Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • 533 Replies sorted by
  • vitaly 14 bit video is possible if hacked? or venus engine h264/5 cant deliver 12 bit video? is on soc problem? cos on photo mode 14 bit can be achived.

• @endotoxic

Main idea to eliminate IBIS is improve cooling, hence improve DR.

• I think is better with no IBIS. The multi aspect is grate very functional. Dual pixel, i didnt thought it could be possible since sony sensor dont have this tech, but seem the readout in that HDR mode, give " that circuity" to emulate it. props for pana for making it possible.

I wish they dont fuck up and give us only 150mbps long gop. ALL I is needed, is a must, if proper pro like work is spected. IBIS was not good for cinema use.

• @IronFilm

My second though is that Zaxcom wireless timecode patent made extremely negative consequences to industry.

As otherwise we had it long time ago.

• My immediate thoughts on the Panasonic GH5S is: FINALLY the first stills camera with TC I/O!

• Yep

Panasonic has ditched the 20.3MP Micro Four Thirds Live MOS sensor found in the GH5 and replaced it with an all-new 10.2MP sensor. This has allowed Panasonic to improve on the maximum ISO of 25,600 on the GH5, with an ISO ceiling of 51,200 in the GH5S.

To reduce the risk of background image noise in low-light conditions, Panasonic has also included its Dual Native ISO Technology – we'll bring you more detail on this when we have it.

The Lumix GH5S also gives those shooting stills the option to shoot 14-bit raw files, while the newly developed multi-aspect sensor provides sufficient margin to get the same angle of view in 4:3, 17:9, 16:9, and 3:2 aspect ratios.

Lumix GH5S shoots at a world-first 4K 60/50p recording in Cinema 4K (4096 x 2160).

That's just part of the story, as the GH5S is capable of internal 4:2:2 10-bit recording, which should deliver even stronger color reproduction, while V-Log now comes pre-installed on the camera – something that was an additional cost on the GH5.

Lumix GH5S complies with 4K HDR video with Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) mode in Photo Style. The GH5S also records 4:2:2 10-bit 400Mbps All-Intra in 4K (at 30p/25p/24p) and Cinema 4K (24p) and 200Mbps All-Intra in Full HD.

The Lumix GH5S has Timecode In/out, making it easy to synchronize multiple compatible devices when filming, for pain-free post-production editing. A bundled coaxial cable for a BNC terminal connects to the flash sync terminal of the camera, allowing the camera to be used as a Timecode generator for other GH5S cameras and professional camcorders.

Apart from a flash of red round the collar of the mode dials on the top of the camera, and a red record button (and of course the 'S' designation on the front), the design of the Lumix GH5S is unchanged from the GH5.

This means it also gets the same magnesium alloy full die-cast front and rear frame, while it's also dust-proof, splash-proof, and freeze-proof down to -10C. Like the GH5, it's equipped with dual SD memory card slots, compatible with UHS-II and Video Speed Class 60 SDXC cards, while there's a HDMI Type A terminal as well.

Electronic viewfinder is same, with a large magnification ratio of 0.76x (35mm camera equivalent) that delivers a smooth display at 120fps, and a 3.2-inch vari-angle touchscreen with a 3,680K-dot resolution.

The Lumix GH5S also promises to make composition and shooting in poor light that much easier. Live View Boost increases the sensitivity just for Live View, while there's also a night mode that features a red interface.

The autofocus system has also been tweaked over the GH5. The 225-area AF arrangement stays the same, but the GH5S can now focus in light levels as low as -5EV (on the GH5 it's -4EV).

As far as burst shooting speeds go, it matches the GH5's top burst rate of 12fps (12-bit raw files in AFS). This drops down to 8fps if you're in continuous AF (AFC), while if you're shooting in 14-bit raw it's 11fps (AFS) and 7fps (AFC).

