at Facebook, they have the whole planet hooked up, and they used to offer high quality video. Then the video went all fizzy with cheap flash and crappy sound. Then the made it better, then worse again, who knows? But the basic idea, which is to make good quality streaming and have a permanent host, really isn't there in FB. That's weird. Makes no sense, and it keeps things the way they are. Even AMD and Intel have some rivalry going on to keep things interesting. Microsoft could do something, and it would help boost their search engine (well, a bit, anyway...), or any of a number of companies could do it.
    As far as unusual, I have to say a lot of the ppl I know who have a decent YouTube channel (say, more than 25,000 subs) work really hard, like working in a law firm level of work, and do a lot of the work themselves. I'm sure some have some serious money, or can get funding to have the work done (and that's a good skill....to get funding), but I don't know so many ppl with the big pile of money. I also think if you went online years ago, that is a bit of an advantage, but there's still room in the market.
    I've done statistical studies of channels and random posting type stuff. Although it's hard to say what kind of views a basic video will get, one thing is clear: it's proportional to the market. Five years ago you would get more views for a random video, now, the market is becoming saturated. I tell ppl, make your channel now, or be prepared to start at a steep disadvantage. Seven or eight years ago, ppl did a study where they posted random videos, and they got thousands of views. If you did that today, you might go as low as a few hundred. But if you make any kind of interesting thing in you video, you will get quite a bit more, at least for the the short term. In six months, maybe everything will be hard to find. Establishing a channel is like creating a lighthouse where ppl can see you are there.

• This is excellent news!

• Here's some extra info and clarifications:

UPDATE: I’m adding answers to a few questions mentioned below to help clarify. I will continue to update with any other questions!

If I’m in an MCN but my channel has less than 4,000 watch hours in the previous 12 months and 1,000 subscribers will I be able to run ads? Channels that are in an MCN and below this threshold will be released from the MCN. To be an affiliate channel of an MCN, that channel must be a part of YPP, so channels must have more than 4,000 watch hours in the previous 12 months and more than 1,000 subscribers to become an MCN affiliate.

We can hit the sub criteria if we sub to each others channels! Subscribe to my channel. While we love supporting other channels, offering to subscribe to another creator’s channel solely in exchange for them subscribing to your channel, also known as "Sub4Sub," is not allowed. Creators who offer such exchanges risk losing subscriber numbers, receiving a Terms of Use strike, or even having their channel terminated.

Do I need 1k subs OR 4k watch hours in the past 12 months? Or do I need both? Both are needed. If your channel has less than 1k subs OR less than 4k watch hours then it doesn't meet both requirements and will be removed from YPP on Feb 20th.

Do I need 1k subs in the past 12 months or total? The new requirements are 1k subs TOTAL and 4k watch hours in the past 12 months.

I got an email saying I don’t meet the new criteria. What’s up with this? If YouTube Analytics shows >4k hours of watch time in the past 12 months and 1k subscribers total, you received the email in error. Sorry for the confusion, but so long as you meet the threshold by the Feb 20th date, you won’t be removed from YPP.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/A3DoDo-OGyU

• @PauloTeixeira

I think all was pretty clear.

Actually thing made to quickly bump Youtube income. As they will now use small channels as free content (no need to share income anymore) bait and put only big channels to recommended list.

• “channels earning five figures annually grew more than 35 percent, while channels earning six figures annually grew more than 40 percent.”

More for big guys, less for small guys.

• In its continuing war on smaller channels, youtube is now experimenting with a non-chronological subscriptions feed so that they can promote video from bigger/better-monetized channels.

We are currently experimenting with how to show content in the subs feed. We find that some viewers are able to more easily find the videos they want to watch when we order the subs feed in a personalized order vs always showing most recent video first.

https://gizmodo.com/youtube-is-messing-with-the-order-of-videos-in-some-use-1826292934

• @eatstoomuchjam

Well, it is capitalism.

• I'm not disagreeing. :)

• @eatstoomuchjam

With each new sector or niche many people somehow think that this time it'll be different :-)
    Had been with computer hardware, software, after this with search, social networks, video hosting, etc

• Right. They have marketing people who are trying to maximize time on site as well as funneling people to the videos yielding the largest advertising profits.

I've noticed this with my own channel as well - if I visit the site in incognito mode and watch my own videos, the next autoplay video and about 95% of the "suggested videos" are from monetized channels. My own videos only rarely show up, even those that are in the same playlist. There's no profit motive in promotion of my content due to lack of monetization. This pattern will only continue and worsen - and unfortunately, the competition for video hosting sites is pretty limited community-wise.

• Who else is paying us like YT? At least they pay. Sure, I would like more. But who else is paying?

• Who else is paying us like YT? At least they pay. Sure, I would like more. But who else is paying?

As it is effective monopoly who also happen to own monopoly search engine and largest ad network- no one actually could.

In reality youtube is paying really tiny amounts.

• I would agree YT is paying tiny amounts. I never saw much while i was in Adsence.

• It might be tiny, but it is huge compared to my other online revenues.

• @DrDave

As we already saw you are very specific :-)

• YT is not paying me. I don't have enough subscribers to monetize. So no, "at least they pay" is not true for the majority of channels these days.

• A lot of YouTube channels have recently got approved to be a partner at least according to what I read on Reddit this morning. If anyone been waiting, check your email to see if you've been approved.

• New experiment

YouTube is testing out a feature that it hopes will improve auto-generated thumbnails, it'll be random 0.3% small channels that will be killed on purpose by replacing their own thumbnails with auto generated shit.

People are like pets for them.