Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • This is a low light version of the GH5.

Crop values

• 3680 pixel long in 4/3 = 2x crop factor in 4/3 still mode
    • 3840 pixel long in 3/2 = 1,91x crop factor in 3/2 still mode
    • 4016 pixel long in 16/9 = 1,832x crop factor in 16/9 still mode
    • 4096 pixel long in 17/9 = 1.796x crop factor in 17/9 (DCI 4K) video mode
    • 3840 pixel long in 3/2 = 1,91x crop factor in 16/9 4K UHD video mode.
    • Speed Booster Ultra + GH5s + DCI 4K = crop factor of 1,275x with 35mm lenses.
    • Speed Booster XL + GH5s + DCI 4K = crop factor of 1,149x with 35mm lenses.

Available for preorder at

• 533 Replies sorted by
  • Anonymity for source protected?

• @eyeBOX

It is 43rumors source.

Rumors of such camera surfaced for months now.

• VK what are chances of this GH5s having better DR and codec options internally (than the GH5) ?

• When Sony launched that 4/3 Starvis sensor some time ago (for "industrial purposes"), I thought that it would be perfect for a low light GH... http://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor0/img/product/cmos/IMX294CJK_Flyer.pdf

4k 120fps, really? And anybody knows what means that Quad-Bayer thing?

• This is just too good to be true...

4k Multiaspect, HDR with time sync, low light monster, the sensor is real, it exists, but to put it in a GH camera is against capitalist marketing behavior...

This is what I was thinking about the GH6 in the "Wishes for GH6 topic". Will they do it now??? If yes, the GH6 will need to be 8k to make sense. Maybe they will castrate the HDR function? Or castrate something?

Let's wait and see... and sing...

You're just too good to be true
    I can't take my eyes off you
    You'd be like heaven to touch
    I wanna hold you so much

• It was mentioned several times on this site since gh2 hack that an alternate version of gh line was a good move.

If gh5 LSI is paired with a lower resolution sensor, high frame rate, and while others will struggle on possesing power, gh series will shine with noise reduction, and other aliasing problems that come with resolution and speed.

I expected good delivery of products before, but if this Gh5s is true, it will be like another dslr '' revolution'', since the format never leave the media, just adopted new formd like C300 line of cameras. So this gh5s version will be perfect too pick up, and strengthen the series.

As a long time member of this community PV site and earlier on DVX user, gh series has long time fan base, hardcore fanbase. M4/3 its a really good format, very multi purpose cameras. on times where fullframe is the show, having this format with optimised features, will blow competition away if a good low light is achieved, since very much is done on apsc and full frame only for low noise and better iso. Put a speed booster, DOF done, equalised t's no problem anymore. Youl have same look.

I am exited to see this camera make a move. As a DP I'm wishing this little beast to make grate image if v-log and VaricamLt settings are added, doesn't matter if 10bit, it will pull grate image. It's funny how on the beginning gh series Was managed from photo only Panasonic group, those engeniers where so well thought, now look, Varicam team is maybe now working hand to hand and maybe asking for some advices from that small photo team in Panasonic.

• A game of specs: Assuming that they use the same sensor as the rumor site tells, Sony imx294cjk. Chances are that 10bit flavor is all over.

H264 16:9 4k 120 10bit 400/150mbps all I/ipb 16:9 4k 60 12bit 400/150mbps " " 16:9 4k 30 12bit 400/150mbps " " 17:9 4k 24 10bit 400/150mbps " " HDR 17:9 2k 60 10bit " " HDR 16:9 2k 24 12bit " " HDR

Anamorphic H265 10. 7mpx 4:3 24p 10bit 400mbps/150 all I/ipb

• That sensor can do HDR in 4k. Each pixel can be divided into four subpixels, so there will be two different 4k exposures that can be merged into a more dynamic range image.

• This hdr function ,how useful will it be if final output is not hdr source ,will we still gain DR by filming with it

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

One fun thing you can do when the GH5s is released: compare the features of new GH5s to PV community requests to work out how much "influence" PV has had on Panasonic!

If the rumours are real- then I think this percentage could be very high.

• If this GH5 VE has about 1:1 4k pixels it wont has as detailed video in good light than GH5 which down samples the sensor from 20Mpixel.

• It would be good habit to mention source with link in the starting post.

• @Vesku

10.7mpx is enough to downscale to 4k. About quality, The sensor has different pattern, improving noise, I can't talk about color, since this pattern I'm not familiar with. also, is better for low light, since it's covering more space with less pixels, noise floor is minimised at sensor level. The sensor is BSI (back illuminated) this should reduce noise significantly. Even gh5 sensor kind off falls onto the old tech category.

Sony has 1 inch BSI sensor with really grate performance on Sony rxmk II, also a7 series uses BSI tech. M4/3 is bigger than 1 inch, but about 4 times smaller than full frame. This should give an idea of the sensor performance.

@sammy About DR, if gh5 has 12 stops, I Spect this to be about 14 to 15 stops on HDR mode, that I'm being optimistic.

• The GH5s with less megapixels (if it exists) will be for better low light. For better detailed image you can use the GH5 or G9 with 20 megapixels.

• It is sure that GH5s will have this 4/3 Starvis sensor? What are the source about this specific point? I cannot find any trousted news about it.

• Honestly- I'm just happy that Panasonic see the need for a professional video camera in a DSLR style package.

• @alcomposer, you have summed it up.

• @paglez Look on 43rummors.com

• @apefos It will (if true) be, a grate choice for all.

One thing though, I don't see this camera for 8k since that is 32mpx and it should be too much for m4/3 to handle size wise. Not even on a BSI sensor.

• @endotoxic It's only a mere speculation.

• It is. @paglez. But in time some rumors become a reality. I think this camera will happen. I heard from it before, but at this point why would not be?

• There is a newly leaked photo of the GH5S at Facebook:

23926556_10159533317740004_8326871661534108315_o.jpg
    1475 x 540 - 149K
  • From what Luke Nuemann has alluded to in other threads, it may not be a new camera, but perhaps some sort of mod or add-on for the GH5.

• Lol @ that picture. Tards.

• dual native iso in GH5 would solve the low light problem, and also two exposure hdr via firmware.