The Panasonic Lumix GH5S will be available from the end of January priced at £2,199/$2,499 (body only). Australian pricing is to be confirmed.

image.

sa1306.jpg
    800 x 467 - 50K
    sa1308.jpg
    638 x 365 - 30K
  • Panasonic GH5S leaked by Tech Radar

They put up a page too early, now gets redirected to their old GH5 review.

But Google Cache remembers! ;-)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:nTmLu6vItjcJ:www.techradar.com/news/the-lumix-gh5s-is-panasonics-most-video-focused-camera-yet

Key info:

• 4k Cinema at 60/50p
    • Internal 4:2:2 10-bit
    • V-LOG preinstalled
    • Complies with 4k HDR with Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) mode in photo style.
    • Bundled BNC terminal, built-in time code generator
    • Focus in lower light level -5EV compared to -4EV on GH5
    • Max ISO 51,200
    • 10.2 MP sensor
    • Dual Native ISO
    • GH5s available from end of January
    • $2,499
  • I like Red Buttons!

Red Buttons

• It's real, it's alive and it's gonna cost more.

• No surprises. Via Nokishita / 43 Rumors.

• Of course it is not firmware :-) It is also red button and other sensor :-)

• Luke Neumann, which had one for testing, said that "It is not firmware".

• So, let's hope for firmware 400mbit all intra 422 10bit on update.

If this could be hacked.... I wonder if it Could make 14bit H264/5. Sensor has a back prosessor since it's bsi staked. Should this help?

sa1202.jpg
    686 x 681 - 51K
  • The Panasonic GH5s will be announced on January 8 at 10am PT time.

• why there is no Multiaspect sensor in it? Is it left for GH5M for ¢3000? :)

• If sensot technology is the same, so dynamic range will be the same.

Unless they use Varicam sensor technology.

• I don't see much of an improvement over the GH5 specs, but I'm hoping for a greater dynamic range. If we can get 14 stops, then we'd have a mini Arri in our hands for $2500.

Also haven't seen any mention of an anamorphic mode for this new camera. Frankly, I was hoping to use that 6K potential, too.

If this new camera has a pro-level dynamic range and that anamorphic capability, I'm sold.

• It seems there will be no hdr with two exposures merged, nor dual native iso.

Maybe it will be only the megapixels difference.

• More specs from 43rumors

• 10,28 m43 sensor
    • 12 fps serial shooting, but only RAW 12bit, 10 fps with 14bit
    • 1/8,000 shutter from G9
    • 1/16,000 electronic shutter
    • 1/250 flash sync
    • 1/25 – 1/6,000 video shutter
    • UHD and C4K at 60fos, 150Mbit max, 422 10bit
    • 1080p180 and 1080p240 modes
    • 1728-zone multi-pattern metering system
    • 1,62mdots LCD touchscreen
    • Same old 3,68mdots OLED EVF
    • 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2
    • Panasonic DMW-BLF19PP battery (GH5 one)
    • Build in stereo mikes
    • Monaural speaker
    • Two memory card slots
    • 4K photos
    • HDMI Type A and USB 3.1 connectors
    • Remote, TC in/out
    • 138,5×98.1×87.4mm
    • Dust-proof and splash-proof body
    • $2499 price
  • From 43rumors: "TC in/out"

HELL YEAH!!!

This is big BIG NEWS!!

Hasn't been a feature for Panasonic MFT stills cameras ever before, with the one exception of the GH4 YAGH.

• Also, there are some schools of thought that the frame-frame deltas are smaller at higher bitrate so a good codec can get by with less bandwidth.

For 60fps increase of necessary bitrate is really small, especially for static camera or smoothly moved. Plus if you don't want to make heavy grading :-) Actually 60fps makes encoder work simpler, as changes are smaller and easy to track.

• 4kp30 looks great on the GH5 in 150 megabit h.264. If the new camera records with h.265, that would allow for better quality at 4kp60. Also, there are some schools of thought that the frame-frame deltas are smaller at higher bitrate so a good codec can get by with less bandwidth.

• Wont 4k/60 @ 10/422 look fairly poor @ 150Mbps? Does that type of data require something in the 300-400 Mbps range?