Personal View site logo
Using 30 min limit as a benefit?
  • Hi Guys,

Might there be a way to manipulate the '30 min limit' to allow for specified recording times? So you could set a timelapse etc and get the camera to record for an hour or so, then stop.

The main reason I ask is because with the latest "driftwood patch" the recording is cutting out at 3:58 (Because of the 4gig limit i've been told) and corrupting the file for Final Cut Pro. So just wondered if we could set the camera to cut out at 3:50 mins, by changing the max record limit, thus not corrupting the file.

Thanks
    Jon
  • 14 Replies sorted by
  • this is actually a good idea.
  • +1
    Maybe this could be set by the person creating the patch?
  • just implement new time limit option, which could also be included with right value in the ini by patch creator
  • I think it is not a problem to do this.
    I'll look.
  • THX! Much better to have 15-20 sec less than corrupted files all over.
  • Ive fixed corrupted files with p2/avccam panny tools in the past. Also its touch and go, sometimes a recording will correctly stop when it reaches 4gig. I think by shortening to 3:58 the same thing will happen touch and go success.
  • Since FAT32 file size is 4GB and AVCHD is variable bitrate, is there a way to have the limit set based off of current written file size opposed to time base?
  • Bitrate and frame limits for 1080/720 spanning can be found in AQuamotion v2 patch. I guess no patch will span if theyre bigger than that. Maybe small increments but not much. But I reckon its roughly around a totalled 50M rate accumulated with all the settings you make - looking at buffers.
  • @driftwood are you hopeful that the 95mb/s Sandisk will usher in higher spanning bitrate?
  • @alcomposer Im still waiting for one to come in. Ive been waiting for nearly two months for two companies to send in eval cards. @NickBen has a 95Mb/s card and I think he was showing not a great deal of difference between sandisk 30Mb/s cards.
  • @driftwood darn! Lets hope @NickBen had a bad card! :-( Probably didn't...
  • @alcomposer The 95MB/s card is certainly faster in benchmarks and file transfers so far I've seen from other cards so far and compared to my Transcend SDXC card, but I guess the limiting factor is the GH2 and seeing how much we can put that extra throughput to use. The card has handled evrything I threw at it so far.

It spans on the Driftwood 220mbps patch the entire card (I have 8GB), so I get about 23 minutes continuous recording so far. The card show 2 files (one about 4.3GB and another about 3.1GB), and when you pull the first file into Premiere, it shows the entire length of 23 minutes.
  • @NickBen can you test the newest @driftwood Intra patches??
    Also I have (ashamedly) forgotten if 220mbps is intra or not.
    Would the 220mbps span on the Sandisk HD Video 30Mbps? Maybe breakthrough? Fingers and toes crossed!
  • Guys- I have created a thread to discuss the 95Mb/s Extreme Pro spanning reports. @Jspatz reported that he was able to achieve spanning on his with @driftwoods Seaquake settings and a 64gig.

There is also the possibility that different size cards have different speeds (as the GH2 is not UHS-1 the 'base' speed of the memory could be vary highly).

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1491/95mbs-sandisk-extreme-pro-spanning-reports